Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-21-2020, 01:26 PM   #101

which ems is best for 2020 jayco pinnacle. Do I need a portable one too? what if there is only 30 where we camp? Cannot wrap head around this. I checked with a company who sells these amd they said we need a portable too. Confused non electrician new camper..new 5th wheel.
Joetker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 01:40 PM   #102

You've been told numerous times in this thread what you need, you seem to be overthinking the problem. If you have a unit that has 50 amp capability then buy an EMS unit rated at 50 amp. If you only have 30 amp at pedestal then you'll need a 30/50 amp dogbone adapter. The EMS unit won't care if you only have 30 available. You DO NOT NEED two EMS units.

pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:32 PM   #103

EMS-HW50C

Hardwired RV Surge & Electrical Protector

got it! thanks!
Joetker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:43 AM   #104

Which model was it? I had a 30 amp ems progressive but it didn’t have a cover. Will need to buy a 50amp one a new TH.
Vfoote3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:26 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vfoote3 View Post
Which model was it? I had a 30 amp ems progressive but it didn’t have a cover. Will need to buy a 50amp one a new TH.
Looks like EMS-HW50C . I believe that's the Hughes EPO model that you would want. Amazon carries them or direct from Hughes.
Congrats on the new TT!
pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:46 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vfoote3 View Post

They added the cover to the PT30x 3/4 years ago.. prior to then they didn’t have a plug cover.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:59 PM   #107

Having owned both the Progressive and the Hughes (now), I can say w/o a doubt I’m a fan of the Hughes. I do like the bluetooth function that tells me what’s going on w/o a monitor added on like the Progressive hardwired units. But the really big thing I like about the Hughes? Much as I thought I would when I researched it, its the whips at both end of the unit AND the whip end that goes to the pedestal is long.

Why do I like that so much?

I leave my EMS in my cord bay that’s why. I cut my cord and put a Camco male end on it. I put the EMS in the storage bay and I plug it in right there. That long pedestal whip works great to snake it through the hole in the storage compartment to connect to another run of cord. I don’t worry about my EMS walking, getting wet, sun faded, etc. Super easy.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:47 PM   #108
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I put the EMS in the storage bay and I plug it in right there. That long pedestal whip works great to snake it through the hole in the storage compartment to connect to another run of cord. I don’t worry about my EMS walking, getting wet, sun faded, etc. Super easy.

How are you going to keep that extension connection from shorting out in the rain?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:59 PM   #109

It dangles under the camper, under a slide-out. The rain would have to drive pretty hard sideways to get at it.

Old 05-09-2020, 05:54 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
How are you going to keep that extension connection from shorting out in the rain?
You know, I thought about this last night but it was too late to get out of bed to post about it. Hughes has the both whip ends uncovered - so apparently they aren’t concerned with rain hitting a junction. The pedestal whip end goes under the cover of the box, but the other whip end just sits out there in the open. Similar to a lot of the SurgeGuard products.

Old 05-09-2020, 09:12 AM   #111
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
You know, I thought about this last night but it was too late to get out of bed to post about it. Hughes has the both whip ends uncovered - so apparently they aren’t concerned with rain hitting a junction. The pedestal whip end goes under the cover of the box, but the other whip end just sits out there in the open. Similar to a lot of the SurgeGuard products.
The reason I asked, I've had standard 115v extension cords plugged together, and exposed to the rain, and have seen them short out and burn up. So, I would think a 30 amp or 50 amp extension cord could do the same thing if not protected. I learned a long time ago, water and electric don't mix well...
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:17 AM   #112

I wonder if some dielectric grease would solve that problem .... hrm.

At any rate my procedure is short coach whip —> Hughes EMS —> cord —> pedestal.

If the voltage is low or gets low, I do this: short coach whip —> Hughes EMS —> 10’ cord —> Hughes Autoformer —> cord —> pedestal. I do the 10’ cord to autoformer so I can cable tie the autoformer to a leaf spring under the camper (and also keep the autoformer out of the elements since its under the camper.

Old 01-14-2022, 10:52 AM   #113

Quote:
Having owned both the Progressive and the Hughes (now), I can say w/o a doubt I’m a fan of the Hughes. I do like the bluetooth function that tells me what’s going on w/o a monitor added on like the Progressive hardwired units. But the really big thing I like about the Hughes? Much as I thought I would when I researched it, its the whips at both end of the unit AND the whip end that goes to the pedestal is long.

Why do I like that so much?

I leave my EMS in my cord bay that’s why. I cut my cord and put a Camco male end on it. I put the EMS in the storage bay and I plug it in right there. That long pedestal whip works great to snake it through the hole in the storage compartment to connect to another run of cord. I don’t worry about my EMS walking, getting wet, sun faded, etc. Super easy.
So you suggest a hardwired EMS mounted in electrical storage bay? Have a Alante 31v and looking to purchase Hughs 30 Amp Bluetooth Surge Protector With Auto Shutoff.

To hardwire, cut shore line in storage bay, connect rig side of shoreline to EMS out and the male shoreline connector end to the EMS in? Pretty handy just checking.
samalf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 12:19 PM   #114

I keep a roll of blue painters tape where I store my
Watchdog. I keep the prongs greased and after connecting my power cord to watchdog put a piece of tape around the plug. Easy fix for keeping out water.
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 03:03 PM   #115

I like the Progressive EMS-PT30X. Saved my rig on a few occasions.
Jaytalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 08:33 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
I keep a roll of blue painters tape where I store my
Watchdog. I keep the prongs greased and after connecting my power cord to watchdog put a piece of tape around the plug. Easy fix for keeping out water.
Im going to steel your method of using blue tape to keep water out. Your right, that blue tape is all you need, after all, it’s not like the plug ends are submerged in water, although I’ve had pedestals so low that the plug will rest on the ground. Now that’s an issue I’ve had plenty of times. To combat this issue, I use a 50/30 pigtail off the 50amp outlet, so it gives me enough slack so I can wire tie my surge up off the ground.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 09:18 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
Im going to steel your method of using blue tape to keep water out. Your right, that blue tape is all you need, after all, it’s not like the plug ends are submerged in water, although I’ve had pedestals so low that the plug will rest on the ground. Now that’s an issue I’ve had plenty of times. To combat this issue, I use a 50/30 pigtail off the 50amp outlet, so it gives me enough slack so I can wire tie my surge up off the ground.
I have had a bunch of low pedestals also like that. I use a piece of 4x4 to keep it off the ground. I also carry a cable and lock to ensure it does not walk when we r gone all day. I made a small check list after doing some stupid things over the years. I have left behind my nice adjustable water regulator and almost forgot my watchdog once leaving in a rain storm.
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote