Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2018, 04:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Mark... You already know how we roll, and there is nothing to warm ya up and gather the folks around like a campfire. Our experiences in FL were pretty mixed when we were there as most RV parks don't allow ANY type of fire in the individual campsites. Those that did allow a campfire were OK with propane, but would not allow any wood fires. It was iffy about using charcoal in a portable campfire bowl - as the rule was all up to the interpretation of the campground manager.

In Utah, we go thru an annual ritual where the Forest Service / BLM issues a fire-ban when the fire season is at the dangerous levels. That ban applies to Wood fires in open areas - but allows for Propane Campfires. When it is cold outside in the evening, we pull out our Camp-Chef https://www.campchef.com/fire-pits/p...-fire-pit.html and a portable cylinder to power it. (should have showed you when we were together earlier this year)

When we have the opportunity for a real wood fire - that is the preferred way we go. We even have loaded a trailer up with wood to supply us for a week in camp. When the wind is blowing, then we forfeit the wood fire and play it safe with the Propane fire.

As far as fuel use... we go thru a lot of wood... or propane. We can kill a BBQ cylinder in two nights, but as you might expect... the regulator on ours is not the stock setup. (think Tim Allen... more power)

I think the one you chose will work just fine... albeit the flame will be limited to what the regulator will allow. (( You can call me and I will give you the 411 on how we modified ours - I don't want to post that on the forum))
Go big or go home, right Steve? Lol. Thinking of heading out your way after Labor Day when we leave Angel Fire, NM. Want to meet and teach me how to go wheeling Utah style? Moab maybe?
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:30 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
Decided to use my spare 20lb tank and found a good spot for it. When it runs dry I can got to Home Depot or anywhere propane is sold or exchanged. Tried it out and flames will give an nice ambiance, which is really all we are looking for. Once it get cold my Florida raised DW will be inside. Waiting for dark to try it tonight.
We carry two of the 20lb tanks... we also have a Camp-chef stove that gets a lot of grilling done on it too... We end up going thru a tank every two days between the fire-ring and the Stove, and having a spare tank to swap out at a moments notice also allows us to go and get the one-refilled the next day while we are running around. They fit great side by side in one of the smaller storage bays on the drivers side.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:52 PM   #23

And we have fire 🔥.
Attached Thumbnails
87E5CAD4-6553-4C73-9884-FC1130BA5635.jpg  
Old 04-18-2018, 07:46 AM   #24

We have a smaller one, but the poor exposure on the photo doesn't do it justice. It's just the right size for us.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0249.jpg  
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:55 AM   #25

Quote:
Go big or go home, right Steve? Lol. Thinking of heading out your way after Labor Day when we leave Angel Fire, NM. Want to meet and teach me how to go wheeling Utah style? Moab maybe?
I like your fire idea...we have reservations for the Angel Fire RV Resort for the end of June first of July. Our first time t stay in this area. We are familiar with Taos and Red River but not Angle Fire. Wanted to see something different. Any recommendations would be very much appreciated!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:23 PM   #26

Quote:
Absolutely!!! Give Stacy and I a call this week!
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:16 PM   #27

Quote:
Ok, I ordered this on Amazon along with a 12’ quick disconnect hose. Should be here Tuesday.

I ran the “video of a fire” idea past DW and as expected, she was very closed minded to the idea. ��
I hope it works out for you. I ordered the same one and after taking on a camping trip I returned it. We found it disappointing, it was to small and provided little heat unless we powered it up all the way. I may give the larger one a try.
arodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:22 PM   #28

I prefer wood but carry a propane fire pit when burning is not allowed. I use a separate propane bottle, but I pack that around anyway to fire the BBQ and outdoor cookstove. Propane fires are easy but they don’t make as much heat, or have the ambiance of a real campfire. I have never had much luck cooking s’mores on a propane fire either.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:33 AM   #29

I went to a retired firefighter mini reunion and everybody made fun of my “Little Red Campfire” in a can. At least until nightfall and then everybody sat around my fire. And the best part, when I got tired I simply turned off the gas and everybody left. Exactly what I was looking for.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:47 AM   #30

I use the Solo Stove Bonfire wood burning pit for most fires. I also travel with 2 extra tanks and use the tank topper heaters for having morning coffee since it quick an easy or if a fire ban is in effect or if a little more heat is needed than the fire can put out.
MadJoker TX is offline   Reply With Quote