Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-31-2018, 10:19 AM   #1

Plumbing In Slide..Good Or Bad?

I was looking at the 30X. The kitchen is in the slide. Is there any problems associated with this?
Thank you all!
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:00 PM   #2

We have our W/D in a slide. No issues since purchase 8 months ago.
1963 IH Scout
brained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:02 PM   #3

The SENECAS have had kitchens in the slides since they started production in 2005.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLEO View Post
I was looking at the 30X. The kitchen is in the slide. Is there any problems associated with this?
Thank you all!
Great question RetiredLEO! Is there problems with plumbing in a slide...no but your dealing with a potential future problem.

From past experiences with plumbing and appliances like range and refrigerators in slideouts I will always avoid it if possible. In my humble opinion your just asking for trouble.

Think about it...water lines and drain lines going in and out with slide...who can't see this as a potential problem? I understand there are those that have such and have not had any issues. Why take that chance? Just another failure waiting to happen.

Refrigerators should not be in slides because of weight and venting. If a refrigerator (gas/electric rv style not residential) is located in a slide the venting cannot be roof mounted and you are asking for problems with proper cooling. I fought that battle and never again.

My only future floorplans (and our current 29mvp) will not have any bathroom or kitchen slides.

I also don't like the full wall slides. Again our 29mvp has two slides on the drivers side. The couch and dinette and the bedroom slide but bath or kitchen do not. Full wall slides tend to weaken the structure. Think of the motorhome without that full wall slide installed...see that big hole in the side from front to back? See the problem? Again, others will say they don't have any problems and I'm sure that is true but why take the chance?

Slides on the passenger side will make your enjoyment of sitting outside under the awning a bit difficult. Picture yourself using the outside awning and storage with slides out. Also you will limit your camping spots because slides on both sides need more room so if there are trees or other things in the way you may be out of luck.

Hope that helps some. Tough decision for sure. You must think about a lot of different stuff when looking at floorplans. Not an easy decision. Good luck!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:15 PM   #5

ReiredLeo, I totally agree with Cabinetmaker.
When plumbing moves in and out with a slide it’s a potential current/future problem.
Our last bus had plumbing in 2 of the four slides and needed reworking from day one of ownership.
Our best Motorhomes didn’t have any plumbing in the slides.
We learn as we go. Jimmyd
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
The SENECAS have had kitchens in the slides since they started production in 2005.
And electrical, no issues.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:28 PM   #7

My first Jayco had a kitchen in the slide. Some kitchen have sinks that are fix while the slide closes around it. In my case everything moved. A couple years later at 2 am one morning our smoke alarm went off. Not only did it wake us but we could smell a fire. Jayco had ran the drain for the sink over an outlet that was mounted on the floor and the water leaked right into the outlet causing it to short out and burn a hole in the floor. I will never buy an rv that has a sink in a slide out.
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:50 AM   #8

Thanks cabinetmaker. Jimmyd, whporwil,
That's the way I was kinda looking at it too. It seemed to make sense to me that with use and years everything wears out, why add more things to get worn out or cause problems? We we finally jump on one it will be our first and probably last coach. I want to do it (or as close as possible) to do it right the first time

I was thinking the same for slides. I feel a lot more comfortable with two smaller lighter slides than one huge long one.
What brand slide mechanism does Jayco use? Is it considered a good one?
Thanks to all..............you're the best!
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLEO View Post
Thanks cabinetmaker. Jimmyd, whporwil,
That's the way I was kinda looking at it too. It seemed to make sense to me that with use and years everything wears out, why add more things to get worn out or cause problems?
Speaking from experience, and knowing many with kitchen slides, that is not the case. I had a SENECA with a kitchen slide for 7 years, 2008SENECA's unit is 10 yrs old and I have 3 other friends with 06-08 units that have not had problems.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Speaking from experience, and knowing many with kitchen slides, that is not the case. I had a SENECA with a kitchen slide for 7 years, 2008SENECA's unit is 10 yrs old and I have 3 other friends with 06-08 units that have not had problems.
Oh, please don't tell anyone how old our RV is they may not let us in anymore.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote