Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2022, 04:17 PM   #1

Prepping while Boondocking for freezing???

I'll be heading north in AZ in a week or so... Gunna be low 40s at night...may hit into the 30s..be at 7000'

My only worry if it freezes is the lines under my rig. Had them freeze once , they thawd in 2 hrs

Would just draining the low point drains help?

What would be the best way to clear the lines of water?
I never winterize, well, we don't need to..lol.. so curious best way to empty water from lines for a night...

Thanks my friends
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 05:46 PM   #2

I'm in your shoes. What has worked for me is having water in my tanks, that never seem to freeze in high 20s to low 30s. Unhook and drain my hose so the water doesn't freeze inside. I bring my water filter inside.

At night we use the pump. In the morning when it gets above freezing we hook up the water and we're good to go.

As they say your mileage may vary.
Old 04-22-2022, 05:56 PM   #3
CAG

I am not sure where you are going but 40s is nothing as is 30s for a few hours. I have winter camped in both northern AZ at 8000' for elk hunts and SE AZ for javelina where temps drop into the 20s and teens. A few hours at either is no problem and 30s-40s is a piece of cake.

32 is freezing and unless it drops lower than that for hours you have no issues. Temps in the 20s for 4-6 hours becomes a concern but you are no where near that.

I just looked at them temps in my favorite location in the White Mountains which is 8000 feet and there was nothing forecast for lower than 27 for a few hours.

And I see nothing in the forecast for temps below about 38 at 8K. It will be a heat wave where you are at.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 06:26 PM   #4

I did freeze once before, over one night.
Was cold and windy, so I think the wind played a part

Be starting my bi monthly trecs to Williams a bit early this year..so figured I'd get some ideas if needed

Time for trout fishing

Great info CAG...thanks
Old 04-22-2022, 06:49 PM   #5
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavman View Post

Be starting my bi monthly trecs to Williams a bit early this year..so figured I'd get some ideas if needed

Time for trout fishing

Great info CAG...thanks

I am at 8000 feet (White Mountains) all summer long beginning in May and leaving the first part of September unless I decide to stay and hunt blue grouse. Freeze is not an issue. May can be cold at night but the temps are not into very low figures and in Arizona, once the sun comes up it is pretty much over. Even at some of the fishing spots at 9000 ft low temps are over once the sun comes up. This is Arizona you know LOL and by noon it is 85 or more. We are out getting the fishing or hiking in before noon. If you come late to a fishing spot you are a flat lander. Some don't understand the dry heat. we have our 40+ temp swings with the low humidity through most of June and then it changes. Night time temps don't drop in the deserts and a low of 90 is normal. Even in the mountains it can be warm overnight and climb fast when the sun comes up.

So the bottom line in the Arizona mountains, don't worry about a few hours of 35. That is a normal night.

Old 04-22-2022, 06:59 PM   #6

30s for a night is no concern, as long as warm up next day.

Yes- open the drains to relieve the pressure, thats good enough to "clear lines" for these minor temps. Open faucets for more flow out. Bump the fresh water pump to clear its input.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 07:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxrobertson View Post
30s for a night is no concern, as long as warm up next day.

Yes- open the drains to relieve the pressure, thats good enough to "clear lines" for these minor temps. Open faucets for more flow out. Bump the fresh water pump to clear its input.
Good call

If we get to below freezing I'll do this for sure
Old 04-23-2022, 08:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I am at 8000 feet (White Mountains) all summer long beginning in May and leaving the first part of September unless I decide to stay and hunt blue grouse. Freeze is not an issue. May can be cold at night but the temps are not into very low figures and in Arizona, once the sun comes up it is pretty much over. Even at some of the fishing spots at 9000 ft low temps are over once the sun comes up. This is Arizona you know LOL and by noon it is 85 or more. We are out getting the fishing or hiking in before noon. If you come late to a fishing spot you are a flat lander. Some don't understand the dry heat. we have our 40+ temp swings with the low humidity through most of June and then it changes. Night time temps don't drop in the deserts and a low of 90 is normal. Even in the mountains it can be warm overnight and climb fast when the sun comes up.

