Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-29-2018, 11:52 AM   #1

Pleather Disaster

Has anyone experienced the problem I am having - the upholstery in my Jayco Grey Hawk is disintegrating, flaking and peeling off, and this includes the driver's and passenger's seats? Jayco was no help so now I am looking for seat covers, any suggestions?
Fla-fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:01 PM   #2

Wet Okole seat covers
Old 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla-fish View Post
Has anyone experienced the problem I am having - the upholstery in my Jayco Grey Hawk is disintegrating, flaking and peeling off, and this includes the driver's and passenger's seats? Jayco was no help so now I am looking for seat covers, any suggestions?
That is terrible. I have not experienced that yet. Our Greyhawk is 3 years old. May I ask if you kept the windows covered while parked. We do most of the time but now I will be sure to do so all of the time. Thanks for posting this.
AlStevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:07 PM   #4

Welcome to JOF.

We have moved your post to the Class C forums.

We have the same issue with our '08 Jayco furniture. Someone mentioned in this thread "bonded leather";

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ing-60345.html
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Wet Okole seat covers
X2, You’ll be hard pressed to find nicer covers
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:14 PM   #6

Same thing on a 2011 Jayco Fifth Wheel - the fake leather has peeled off in hunks. But, the fake leather did last for two whole years, the same length as the warranty. Hmmm.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:06 PM   #7

Same here on my 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29ME. The booth seat's end caps pleather, because you have to slide in and out, are peeling. I talked to Jayco about this and they said to purchase new end caps for $125.00. "Why should I do that?" I questioned. "What do you mean by that?" was the return statement. I said "Well, isn't it still under warranty?". She explained to me that the pleather end caps are made by another company and they did not have a warranty on such an old unit. Holy crap! "It's only 2 years old and this started to peel from day one." I frustratingly argued to no avail. Hence I am trading my unit for a Tiffin. That's my solution and Jayco won't have to put up with me anymore.
wporzucek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 06:15 PM   #8

You need to treat your leather with a quality cleaner/conditioner every few months based on use. On my car I do it quarterly and something more often with Mothers leather conditioner.

Once it starts to disintegrate it is done. Basically it is little bits of leather glued to fabric.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
You need to treat your leather with a quality cleaner/conditioner every few months based on use. On my car I do it quarterly and something more often with Mothers leather conditioner.

Once it starts to disintegrate it is done. Basically it is little bits of leather glued to fabric.

I understand that real leather needs to be moisturized just like skin. It wouldn't matter if you used cosmoline on this fake leather type of covering. It is not leather. It is a specially treated vinyl to provide the texture and leather like feel, but leather it is not. It is just a cheap immitation. The whole issue is that the only way to prevent this product from peeling is to not use it or cover it. If not, it has to be replaced in just a few years depending on use. In my case I am replacing the entire RV with one that uses real leather. Just hope my peeling end caps on this Jayco aren't used to reduce my trade value.

I should have known better. Real leather is the only way to go.
wporzucek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:17 PM   #10

I took all the cushions from both the dinette and couch in to my local auto upholstery guy. This is from my 2017 31FS. I had all the foam replaced, since my butt would bottom out down to the wood with what they had in there. The existing foam was not adequate for an adult so I spec'ed a higher quality foam and it cost hundreds to do it. The guy told me that not only is the foam inadequate, but the spring supports beneath the foam in the couch are not adequate either. As far as the "vinyl" seating, it is nothing but spray painted cheap material and won't last without protection of some sort.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlStevie View Post
That is terrible. I have not experienced that yet. Our Greyhawk is 3 years old. May I ask if you kept the windows covered while parked. We do most of the time but now I will be sure to do so all of the time. Thanks for posting this.
My RV is kept under hard cover and with the windows closed and blinds drawn shut. I believe the problem is the material and Jayco's response to my complaint.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:13 AM   #12

It's been over 2 months now and you've been looking for seat covers so have you found any yet ?
Old 11-03-2018, 11:51 AM   #13

If you have to park outside like I do I recommend blocking sunlight and heat with foil faced bubble wrap that is sold as pipe insulation. I got mine from Menards but similar stuff on Amazon is:

https://www.amazon.com/Double-Bubble...ed+bubble+wrap

I cut window size pieces and put them between the shade and the glass. Several years old and second RV and is in good shape. I also cut pieces for the skylight and vents. Always much cooler in summer, when traveling we often leave them up until we arrive or on very hot sun days. Works to reduce heating on cold nights also.

Keeping down sun and heat should also extend leather and pleather life.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 01:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
It's been over 2 months now and you've been looking for seat covers so have you found any yet ?
No, none I feel comfortable in ordering online.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:44 AM   #15

Yes, and disturbing they just sprayed to keep uoolstery looking great.
HaileyBear123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:06 PM   #16

One of our members tried seat covers, but it didn't slow down the damage. The pressure and wear is still transferred to the seat materials.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla-fish View Post
No, none I feel comfortable in ordering online.

Jayco puts garbage interiors into their coaches and they know it. This has been an issue for some time. My furniture is peeling after a little over 2 years and we take good care of our RV inside and out. I have had problems with this coach all along, but I liked the layout of my 2018 Greyhawk 29 MV and have fixed most of the problems myself. I will have to recover all of the seats if I want to sell it. I am done with Jayco. My next RV will not be a Jayco. Buyer beware!
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:59 AM   #18

My driver and passenger seats on my 2018 Greyhawk 31DS started peeling as well, but thankfully 2 weeks prior to my 2 year warranty ending. Jayco had me go to my local dealer for verification, and after inspection, Jayco is replacing the seat covers under warranty. Problem now is I have been waiting nearly 2 1/2 months for the replacement covers to arrive at my dealer from Jayco, but they did say it would take awhile...
2015 EZ-GO TXT Golf Cart
South Jersey
K9Nardu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:46 AM   #19

That’s great. My Coach is about 5 months out of warranty so I am out of luck. It shouldn’t be this way. Jayco products are garbage. No quality control and use the cheapest components available. Thor has destroyed a good brand. Too bad this is my Last Jayco
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wporzucek View Post
I understand that real leather needs to be moisturized just like skin. It wouldn't matter if you used cosmoline on this fake leather type of covering. It is not leather. It is a specially treated vinyl to provide the texture and leather like feel, but leather it is not. It is just a cheap immitation. The whole issue is that the only way to prevent this product from peeling is to not use it or cover it. If not, it has to be replaced in just a few years depending on use. In my case I am replacing the entire RV with one that uses real leather. Just hope my peeling end caps on this Jayco aren't used to reduce my trade value.

I should have known better. Real leather is the only way to go.
I do understand the issues with any 'plastic' covering. However, leather down here in the south (even if moisturized with leather balm) will eventually crack from the sun. The best avoidance is garage or window covering.

That said, my coach has a Jayco vinyl covering on both cockpit seats. It is subject to any UV and I keep the windshield and windows covered during summer. I also keep the window shades in the coach section down in summer to preserve interior cabin cafe seats as well.

Michael and LaDonnah
2019 Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW - '06 Jeep TJ toad
Forestburg, Texas - Ham call - K5FT
msherw is offline   Reply With Quote