Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-22-2018, 12:03 PM   #21

Just keep in mind it is unlawful for the RV driver to be watching HDTV while driving down the Public Road. I'm sure you have pulled up behind some SUV's and RV's and can see the HDTV working through the rear window. The local Law Enforcement can see the same thing...

The RV manf is just following SAFETY RULES by having your HDTV non functional when the RV has it's motor running. Its all done for a good reason... You might get a ticket if the Law Enforcement can easy see the Driver can observe a working HDTV screen while driving down the public roadway...

Just saying hehe...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:10 PM   #22

One thing that might help you is something I found when working on my batteries. As another has suggested, get with jayco and get your schematics. I was able to find the ignition cut-out circuit in my electrical bay and was able to disconnect it, there. There is significantly more space and it would not be hard to re-connect it with a butt-connector, or if you wanted to be extra-fancy, install a toggle switch or removable fuse-link in-line with this so it could be easily reconnected, should you and Johnny-law come to a disagreement. On mine, the wire was purple and was tied to the ignition relay switch.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:59 PM   #23

Glad you found out is was a simple fix.
Memphis has good idea and that is where i would make the disconnect, just be sure you understand the wiring in that area. The run relay wire is used for the battery isolation switch and electric stairs if you have them and a miss cut wire could stop something from operating correctly.

We have the entertainment center in our coach and this cut out feature is not used in this system. The tv and dvd player work even if the engine is running. It would be impossible for me to see the tv from the drivers seat so maybe that is why they don't have the solenoids.

Best of luck on your trip, the tv will certainly make it more enjoyable for the kids.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:01 AM   #24

Janepatm, I will definitely do that! Thanks for the info!

memphis02, I like that idea better still! I'll see if I can get that schematic and run down that wire.

RVermont, I agree! More investigating before cutting for sure!
hussieskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:22 PM   #25

Does anyone have photos of this modification in any of it's forms? I can't get my outlets in the front to work in any fashion (key in or out of ignition, generator on, inverter on) but I'd love to know where the soleniod is and any photos would be VERY helpful. I will post pics of what I find. Here are the photos I have right now.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5400.jpg   IMG_9001.jpg   IMG_2088.jpg   interior2.jpg  
Old 02-16-2018, 08:32 AM   #26

Here is what I found while I was in my bay. -I had contacted Jayco for prints as I was having an intermittent problem with my gen that would cause it to turn off randomly, if auto-gen was enabled. On that print, I also found the cut-out circuit and noticed that it was next to the circuit I was working on.

In the first photo, you can see the circuit in the print.

In photo 2, you can see the purple wire, which goes to my cut-out relay in the TV's 110 outlet.

In the 3rd photo, I've outlined in red/white where that wire connects to a blue/white jumper on the solenoid.

Assuming your setup is similar, you might be able to put a disconnect somewhere along that line.
Attached Thumbnails
Untitled-1.jpg   Untitled-2.jpg   Untitled-3.jpg  
Old 02-16-2018, 08:39 AM   #27

As one more note for future reference. Call or write jayco customer service and ask for electrical prints for you unit. Just provide them the vin I am not sure how long they keep these but many people have had great success with obtaining them. These are valuable for this type of situation.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:14 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
As one more note for future reference. Call or write jayco customer service and ask for electrical prints for you unit. Just provide them the vin I am not sure how long they keep these but many people have had great success with obtaining them. These are valuable for this type of situation.

Good luck.

It used to be said that Jayco would not provide such information while the RV was still within warranty but that may have changed, and it doesn't hurt to ask.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:50 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post

Good luck.

Thank you! I'll do that ASAP
Old 02-16-2018, 01:52 PM   #30

memphis02 - Thanks for the photos, very very helpful! I'll take a look. Any ideas why I would have NO power to those two outlets even with the key removed from the ignition? All other outlets work fine with my new GFCI installed.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:54 PM   #31

My Seneca has 2 sets of breakers for outlets that are connected to the generator. You might start checking there. If you find both sets (assuming yours has 2 sets) latched and in a normal state, you might look at the inverter, itself, to ensure that it doesn't have a tripped breaker/gfci.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:35 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
memphis02 - Thanks for the photos, very very helpful! I'll take a look. Any ideas why I would have NO power to those two outlets even with the key removed from the ignition? All other outlets work fine with my new GFCI installed.
Is the inverter bad or just the RESET button on the front tripped?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:08 AM   #33

I asked for electrical and piping schematics for my rig - I had them inside of two days. The electrical is 30+ pages, the plumbing, well, they are a bunch of assembly drawings, there is no single/one-line diagram. However, I did get them when I asked for them and provided my VIN number. BTW, I'm still under the original 2 year warranty.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:42 PM   #34

UPDATE: Before we set out on our journey to Disney earlier this month, I chose to make this modification. I wanted the kids to be able to watch DVDs on the way down to FL. So I went back into this thread and read the first page, and I remembered my INITIAL plan. I executed my INITIAL plan. That plan consisted of CUTTING the purple or red or whatever the relay wire was. Checked my work, and I was pleased that the TV came on with the engine on.

