Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-27-2018, 01:45 PM   #1

Power awning problem.

I have a 2018 redhawk 31xl. After fully extended the awning will not retract with manually helping to start it. When not turning the interior lights go out. Seems like a weak 12 volt power problem. Stair retraction is also marginal.

Anyone else see this?
Kocomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 01:49 PM   #2

When I had a bad house battery or under charged house battery
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 01:55 PM   #3

Rv is new and the house battery shows a full charge. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kocomo View Post
I have a 2018 redhawk 31xl. After fully extended the awning will not retract with manually helping to start it. When not turning the interior lights go out. Seems like a weak 12 volt power problem. Stair retraction is also marginal.

Anyone else see this?
Do they appear normal when plugged in or while the generator is running?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 02:56 PM   #5

Lights seem normal when not running anything else. Turning on the bathroom fan also dims the lights.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:04 PM   #6

Remove the battery and have it tested.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:33 PM   #7

Sounds like a bad ground somewhere to me. Things are working (sort of) but voltage is dropping under load. Not sure where to tell you to look as if it affects a lot of systems, it could be anywhere, but i agree....test the battery just to be sure, then go after the main chassis ground from the battery. From there???????????????
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:05 PM   #8

New coach I would suspect bad battery.

These things sit for months before during and after production. If it was ever allowed to be fully depleted even once it could cause this.

I would be replacing the battery.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:57 AM   #9

Power awning problem.

I had a similar problem. Turn on fan and over head lights dimmed. Turn on headlights and house lights lights went out. Found the rear ground connection snapped off. Secured it to the frame and it works fine now. The power was grounding through the marker lights on the house. With the overhead lights on I could see the marker lights glowing. While I have a seneca I would think the boxes are built similarly. Check the rear cap around the trailer hitch and frame. The other main ground is under the entrance stairs below the coach 12 v shutoff button. These units are assembled using wiring harnesses that they drop in place and hook up. The harnesses are then grounded in a few locations so a bad ground can effect a large number of items. In my case just the overhead and marker lights were involved. All other lights were fine when running the fan or the headlights re on. So by determining what it involved you can determine if it a ground issue or battery issue.

They use power tools with self tapping screws, and they stress the screws. I have replaced at least 30 screws due to mechanical failure.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:35 PM   #10

Not sure of problem you see but I would suspect the battery. If you are connected to shore power the converter should keep battery even under load at greater than 13 volts. Based on Amp hour rating for the battery there should be no issue. I have a 2017 Redhawk and I replaced the lousy Harris battery 6 mo. after buying the motorhome. I would measure battery voltage while you are extending or retracting awning. You need to check under load probably something greater than the lights to see how battery is performing under heavy draw of current.
xmtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:21 PM   #11

Similar problem for me this weekend. 2nd awning on our 2018 377 blows the fuse. It blows the fuse at the wireless controller. Not the fuse in the power center. The lights in our camper also dimmed when you push the button for the awning. I m figuring a dead short or bad ground. Could be a bad motor too i guess. Am going to try to troubleshoot myself before a trip to the dealer. Any thoughts??
Old 05-29-2018, 01:25 PM   #12

Power awning problem.

Quick check for ground issue. Pull one of dimming lights and run a temporary ground to the lights. If this fixes issue then you have bad ground.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:35 PM   #13
bap

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
Quick check for ground issue. Pull one of dimming lights and run a temporary ground to the lights. If this fixes issue then you have bad ground.
2nd that. Lots of times, they screw the ground to the frame with self tapping screws over the paint creating a poor ground connection.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:24 PM   #14

Checked voltage at the house battery. It was13v while plugged in and 12v when unplugged. Voltage did not seem to drop when not plugged in and lights on. Fluid level in the battery was fine. Will check the grounding points noted above. It is a Harris battery. Heard some grumbling on them.