Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2020, 06:57 AM   #21

Viair makes a portable air compressor to air up RV tires.
This little thing makes 150 psi and the duty cycle is 33%.
They make another model that has 100% duty cycle.
This one comes with an extra hose extension and a chuck designed for dual wheels.
https://www.viaircorp.com/portables/400p-rv-auto
Texas is currently home
Tockert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:47 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.g View Post
This is the correct answer. You don't want extensions, you want properly sized metal valve stems. Our 2009 Greyhawk came with valve extensions. They were okay, until one of the inner tires decided it didn't want to be aired up anymore, couldn't check pressure of that tire either. Had to pull apart the extension and re-attach it a few times before it started to work properly. The ones we had did not hold pressure, so no leaks.

When we replaced our tires, we had the tire shop use the Tire Man valve stems. Made checking and airing up tires a simple task. Well worth the money. TPMS sensors compatible.

-Michael
Thank you...couldn't get the link to work but know the ones you mean!
Old 06-24-2020, 07:49 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tockert View Post
Viair makes a portable air compressor to air up RV tires.
This little thing makes 150 psi and the duty cycle is 33%.
They make another model that has 100% duty cycle.
This one comes with an extra hose extension and a chuck designed for dual wheels.
https://www.viaircorp.com/portables/400p-rv-auto
Thanks for the tip! If the cheap one I bought doesn't work out one of these will be on my list.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:19 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulReflection View Post
Thank you...couldn't get the link to work but know the ones you mean!
You're welcome. Yes, I noticed the link wasn't working yesterday, but it is now.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:32 PM   #25

This is what I did

Quote:
My newest pet peeve start with the purchase of my 22J. Discovering that I had to remove my rear wheel covers just to add air to the tires just didn't make sense to me. So I had my tire shop add valve extensions.

With all that is riding on my tires (like my life and that of others) I invested in a TPMS. My E450 Ford Chassis did not come with one (thanks Jayco) so I bought an aftermarket one. Guess what? In order to mount the valve sensors, I had to return to the tire shop to add extensions to the extensions.

The closest ones to work required notching the wheel covers, a tip I found on Google and suggested the shop do it. At this point, I had few dollars and three hours of my time into this project but thought "Problem Solved".

Nope...the sensors were great but just confirmed extensions on extensions double the chance of air leaks...I purchased an RV tire compressor only to find out it had a duty cycle of 5 minutes and could only pump 3 or 4 lbs. in that time. The tires were losing 5 to 8 lbs. per week just sitting in the driveway...so, back to the tire shop.

This time, they checked the second extensions. One, which allowed air last week, would not this week. One of the new extensions would not allow air to pass through either. Apparently, the needle did not reach the first extension's valve. Another replacement had a needle that extended too far, which passed air before going into the valve. I asked the shop where these extensions came from, saying they were the best they could buy and we both agreed on where they probably came from.

I now have 6.5 hours into this and, fortunately the tire shop has not charged me. I have dealt with them for many years and they are very highly rated.

With this Covid thing, I am not planning on any long trips. I will use this time to evaluate this PITA and decide if I should just bite the bullet and replace the outer rear rims with aluminum and throw the wheel covers in the garbage.

Sorry for the long rant, but I wanted others to know how frustrating this can be and, perhaps, save someone from going down the same "rabbit hole".

Maybe some of you have better solutions or ideas? I would welcome them.
I used these valve extenders;

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VRO19Y...p_mob_ap_share

on my E450/Redhawk. I had to drill my hubcaps to attach the brackets with SS nylock bolts in the correct position so they do not hit the rim. But the end result was perfect, no leaks, ever!, No taking off those darn Hubcaps just to check the pressure and they will support my tire safeguard TPMS !
Attached Thumbnails
32FA4491-FBE5-4743-8B76-1459657ACA4A.jpg  
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:32 PM   #26

I left my hub caps off. I read on some other forum they tend to fall off. I took one off and it almost fell of when preying off. Works for me so far. I put extenders on my duals myself and they all had steel valve caps on also no problem so far.
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:43 PM   #27

Dual tires

I take my Redhawk to the dealer we purchase all tires from. They do it for free and take 10 minutes. Usually tip the guy that does it. Living in a small town helps. Do it before every trip.
Prairiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 01:08 PM   #28