We set out for Disney and within minutes of getting on the freeway, the kids screamed for a Disney movie. "Fire it up!," I proudly responded. Turned the TV on, explained to the wif how to select the appropriate input, grabbed the movie and inserted it in the DVD player on the head unit, and... "Video playback is disabled while the vehicle in motion."

"W.T.F. !!!"

And so there it is... I didn't quite test the full functionality of my plan. And to further reinforce my idiocy, I did CUT that relay wire (when my real plan was to just bypass the relay)...and I cut really close to the relay...there will be no repair, there will only be replace. That is if I can fish the wire out from behind the cabinet wall -- it was so taught that it nearly snapped into the hole I was pulling it out of.

Three lessons: Never cut. Find any way to solve the problem without cutting. Cutting is permanent. And, in this case for sure, potentially causes more work to correct back to normal.

Second lesson, test every combination of operation before committing to the change permanently. I never even thought of inserting a DVD in the head unit while driving to see what would happen.

Third, read your forum thread in its entirety. There is a lot of great information that everyone provides throughout the conversation. Don't think that one thought, opinion, experience will be typical or will be your experience.

I do still have a fix here. We have a four port HDMI switch that allows four devices to access any of four input/devices on the switch. We will be purchasing a cheap DVD player and plug it into the HDMI switch. The nice thing about the switch is that any TV in the rig can access the switch, so all four TVs would be able to view the DVD not just the one in the bed over the cab. Probably the best solution, as everyone can listen to the movie at their own volume and away from the distraction of the driver.

Thank you again to everyone who helped contribute to this thread and provided inspiration to believe I can do this -- I did it. I just didn't think it all the way through!
Old 06-27-2018, 10:50 PM   #35

I'm a smidge confused - when you say the Head Unit are you talking the DVD player built into the dash radio?

If so - yeah, the relay doesn't cut that. What happens in our coach is that the relay cuts power to the outlet behind the TV. Since I use a dedicated DVD player, I cut the purple wire which energized the outlet.

So we can watch TV and movies while moving.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:25 AM   #36

A good number of head units can be bypassed.

Before you kill yourself trying to replace that relay, look into that avenue. On my pioneer units, one had a simple screen-touch combination to allow playback, while in motion. The older one, I was simply able to disconnect the wire from the parking break 2x after it came on and actually was able to buy a relay off amazon for about 15 bucks that does this automatically, which is called "Double Pulse - Parking Brake Bypass" -This might not be what your unit needs, but I offer this up to give you an idea of what other brands use.

I will bet your head unit has a simple circuit connecting it to the vehicle's parking break that either breaks or makes a circuit to tell it that it's in motion. Research your brand and I'll bet there's another way to skin that cat!!
Old 06-29-2018, 06:11 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
I'm a smidge confused - when you say the Head Unit are you talking the DVD player built into the dash radio?

If so - yeah, the relay doesn't cut that. What happens in our coach is that the relay cuts power to the outlet behind the TV. Since I use a dedicated DVD player, I cut the purple wire which energized the outlet.

So we can watch TV and movies while moving.
Yes, the Head Unit = the Radio/Nav/CD/DVD player on the dash. We will use a dedicated DVD player in the future.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:12 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis02 View Post
A good number of head units can be bypassed.

Before you kill yourself trying to replace that relay, look into that avenue. On my pioneer units, one had a simple screen-touch combination to allow playback, while in motion. The older one, I was simply able to disconnect the wire from the parking break 2x after it came on and actually was able to buy a relay off amazon for about 15 bucks that does this automatically, which is called "Double Pulse - Parking Brake Bypass" -This might not be what your unit needs, but I offer this up to give you an idea of what other brands use.

I will bet your head unit has a simple circuit connecting it to the vehicle's parking break that either breaks or makes a circuit to tell it that it's in motion. Research your brand and I'll bet there's another way to skin that cat!!
Thanks for the information. I think I'm going to go the easy route and just buy a cheap DVD player. Again, it will allow all four TVs to access the DVD, not just the one above the cab.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:18 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussieskunk View Post
Three lessons: Never cut. Find any way to solve the problem without cutting. Cutting is permanent. And, in this case for sure, potentially causes more work to correct back to normal.
I wouldn't worry about the cut wire. It will not affect resale or trade.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:14 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussieskunk View Post
Thanks for the information. I think I'm going to go the easy route and just buy a cheap DVD player. Again, it will allow all four TVs to access the DVD, not just the one above the cab.
I think you'll be much happier.

On our headunit, you had to have the audio up for it to feed the TVs. Totally stupid -- trying to watch TV in the back bedroom and everyone gets to listen in.

$50 bought us a nice Blu-ray.