So the bottom line in the Arizona mountains, don't worry about a few hours of 35. That is a normal night.
I mean..sub 40s is nothing, yes we see. That a lot in early April

But this AM, in Williams, it was 27 -30 for about 4hrs...for sure enough to freeze the plastic pipes.
Not worried about tanks freezing, that just won't happen, but it for sure can get below freezing for a few hours

But it won't deture me.....full steam ahead

Oh and yes .. leaving PHX when it's gunna be 115... And boondocking at 7200' with a high of 88 and a low of 58.... Um ya...that's why we do it.

Last year Greer was amazing at 9000'.... Maybe I'll visit their again this year too
Old 04-23-2022, 08:28 AM   #9

Quote:
I'll be heading north in AZ in a week or so... Gunna be low 40s at night...may hit into the 30s..be at 7000'

My only worry if it freezes is the lines under my rig. Had them freeze once , they thawd in 2 hrs

Would just draining the low point drains help?

What would be the best way to clear the lines of water?
I never winterize, well, we don't need to..lol.. so curious best way to empty water from lines for a night...

Thanks my friends
No worries for short duration freezes. We don't winterize during camping season and July sometimes has frosty nights in the high 30's.

Not winterized now.. and its regularly in the low 30s and we are lucky if it hits 60. It has once.. 88 hardly ever happens here even in July.
However I wish it would stop spitting snow.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 08:30 AM   #10
CAG

Certainly be safe and prep because forecasts are never exact but I did not see low points freeze until 25 or lower for most of the night. Generally it is not the low point itself that is the issue it is the fact that as the night continues the ice wicks back up the low point to the first T and stops water flow in that line.

Old 04-23-2022, 08:42 AM   #11

When I froze, the low was like 30-32..not sure for how many hours. It was also very windy

No pumping of water at all, so assume lines to pump got frozen.

By the time I got home, 2 hrs, all was thawd
Old 04-23-2022, 09:44 PM   #12

Not disagreeing with anything posted, but sometimes it's more comfortable to be safe, might be able to sleep better. After all, weather forecasts don't always get it right. I've had forecasts in the low 30s or upper 20s, which would not be a concern, but then the sky clears during the night and it drops to lower 20s and things get a bit dicey.

All that said, for those times you want to add a bit of insurance, here's what we do. We blow out the lines. Not in a thorough, full winterization sense. We only have a tire inflator with us, which doesn't have the volume to blow lines. So I run the inflator to our fresh water hose (to get some air volume) and then to the city water intake, pump it to 40 psi, then open a faucet (or flush toilet). Takes a minute or two. Repeat for each faucet/toilet (we only have 5). This is all it takes to clear the lines for all but dead of winter, and can be done in about 10-15 minutes while boondocking. If there's a chance it might get too cold, I do this and sleep without concerns.
Old 04-25-2022, 08:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRick View Post
I do this and sleep without concerns.

Rick - I agree! And when there's a chance of a freeze, I'll bring along a couple of gallons of pink RV antifreeze. 10 mins, $6 - and I sleep without concerns too!!!

And, like you, I'm not disagreeing with anyone here. We've not winterized and been fine, with days in the mid 20's. We froze up once, when it was windy and 14*F.

But, in the end, ten minutes, $6 of antifreeze and the problem just goes away. Zero worries.
Old 05-11-2022, 11:56 AM   #14

Quote:

Time for trout fishing

Great info CAG...thanks
Wind doesn’t play a part in lowering the temperature of non-living things.
LOWCO508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 02:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWCO508 View Post
Wind doesn’t play a part in lowering the temperature of non-living things.
LOL, I know what you are saying and with that, just a couple of hours ago I reconnected and turned on my Port-a-Cool (evaporative swamp coolers) in my shop which is a lot cooler in there now. Without the air flow (wind) from the fan, I doubt they would do much good for lowering the temperature. ~CA

BTW, Welcome to the Jayco Owner's Forums (JOF).
Old 05-11-2022, 05:27 PM   #16

I see lots of responses...I confess I didn't read all of them.