Center Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
If you find a center cap that will work on our wheels let me know - I hate the wheel simulators.
Several different sizes on Amazon, both SS and plastic- black and white.
I just bought a set for mine- you just need measurement of hole.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 05:58 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
This is what I bought at Home Depot, and I'm able to fill the rears. It takes a little finesse to get use to it, but I haven't had to touch the factory extensions/valves, and can fill them no problem. I virtually lose no air, I think I lost like 4 psi all Winter.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Du...0HOM/205331827
I have the same one. Now I use digital ones because they are much more accurate I notice the angle of the head is hard to connect so I bent the tube a little. I have 3 digital ones and they read within .0 pounds
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:02 PM   #30

I thought of that but it makes your wheels- tires out of balance unless they can be balanced on the motorhome
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:51 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I thought of that but it makes your wheels- tires out of balance unless they can be balanced on the motorhome
Thanks Bill. Do you, or anyone else have any comments or recommendations?
Old 06-27-2020, 08:13 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
If your talking about the valve extenders with brackets attached to the hubcap, just put them exactly opposite each other and they cancel each other out and do not unbalance your rear wheels
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:25 PM   #33

tires

Quote:
My newest pet peeve start with the purchase of my 22J. Discovering that I had to remove my rear wheel covers just to add air to the tires just didn't make sense to me. So I had my tire shop add valve extensions.

With all that is riding on my tires (like my life and that of others) I invested in a TPMS. My E450 Ford Chassis did not come with one (thanks Jayco) so I bought an aftermarket one. Guess what? In order to mount the valve sensors, I had to return to the tire shop to add extensions to the extensions.

The closest ones to work required notching the wheel covers, a tip I found on Google and suggested the shop do it. At this point, I had few dollars and three hours of my time into this project but thought "Problem Solved".

Nope...the sensors were great but just confirmed extensions on extensions double the chance of air leaks...I purchased an RV tire compressor only to find out it had a duty cycle of 5 minutes and could only pump 3 or 4 lbs. in that time. The tires were losing 5 to 8 lbs. per week just sitting in the driveway...so, back to the tire shop.

This time, they checked the second extensions. One, which allowed air last week, would not this week. One of the new extensions would not allow air to pass through either. Apparently, the needle did not reach the first extension's valve. Another replacement had a needle that extended too far, which passed air before going into the valve. I asked the shop where these extensions came from, saying they were the best they could buy and we both agreed on where they probably came from.

I now have 6.5 hours into this and, fortunately the tire shop has not charged me. I have dealt with them for many years and they are very highly rated.

With this Covid thing, I am not planning on any long trips. I will use this time to evaluate this PITA and decide if I should just bite the bullet and replace the outer rear rims with aluminum and throw the wheel covers in the garbage.

Sorry for the long rant, but I wanted others to know how frustrating this can be and, perhaps, save someone from going down the same "rabbit hole".

Maybe some of you have better solutions or ideas? I would welcome them.
not only is it an issue putting air in a dually, but now that I have TPMS, I doubt I could get that silly wrench in there. I will ask next time for extensions, they have to remove the front tire to get to the one behind.
arobinson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:42 PM   #34

Soul- look at the bright side.

The previous post that had the SS reinforced valve extensions. My dad had them on each of his three motorhomes. No function issues, no balance issues.

I recently bought an aftermarket TST TPMS with 6 sensors that go on the valve stem.

The aftermarket seems worthwhile because I have three trailers plus pull others. I can move them to whatever I'm towing and program each trailer separately.

If you pull a toad or a boat, add a couple of sensors.

garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:40 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by garywilson View Post
Soul- look at the bright side.

The previous post that had the SS reinforced valve extensions. My dad had them on each of his three motorhomes. No function issues, no balance issues.

I recently bought an aftermarket TST TPMS with 6 sensors that go on the valve stem.

The aftermarket seems worthwhile because I have three trailers plus pull others. I can move them to whatever I'm towing and program each trailer separately.

If you pull a toad or a boat, add a couple of sensors.

That's the plan. I have ordered the SS extensions and already have the TPMS. I went cheap on the ones as they do not allow for more than 6 sensors. But I will move them over to my truck and boat trailer when I upgrade to the ones you posted.
Old 07-04-2020, 01:25 PM   #36

Problem solved...order these:

https://yourtireshopsupply.com/manuf...66/duallyvalve

They are not cheap "$120.00" but if you read all of my frustrations in this thread, I would have saved money, frustration and time if I had just bought them in the first place.

Even my local tire shop was tired of seeing me and, because of that, installed them at no charge.

My TPMS works great, easy to add air and best of all, NO LEAKS!

A final thought...this solution, and ones like it, should be a "Sticky".