Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-31-2018, 06:13 PM   #1

Please Help .. Valve Stems Unreachable

Greetings .. I have a Jayco Redhawk 25R with duallys. I bought a TPMS and when installing them found I had to reach through the dual tires to get the outer tire's monitor on. Thank goodness being a woman my arms are slim and small hands ... any larger I would have never been able to reach them.

PROBLEM: The tires need air!! There are no long full service stations (showing my age), especially ones that service 30' motorhomes. I either need to buy my own heavy duty air compressor or I don't know what. I also need valve stem extensions?? but have no idea what to get. Even my tire pressure guage wont fit or reach. The stem for the outer tire is inside (between the 2 duallys) and is pointing towards the inner tire.

Very poor design for easy access to monitoring air pressure and filling tires with air.

Tips??? Tricks??? Advice????

Please, leaving for a trip in 10 days and don't want to travel on flat tires
FL_FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:32 PM   #2

By no means an expert, but I've had to deal with this recently myself on my first RV. Many recommend against extensions, but aside from swapping out completely, its an option. For the outside duallys, I went with 135 degree Wheel Masters extenders, and then 1 inch straight ones for the inside dually and the front. Makes it so much easier to add air. Might also want to consider getting a compressor to take with you.
GABob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:45 PM   #3

One more thing. You might want to consider valve stem extension stabilizers. shinyrv.com has them for the Ford E450. A bit of a pain to put in, but probably a good investment.

Should have also added...if it's too difficult for you to put the extenders on, just stop by any local tire place. You'll need to buy them first as they don't always stock what you'll need.

Amazon has the Wheel Masters extensions on prime, but you can shop them as well and could find them cheaper.
GABob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:00 PM   #4

While not the cheapest option, I highly recommend a small compressor to carry in your RV. I have always carried one and I use the Viair RV compressor kit. It comes with an inflator tip that can easily get to the inner and outer wheel. I has saved us and friends many times.

https://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-45053-A...air+compressor

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:03 PM   #5

Spend some money at a professional truck tire shop to have the proper rigid metal long valve stems installed on your wheels. There is no better way to prioritize your (and those around you) safety.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:44 PM   #6

Welcome Freebird to the forum.

Dually real wheels will require a different set of tire gauges than typical automotive types. Because the inner tire is facing the opposite of the outer tire, the stems are going to face inwards on the outer tire.

Some of the previous posts are right in suggesting that there are alternative extensions that are available for dually wheels that make inflating your tires easy with the traditional tire inflator and gauges. Or, you can purchase some truck tire gauges and fit your hand in that tight spot like many others also do.

The most important thing... is to have your tires at the right inflation pressure (listed on the side of your tire)
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:00 AM   #7
Site Team

Welcome to JOF. Good advice from others on solutions.

My comment is make this a priority before your next trip to prevent excess tire wear and all other type problems. Having correct tire pressure is one of the most important things you can do to have a happy Camping experience.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:29 AM   #8

On our class C’s do the front tires get the most air? I have a 2018 Greyhawk with the Hankook tires. Sidewall says max psi of 80. On our Jayco TT we were always close to ridding at max gvwr so I would always keep them at 65 psi the max for the GY endurance tires. Is it the same concept here? 80 psi all around since there’s really not that much allowance for adding weight and already nearly max GVWR?
Thx everyone
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:08 AM   #9

Welcome to the forum. Any tire shop should be able to fill your tires to the proper level. Others have mentioned a truck tire gage. This is what they are talking about.
https://www.amazon.com/TireTek-Truck...pressure+gauge
There are several choices for you in every price range. This type of gage will make checking your pressure much easier with what you have now. If you want upgraded valves I can recommend these people.
Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis

