Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-16-2020, 07:46 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Yeah, but with it plugged in inside that compartment, you can't see the readout to see what's going on.

I just hang my portable EMS at the pedestal, and use a cable lock to secure it from "walking" away. Depending on where the pedestal is, I can look out the window from the rig and see the read outs.
I check the readout when I first plug in to the pedestal while it’s counting down until it initiates. If there is a problem you will see it, (I’ve found reverse polarity) Once that’s all ok I have a digital 120 volt meter display plugged in to an outlet inside my RV to monitor voltage. It there is a problem with your electrical supply the surge will do its job. I never run outside and check my surge, I’m camping.

I also have a digital 12 volt display with 2 USB chargers to monitor the house batteries state of charge.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:13 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vfoote3 View Post
I’m trying to visualize it. Do you have a pic of the mod?
Not on me but I’ll post it this week.

It was fairly easy;

1st obviously make sure you are not plugged in to shore power and generator is off and there is no power going in and out of you RV.

2. Pull all the cord straight out of that little storage compartment, (not through the grommet), then measure out apx 2-3 feet from where the cord connects to that junction box inside the cubby, (enough cord to work outside the cubby with)

3. Cut the cord and add a male end to this, 2-3’ side hanging out of the cubby.

4. Then add a female end to the remnants of the cord.

Now you can plug the female end of the surge protector into that short tail coming out of the cubby/storage compartment, push up the female end of the power cord up through the grommet on the cubby, plug in to the surge protectors male end, then tuck it all back in to the cubby and lock it up.

Hope this helps. I found it very annoying trying to wrestle that cord in/out of that small compartment, so now I’ve solved 2 problems!

I also purchased a very inexpensive, plug in, digital volt meter off amazon to monitor voltage from inside the RV. I have it plugged in to one of my kitchen outlets so it’s always visible at a glance.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:18 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
Not on me but I’ll post it this week.

It was fairly easy;

1st obviously make sure you are not plugged in to shore power and generator is off and there is no power going in and out of you RV.

2. Pull all the cord straight out of that little storage compartment, (not through the grommet), then measure out apx 2-3 feet from where the cord connects to that junction box inside the cubby, (enough cord to work outside the cubby with)

3. Cut the cord and add a male end to this, 2-3’ side hanging out of the cubby.

4. Then add a female end to the remnants of the cord.

Now you can plug the female end of the surge protector into that short tail coming out of the cubby/storage compartment, push up the female end of the power cord up through the grommet on the cubby, plug in to the surge protectors male end, then tuck it all back in to the cubby and lock it up.

Hope this helps. I found it very annoying trying to wrestle that cord in/out of that small compartment, so now I’ve solved 2 problems!

I also purchased a very inexpensive, plug in, digital volt meter off amazon to monitor voltage from inside the RV. I have it plugged in to one of my kitchen outlets so it’s always visible at a glance.
Is there a good brand to buy for the inside digital meter? If not what the brand name on yours so I know what I am looking for. Thank you for you response. Jack
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:21 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamerjk View Post
Is there a good brand to buy for the inside digital meter? If not what the brand name on yours so I know what I am looking for. Thank you for you response. Jack
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0744GWFRM..._A-usEbC6KA8KX
Old 02-16-2020, 08:25 AM   #45

Quote:
Make sure whichever surge protector you buy fits in the cubby with the door closed and locked, first, before you cut the cord. My progressive 30 amp is very large but has flexible ends so it just fits in with the door closed.

Good luck, John
Old 02-16-2020, 09:52 AM   #46

Quote:
Thank you
Old 02-16-2020, 10:14 AM   #47

Quote:
Thank you
Also make sure the new female end you buy fits through the cubby grommet, I had one that was to tight. Buy the minnie’s.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:16 AM   #48

Quote:
Make sure whichever surge protector you buy fits in the cubby with the door closed and locked, first, before you cut the cord. My progressive 30 amp is very large but has flexible ends so it just fits in with the door closed.

