Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-17-2018, 10:24 AM   #1

Powered Outlets while on Generator

I have a 2017 Greyhawk 31FS, was exercising the generator the other day, and noticed that not all the wall outlets are powered while on generator. Does any one know if there is a list, diagram, etc that highlights the working and non-working outlets while on generator.

Yes, I could probably take my meter and check each outlet, then mark the one's that are powered while on generator, but I'm looking for the easy button answer here.

Thanks!!
hussieskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:39 AM   #2

Typically they should all be energized unless perhaps there's a breaker on the generator or at the 120V panel that is tripped? Or a GFCI outlet has tripped.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:30 AM   #3

Unfortunately you will need to see which ones are not on and go back from there.

The are three basic groups. Outlets off inverter(tv and microwave), outlets off gfi around bathroom and exterior if you have one and all others. Once you determine which ones you can go back and look at those things that control these out let’s. Everything runs through the House circuit breaker box so that is the first place to look. Especially at the gfi if it is trip and will not set then you probably don’t have pier to it.
If you have tv and microwave but no power anywhere else it could be the circuit breaker on the generator. If it is everywhere but the tv and microwave then check the inverter. There are some additional area but they start to get pretty rare.

Good luck it is probably something fairly simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:19 PM   #4

I love this forum! Thanks for the fast responses.

For further information sake, the one outlet that concerned me at the time was the one that powered the large TV and HDMI hub at the front of the rig. The Micro worked, the TVs in the bunks and rear worked... Not the front TV however. Again, I did not check outlets that had nothing plugged into them, so there could be more or just this one.

I'll pull the meter out and see what's going on at each one and check the breaker boxes.

Thanks again.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:27 PM   #5

Make sure the engine was not running. The front tv is locked out with a solenoid when the engine is running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2018, 02:47 PM   #6

That's it!! I did have the engine running while running the generator. I was running both as part of my monthly winter check-in at the storage lot. Thought it would be nice to watch some TV while I let the engine and generator idle for 30 minutes. Guess I'll listen to the radio from now on!

THANKS!!
Old 01-17-2018, 02:54 PM   #7

Or bypass the solenoid as many people do so that others can watch the telly while riding.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:17 AM   #8

How does one go about that? I mean, where is the solenoid located typically?

That's what I'd really like to do as we make an epic journey to Disney this summer. The kids would probably like to watch some movies on the way down.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:28 AM   #9

Typically just plug the TV into another nearby outlet.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:29 AM   #10

Review this post, explains some options from cutting the wire to replacing the outlet.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...n-11021-4.html
Old 01-18-2018, 09:46 AM   #11

Mine was behind the outlet wire you have to disconnect on the solenoid, many articles on here about the process to disconnect
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:03 AM   #12

@2008Seneca: Sadly there is not anther nearby. And I don't want to run an extension cord across the cab. But good idea.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:05 AM   #13

Thanks RVermont and che57vy, I'll dig into it and see what I can do.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussieskunk View Post
Thanks RVermont and che57vy, I'll dig into it and see what I can do.
It was super easy.
Followed the threads here, then popped the outlet out and cut the 'purple wire (in my case)'. The wire will be very obvious.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:20 PM   #15

Yeah, that is what I gathered after reviewing the threads on here. Although, I am not into cutting anything... I haven't looked yet, but in lieu of cutting power to the relay, I would rather connect the hot that's being interrupted directly to the outlet. Leaving the relay functional, and making the outlet functional always.

I saw one image that showed the factory wiring connecting one side of the relay to the outlet and the other side of the relay to a wire nut connected to the hot. I'll just pull the nut off the hot and connect it directly to the outlet. The relay wires can just hang loose - they are no longer electrically connected to anything. Maybe for safety sake, I'll reuse the wire nut to connect the two relay leads together.

If it is how I envision it, should be a piece of cake. I'll share pictures of what I find.

Thanks again all!!
Old 01-19-2018, 01:49 PM   #16

I removed the recpt and replaced it with another leaving wires intact, put old one away for future use if some one needed to reconnect it
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:28 PM   #17

And I snipped the wire with enough on the end that I could pigtail in a jumper if I needed to put it back.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussieskunk View Post
Yeah, that is what I gathered after reviewing the threads on here. Although, I am not into cutting anything... I haven't looked yet, but in lieu of cutting power to the relay, I would rather connect the hot that's being interrupted directly to the outlet. Leaving the relay functional, and making the outlet functional always.

I saw one image that showed the factory wiring connecting one side of the relay to the outlet and the other side of the relay to a wire nut connected to the hot. I'll just pull the nut off the hot and connect it directly to the outlet. The relay wires can just hang loose - they are no longer electrically connected to anything. Maybe for safety sake, I'll reuse the wire nut to connect the two relay leads together.

If it is how I envision it, should be a piece of cake. I'll share pictures of what I find.

Thanks again all!!
Huss,
What you describe above is EXACTLY what I did to my 2017 Greyhawk after purchasing it new in October 2017. I re-used the wire nut and capped one of the 12V wires and I just snipped the exposed stranded wire off the other 12V wire left loose from this process. It works as expected and only took me about 10 minutes!

Good luck!
Old 01-22-2018, 11:46 AM   #19

Thanks for the vote of confidence Janepatm!

I got into the outlet this weekend. So truth be told, there are actually two outlets up there, and both have a relay on them. There was so LITTLE slack in the wiring that pulling either the outlet or the housing out proved beyond difficult. In fact, I'd say it was intentionally shorted to prevent me from this mod. The outlet that the TV is plugged into has the wire nut as described previously, but the outlet that is just below and powers the HDMI hub does not have a wire nut - I really cannot tell what is going on there... It does not appear that the outlet relays are connected in any way... But I only need one of them enabled, so the plan is to get the one I can clearly see.

I will not let this lack of slack or work space prevent me from providing on the road entertainment to the children! However, I've decided to put this off until I am certain I have about a hour to give over to frustration and tight spaces.

Thanks again to everyone for the help and support!
Old 01-22-2018, 11:56 AM   #20

You can call Jayco and they will email you wiring diagrams specific to your coach's VIN. That may help you understand the second outlet and how they are wired.