Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-17-2021, 10:16 AM   #1

Possible leak in overhead cap

2018 jayco 29w 40000 wonderful miles. Had her washed yesterday and noticed a piece of molding slightly buckled. Peeled it back and got several drips of water. Under molding appears that this is not new. Have checked carefully on roof, running lights, window, moisture detector and am unable to determine a source. We're in a very damp humid area and thinking maybe the metal in the cap is sweating enough to cause this. I have opened the area up so i can monitor when and the amount of water.
Any ideas would be appreciated. The photo is just above the driver's side door. To properly orient rotate 90 degrees to the right.
Bduck100
Attached Thumbnails
20210717_115422.jpg  
Bduck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 05:24 PM   #2

I can't tell for sure what direction is up or where its at. I can see (I think) a tree in the background so that would rotate 90 to the left.

I had a similar issue behind driver door. Same molding was vertical just behind from cab connection to the side wall. I didn't open it up as I don't recall it being open but bending where it would. I just put some dicor on it. Doesn't look great but its dry.

Even if there was a small hole there before it could have had few drops from a pin hole.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:29 PM   #3

Thanks mini4, I think I have found the leak in a window in the overhead compartment. Sprayed lots of water on the window and water began to come out of the area on the photos. I have sealed the window and all the windows so hopefully that will solve the problem. I will report back with the results.
Bduck100
Old 08-08-2021, 02:01 PM   #4

Still getting water in overhead cap. Wondering if condensation can form on the inside wall of the fiberglass. I am in a rainforest extremely high humidity area. Doesn't seem to leak during a hard rain but after the rain even the next morning maybe 6-7 hours later begin to see water dripping from the gasket I have opened up under the cap above the driver's side. Once the condensation is dry on the outside of the over head cap there is no more dripping...any ideas?
Old 08-08-2021, 02:11 PM   #5

Attached is a photo of where I am seeing the leak. I have pulled the gasket loose and have a paper towel to monitor how much and when the leak occurs...I have calked every possible leak point on the roof and even taken off the overhead marker lights.
Attached Thumbnails
20210808_160329.jpg