Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-07-2022, 02:50 PM   #1
MDR

Possible drive train noise

2022 jayco 27u. Had the rig in at a Ford Truck dealership for a noise coming from towards the rear between 65 to 70 miles mph they tried putting weights on the drive shaft balance the tires to no avail ,they nicely said to take it back to the RV dealership.Any one else have the same issue or thoughts. Fortunately I like to cruise at 60 mph which is nice and smooth.
Thanks
MDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 07:04 PM   #2

There are quite a few posts on this issue. Try removing the second set of carrier bearing shims one at a time to see if the noise reduces. I had to remove both and now the drive shaft looks straighter and is much more quiet.
Old 12-09-2022, 08:05 AM   #3

I had the noise and lots of other issues. Depending on if your chassis was stretched and the amount, the driveshaft noise (they ALL have noise) will be more pronounced. Mine was loud starting around 62 and going away above 67mph. You can try the carrier bearing shims, though sometimes you can make it worse. The bearings do not have locating pins and you can easily misalign it.

Some of the welded pieces in the center from other rigs I have gotten under appear to have poor quality control with regard to the angle and position of the center support structure.

When I took the rig down to LW Enginering that stretched the chassis, they reset the angles (even installed an angled shim) and ended up installing a foam filled driveshaft. It fixed most of the noise. Still other problems present.

As far as I can tell from their "engineering" teams, they have done no NVH analysis on how the mods are affecting the chassis performance and YMMV.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 06:14 AM   #4
MDR

I had the rig in to ford dealership they were very helpful did there best small improvement ( check all tires for balance check rear differential put some weights on the drive shaft at no charge &#128077and said take it back to jayco dealership (&#128577 they have the unit now so we shall see🤞
Old 12-11-2022, 07:15 PM   #5

Let us know if you get it solved
Old 12-13-2022, 02:48 PM   #6
MDR

The latest is the jayco dealership says it’s not the drive shaft and is a ford rear differential issue so another ford dealer is picking up the rv to look at it ( nice of them to pick it up from jayco as it’s 45 min trip one way).
I will keep you posted
Old 04-23-2023, 04:59 PM   #7

This is happening with us too. Ford had it for weeks and decided it’s a jayco problem. Jayco dealer 2 hours each way CHARGED us to check the problem but said can’t find it here’s your rv back.
Craycray4553 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 06:12 PM   #8
MDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craycray4553 View Post
This is happening with us too. Ford had it for weeks and decided it’s a jayco problem. Jayco dealer 2 hours each way CHARGED us to check the problem but said can’t find it here’s your rv back.
The latest on mine is they rebuilt the rear end. Still noise etc and now they are sending the drive shafts out . After a test drive with tech and he was nice enough but basically said that’s all they can come up with ☹️
Old 04-24-2023, 08:27 AM   #9

We had a similar issue in our 2018 Greyhawk, turned out the bearing at the rear of the transmission was bad. It was covered under the Ford warrantee. we also had the driveshaft balanced and a drive line alignment. All appears to be well now.
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 04:02 PM   #10

I take that back we didn’t pay Ford for that it’s under warranty. But ford had it for maybe 6 weeks and did basically nothing except tighten rear stabilizer.
We paid the Jayco dealer in NY for as he said “ taking the time to look at our issues.” We never had anyone charge us to look at a problem and then not fix it.
Craycray4553 is offline   Reply With Quote