I've done lots of cold-weather boondocking...even in a PUP...photo of a trip in March in the Lost Creek Wilderness in CO. We woke up in the morning with a skim of ice on the dog's water dish. Right on the edge...but with a bit of margin for another degree or two.

With the heat running, everything inside the coroplast is safe. Your furnace should dump heat into the underbelly.

What's at risk? The "Dangly Bits." Low point drains, fresh tank drain, and the all-important black and grey tank dumps...not to mention the city water input...because you said you are boondocking.

What can you do?
1) Get some self-adhesive duct insulation and tape it onto the coroplast to protect the low point drains and the fresh tank drain.
2) Before you go, and every time you dump, FIRST dump about a gallon or so of RV antifreeze down the toilet and down a sink to get antifreeze down into the exposed parts of the black and grey dumps. Put enough in each to be sure you fill all the exposed plumbing. Flushing and using the sinks/shower won't dilute the antifreeze enough to be a concern unless temps dip below about 20 degrees F.
3) A belt and suspenders approach might include some fiberglass pipe insulation around the black and grey dumps. But with antifreeze in the dangly parts of those pipes, they should be well protected.

With these precautions, nothing in the 30's will pose a threat...even though freezing is at 32 degrees. If it's predicted to get down to about 27 degrees or lower, you might be wise to dump your fresh tank and low point drains...and LEAVE THEM OPEN. Again, what's up inside the coroplast will be safe so long as the furnace is running.

We boondock exclusively, so we always fill the fresh tank AND carry four of these 7 gallon jugs full of water to add more without having to find a source. If you are concerned about water, 4 of these, empty, can be used to go get more water if you need to dump...or run out...without having to move the rig. I have a spare cap, and I adapted the cap with a 1/2" NPT to barb adapter, about 15" of clear hose and a hose clamp, so I can fill my gravity fill tank with ease. The plumbing parts are available at any hardware store. If you have a pressure fill for your fresh tank (part of the city water connection), you'll need a pump to pull water from jugs and get it into your fresh tank...something a boondocker should have anyway. I prefer 120 volt items if I have a generator.

If you're boondocking and you're far from others, consider running your generator overnight to deal with the heavy 12 volt loads by the furnace, etc. Check your rig. If you have 12 volt tank heater pads, you can use them if the generator is running and replacing that heavy load on the battery. Not able to run the generator because you're close to another rig? You'll have to be a bit more careful.

ALWAYS disconnect any hoses from the outside of your rig. Those of us who live with winter know that a hose connected to one's home will damage the "hose bib"...the outside faucet...because it can't drain properly. NO HOSES SHOULD BE CONNECTED TO ANYTHING when there's a threat of freezing. Any hose of any type (e.g. stinky slinky) can hold water in places where it can freeze...including your dump valves. That, too, is more of an RV park thing, but worth noting.

The second pic is of our new rig in the Lost Creek Wilderness...about 1/2 mile down an ATV trail...in the late fall. Note that the aspens have no leaves.

Good luck on your adventure. Note that large areas are on fire in NM, so plan accordingly. Wildfire smoke travels many hundreds of miles, so make sure you aren't in the smoke plume, or it's VERY hard on your respiratory system. Given this, you might want to bring a propane fire pit, because open fires are likely to be prohibited. We started using one because of a fire ban during our March trip in the photo...years ago. We actually MUCH prefer it to a wood fire. No smoke, sparks, stench on your clothes, and no threat of setting the world on fire. It's instant on and instant off. And people can sit all around the fire with no need to keep moving to get out of the smoke plume. Plan on one 20# tank lasting 2 days...which is far cheaper than buying firewood at a Seven-Eleven. And, in case you aren't familiar with this, because of the threat of "foreign" insects on drought stressed trees, bringing in your own firewood is seriously frowned upon.

OK, I've wandered away from the question far enough.
Attached Thumbnails
a lost park 3.jpg   Lost Park 2020 - 2.jpg  
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 07:57 PM   #17

I dry camp in Idaho and Montana. I have camped when the temp gets in the low 20’s at night. I cover the drain valves with insulation. The drain valves hang lower then the bottom of trailer and are out in the open and are susceptible to freezing
salsa is offline   Reply With Quote