Good luck and safe travels.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studiovette View Post
On our class C’s do the front tires get the most air? I have a 2018 Greyhawk with the Hankook tires. Sidewall says max psi of 80. On our Jayco TT we were always close to ridding at max gvwr so I would always keep them at 65 psi the max for the GY endurance tires. Is it the same concept here? 80 psi all around since there’s really not that much allowance for adding weight and already nearly max GVWR?
Thx everyone
Your door placard will tell you 80 pounds in the back, 75 pounds in the front. I bet if you take your rig to a CAT scale you can probably put 70 pounds in the front.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:43 AM   #11

Keep in mind-the max pressure on sidewall is for Bead seat pressure when mounting tire.
The proper pressure for tires is on label inside of drivers door opening
harleydawg57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:22 AM   #12

Now I see it. Duhhh [emoji38]
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:39 AM   #13

Lots of Discount tire shops here, they fill my dully tires for 12 year's!Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
quartsite flag XX.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_FreeBird View Post
Greetings .. I have a Jayco Redhawk 25R with duallys. I bought a TPMS and when installing them found I had to reach through the dual tires to get the outer tire's monitor on. Thank goodness being a woman my arms are slim and small hands ... any larger I would have never been able to reach them.

PROBLEM: The tires need air!! There are no long full service stations (showing my age), especially ones that service 30' motorhomes. I either need to buy my own heavy duty air compressor or I don't know what. I also need valve stem extensions?? but have no idea what to get. Even my tire pressure guage wont fit or reach. The stem for the outer tire is inside (between the 2 duallys) and is pointing towards the inner tire.

Very poor design for easy access to monitoring air pressure and filling tires with air.
You are not the first and won't be the last to discover this. It's a common dually issue. I worked for a small, local bus company and virtually every driver had the same problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Welcome to JOF. Good advice from others on solutions.

My comment is make this a priority before your next trip to prevent excess tire wear and all other type problems. Having correct tire pressure is one of the most important things you can do to have a happy Camping experience.
What he said ^^^^^.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
Welcome to the forum. Any tire shop should be able to fill your tires to the proper level. ...snip
What he said ^^^^^.

Personally, I've had excellent service from every Discount Tire store that I've stopped at.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:22 AM   #15

You all are missing the point that the OP said her valve stem for her outer tire is facing into the inner dual.
I would order new outer wheels that has the valve stem facing out.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 01:31 PM   #16

Thank You all For the helpful Advice :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_FreeBird View Post

I went to a tire center today that works on truck. Come to find out those fancy, shiny aluminum hub caps are just fluff. Taking them off gives MUCH more space to access the tire valves. I left them off for ease of airing up on the road. They also put extensions on the inside rear duallys valve so I can air up easier. That one is actually the outside tire, the inside tire is extended. Go figure. Surely wasn't designed by a woman, we are smarter than that

Now to get a tire gauge that will reach plus more importantly an air compressor. I suppose a 100psi? Rechargeable? Or could plug one in with the generator on if I have need to air up on the road.

All in all, feeling A LOT more secure to get on the road. Again thanks for all the help.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
You all are missing the point that the OP said her valve stem for her outer tire is facing into the inner dual.
I would order new outer wheels that has the valve stem facing out.
Thank you for the suggestion, but it's a brand new rig! Not buying new wheels at this point in the game. Had I realized this when I was shopping for a Motorhome I would have paid close attention to this extremely poor design.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:41 PM   #18

Rigid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
Spend some money at a professional truck tire shop to have the proper rigid metal long valve stems installed on your wheels. There is no better way to prioritize your (and those around you) safety.
They did install extension stems .. but with flexible hose. Are they safe?
Old 11-01-2018, 05:08 PM   #19

Some here are missing the point. Larger MH/RVs are built on a commercial truck chassis. This is the way duallies are done on them. Just the way it is.

Most truck stops, the semi truck lanes, have air stations at the pump to inflate them.
2017 Seneca 36FK
ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:21 PM   #20

The point is her outer duals have the valve stem that points IN toward her inner dual. My Precept built on the Ford F53 truck chassis both inner and outer valve stems point OUT. Mine are easy to fill with air but hers are a PITA because she has to reach in between the duals to get an air chuck on them.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air pressure, tire valves, tpms