Good luck, John
John, sounds like a great mod and I could do that with my TT as well. I have a portable 30amp PI EMS and the only issue I see with your mod is if it gets fried by lightning, I'd rather have it outside as it would basically become sacrificial at that point.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:22 AM   #49

I’m not to concerned about getting fried by lightning, the most issues you’ll run into will be more like reverse polarity and losing one leg of service, (known as a brown out). I worked in electronic business for many years, had my own company, those are the biggest issues I’ve seen. In fact two years ago when we were camping, I believe it was In the Carolina’s, at a really nice CG, and lightning had struck the campsite taking out their Wi-Fi service. I felt like it was right next to my rig! Loud as hell!. The power went off and back on again nothing happened to my surge or my rig!
Old 02-16-2020, 02:45 PM   #50

Power Watchdog. Had progressive and it was replaced first time three years ago. Last year it took a hit and they told me to open and take a pic. They said it took a surge and was not covered. Raised heck and sent it to them on my dime. Told yup to a hit not covered. Seems new company
Only covers factory defects and not surge problems. Watchdog u can see use on phone and if it takes a hit u can buy a replaceable module. Progressive went down the commode with new company.
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:24 PM   #51

Surge protector for 30 amp for jayco eagle 8

I'm new to camping and now the owner of a 97 Jayco Eagle 8 popup (small box popup). Should I purchase a surge protector and if so what are your recommendations? Please be specific with your information since I'm a newbie....thank you in advance.
TravelChic56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:39 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelChic56 View Post
I'm new to camping and now the owner of a 97 Jayco Eagle 8 popup (small box popup). Should I purchase a surge protector and if so what are your recommendations? Please be specific with your information since I'm a newbie....thank you in advance.
Hi Newbie welcome to the forum. Yes, protect your pop up with a surge protector. I think it’s best if you read through this entire post. There have been many recommendations here. Also look at the amazon reviews.

It’s ultimately your decision. But you need one. When you go to a campground and you see “that guy” cutting the lawn, chances are he’s also the house electrician too!
Old 02-16-2020, 08:23 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelChic56 View Post
I would say what you are plugging into you outlets. Tv, microwave, fridge, and so forth and do you want to replace them all at once? Then yes I would recommend it . Just read this forum on which one to purchase and decide from that. It is up to you if you want to spend the money.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:26 AM   #54

Same here, very similar story. Porgressive replaced it in a very timely manner after we sent in the pictures. Great company.
DebandTominFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:04 AM   #55

Hi guys, would someone mind helping out a rookie?
It seems most people recommend the PWD30-EPO. What is the advantage of getting that one over the cheaper PWD30 version? There is quite a price difference and I'm ok with it as long as I can understand why lol
JeepnRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:26 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnRv View Post
Hi guys, would someone mind helping out a rookie?
It seems most people recommend the PWD30-EPO. What is the advantage of getting that one over the cheaper PWD30 version? There is quite a price difference and I'm ok with it as long as I can understand why lol
EPO Stan's for Emergency power off. Which will shut down the spike or low voltage before it hits all your electronics in your rig. That is the one to get if you do not want to lose everything in your rig and have to replace it all at once. It can be very expressive. Like a low voltage can even start a fire in the wiring and you could loose everything.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:34 AM   #57

Quote:
EPO Stan's for Emergency power off. Which will shut down the spike or low voltage before it hits all your electronics in your rig. That is the one to get if you do not want to lose everything in your rig and have to replace it all at once. It can be very expressive. Like a low voltage can even start a fire in the wiring and you could loose everything.
Thank you! I thought that was what a surge protector did but if the base won't do that, guess I have to go with the EPO version.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:52 AM   #58

Any reason to go portable vs the hard wire? I like the fact that you don't have to worry about theft if you go hardwire.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:22 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnRv View Post
Any reason to go portable vs the hard wire? I like the fact that you don't have to worry about theft if you go hardwire.
Not sure about that. I do know it says it is watertight so you could add a little extra protection if you want to. I would suggest that you buy a cable with a lock so you can lock it up so no one steals it. Just a suggestion because I have heard people do steal them.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:02 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Power Watchdog. Had progressive and it was replaced first time three years ago. Last year it took a hit and they told me to open and take a pic. They said it took a surge and was not covered. Raised heck and sent it to them on my dime. Told yup to a hit not covered. Seems new company
Only covers factory defects and not surge problems. Watchdog u can see use on phone and if it takes a hit u can buy a replaceable module. Progressive went down the commode with new company.
They're owned by Brunswick Corp.. Same company that owns Boston Whaler boats and Mercury Marine.. Not sure how long they've owned Progressive Industries.