Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-26-2015, 06:58 PM   #1

Priming the water pump to winterize

Hi,
We have a new Jayco Redhawk and we are trying to winterize it for the first time. We can not get the water pump to prime. Any suggestions??

Thanks
kimngreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:04 PM   #2
Site Team

Put the clear hose in the jug of antifreeze and make sure the valve is on and the valve coming from the fresh water tank is off. Pics of these hoses/valves are in this thread:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...12-a-9335.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:47 PM   #3

Remove the screen assembly from the hose hook up on the camper. Replace it backwards to where the cone is pointed in instead of out. This will open the valve that is keeping your pump from priming and pumping. When completed just reverse the screen to the original position. Good luck!
Cunning193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunning193 View Post
Remove the screen assembly from the hose hook up on the camper. Replace it backwards to where the cone is pointed in instead of out. This will open the valve that is keeping your pump from priming and pumping. When completed just reverse the screen to the original position. Good luck!

This feedback saved me a ton of time today when I was winterizing. I couldn't get the antifreeze primed, and this was the exact issue. The helpful hint is no where in the Jayco manual, and I haven't seen it on this forum before. Thank you!!!

Now it's all tucked in for winter
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449281618.768227.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	414.3 KB
ID:	21075
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:00 PM   #5

Glad I could help! Your most welcome! Happy Holidays!!
Cunning193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikester View Post
this feedback saved me a ton of time today when i was winterizing. I couldn't get the antifreeze primed, and this was the exact issue. The helpful hint is no where in the jayco manual, and i haven't seen it on this forum before. Thank you!!!
ditto!!!!!!
Old 12-05-2015, 12:33 PM   #7

Quote:
+1.....excellent advise. This was the problem the first time I went to winterize a RV.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:15 PM   #8

If the water pump wont prime (with the clear hose method), open the low point drains until antifreeze comes out. Then close and continue with the winterizing.

2013 Greyhawk 31FS
CanucksVenturingSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:37 PM   #9

I have to make sure the antifreeze jug is above the pump when I winterize.
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 03:10 PM   #10

Still no luck

Figured out the cone screen flip trick before, so I did that. I had an issue with the water filter a month ago, had to wait on the part then to replace it before I could winterize it. I know I"m late to the game here, but got the filter housing replaced now, water heater is in bypass mode (checked and double checked), flipped the cone around, hooked up the hose, turned on the pump, opened up the low point drains..., antifreeze in...nothing.

I tried hooking up to the house water then, see if I can get any water flowing or at least get the pump running by putting water in the fresh tank, nothing...

Any thoughts?
bwalsh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:19 PM   #11

I close all of my drains before I attempt to pump. Not sure if you meant to say you left them open while pumping. If so, I don't think that works.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:07 AM   #12

Thanks, yup opened the low point drains in an attempt to prime the pump and closed them. Done both ways, but still nothing.

My concern right now is I cannot seem to even get fresh water to fill the tank. I tried that as a way to help get the pump primed, with no luck...
Old 12-22-2017, 08:22 AM   #13

Make sure all the valves at the water filter are open this has popped up on a lot of these issues. Don’t know how cold it is there is it possible a line is frozen? Sometimes the control valve handles slip and they look like they are set correctly but are not correct. Does your pump run? Did you fill the water filter housing with antifreeze? The pump can have a difficult time pumping all the air out of the housing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:52 AM   #14

Thanks, my fear is a line is frozen. Hoping not. I'll try filling up the filter with AF and see if that does anything. I checked the valves and tried different configurations, but got nothing. I'll keep plugging away till I figure it out, if you have any other ideas I am open to them.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:57 AM   #15

Put a heater in the wet bay for several hours to see if you can get the pump warmed up. I keep a heater going in the wet bay anytime I don’t have antifreeze in the system. That way you can eliminate a frozen pipe in the wet bay. Good luck. And ask if you have any other questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 03:42 PM   #16

Pump Priming Instructions.

Quote:
Why is this tip not part of the instructions from Jayco. I spent hours trying to get my RV winterized yesterday before coming across this tip. Once I did this it was smooth sailing.
mgusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 06:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh22 View Post
Thanks, yup opened the low point drains in an attempt to prime the pump and closed them. Done both ways, but still nothing.

My concern right now is I cannot seem to even get fresh water to fill the tank. I tried that as a way to help get the pump primed, with no luck...
Double check the o ring on the filter housing. Mine had bulge which allowed air into the system preventing an air tight system for pumping.
gjkids is offline   Reply With Quote