Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-11-2018, 07:32 PM   #21

Think about service locations

We recently purchased a 2018 Jayco ME29 replacing our Tiffin class A diesel on a Freightliner chassis for one one simple reason, service! Every time we had something that had to done on the Tiffin, I had to drive an hour away to the Freightliner service center. They were always a bit “unsocial” because I was a lowlife RV hack and not a professional trucker. Service was always days long and they wanted to charge me for warranty issues even though it was under warranty. The new Ford chassis can be serviced 10 minutes from our home at the local Ford dealership. Much more convenient plus it’s more familiar since it’s a regular dealership. We really wanted the Seneca but the Freightliner service challenges were something I refused to endure again.
Fmaylett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmaylett View Post
We really wanted the Seneca but the Freightliner service challenges were something I refused to endure again.
I know what you are saying, but my Seneca service experiences have always been very positive. My local Freightliner dealer (Young's Truck, Canton, OH) does "pause" when I request RV service, and sometimes even begins to tell me they are scheduling weeks out for RV work. But when I tell them it is an M2 chassis, things change drastically. They only have a couple bays where they work on pusher chassis, but a huge garage where they work on other trucks. I usually can get in the very next day!

I would think many Freightliner facilities are set up similarly, so knowing that buying a unit on a S2RV may not be as difficult as getting a pusher serviced.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:31 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew968 View Post
Seneca vs Ikon...might be a couple of dollars difference in price! Lol[emoji857][emoji857][emoji857][emoji857]
Not when the DW is looking at the floorplans at the RV show... either she "likes it" - or "No we don't need it"

Period!

It's always a great feeling that she likes something that is not at the top of the price range... and easier to compromise on the towing capacity - without really compromising.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:36 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
I know what you are saying, but my Seneca service experiences have always been very positive. My local Freightliner dealer (Young's Truck, Canton, OH) does "pause" when I request RV service, and sometimes even begins to tell me they are scheduling weeks out for RV work. But when I tell them it is an M2 chassis, things change drastically. They only have a couple bays where they work on pusher chassis, but a huge garage where they work on other trucks. I usually can get in the very next day!

I would think many Freightliner facilities are set up similarly, so knowing that buying a unit on a S2RV may not be as difficult as getting a pusher serviced.
^^^^ That is our experience as well.

Every time I call for service, and tell them it is a Motorhome... Freightliner tells me that their RV lane is booked out for weeks or months... I then tell them it is on the M2-106 chassis... then they tell me to come right in right away... I can have the full scheduled maintenance done on the rig in a couple of hours - While I wait! You can't get better than that at the Lexus Dealership.

And Fmaylett our primary Freightliner dealer is Warner Truck center... in SLC.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:13 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
^^^^ That is our experience as well.

Every time I call for service, and tell them it is a Motorhome... Freightliner tells me that their RV lane is booked out for weeks or months... I then tell them it is on the M2-106 chassis... then they tell me to come right in right away... I can have the full scheduled maintenance done on the rig in a couple of hours - While I wait! You can't get better than that at the Lexus Dealership.

And Fmaylett our primary Freightliner dealer is Warner Truck center... in SLC.
-Same here. Normally, I'll get half the shop to come in to geek out over the M2, as well. Last month, I was having the cummins serviced and the shop owner came in to ask how I liked it and the usual "why did you go with this over an A" discussion. I'm fairly confident he went out and bought a Seneca as I've seen another one running around my area, now! LOL
Old 09-12-2018, 08:46 AM   #26

A consideration that should be one of your top 3 priorities is the road manners of the units you are considering. A Class A gasser is vastly inferior to the Seneca on that consideration. Class A DP/FRED may also be inferior, but I have no direct experience with them. Engine servicing a DP is without a doubt challenging. In any event, take it out on the highway and see how the wind affects your ride, as well as being alongside passing semi's (both directions).
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:44 PM   #27

We have a 2015 37FS and love it, for all the reasons already described. Low maintenance and utterly reliable. It’s currently for sale due due to medical issues on my part, but it’s a great rig that I recommend for your further research.
PopRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:08 AM   #28

Service

I would say Seneca for two reasons.

Service has been super easy to this point because I roll in with a Freightliner M2 106 just like every Lowe’s delivery truck (or the like). They have bays big enough and I just get in line with the truckers and pop in a movie until it’s my turn. Many times, I get to stay in the truck with the dogs even while it’s being serviced.

One Freightliner dealer actually told me they only service RVs on Tuesday and Thursday. I told them it was an M2 106, and they said they would see me any day.

Second is about towing and it’s not the pulling power, but the stopping power afforded by bigger breaking system and the engine break (which is actually the turbo blades changing their pitch like a prop plan immediately after landing).

Questions that do arise are insurance $, fuel mileage, maintenance costs. I think of these things different as I purchased for a most time residence and wanted some space as opposed to camping some times.