Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-21-2018, 06:40 AM   #1

Progressive Industries in a Seneca

Hey folks,

I recently purchased a Progressive Industries EMS (EMSHW50C) for my 2015 Seneca 36FK, and was wondering if anybody has experience installing one of these.

Specifically, I'm wondering where you chose to install it, and where / how you ran your remote monitor.

My plan is to install it before the transfer switch (on the shore power side) so that the transfer switch itself gets protected. I'm not worried about protecting power coming out of the generator, as I understand that has its own safeguards built in.

I found the transfer switch under one of the bedroom drawers, but it looks like a pretty tight squeeze in there - not sure how easy it will be to work in such a confined space, and subsequently mount the box. It also occurs to me that running the wire for the remote monitor from that location all the way to the main "control" panel with the rest of my systems (like the slides, leveler, step, inverter, etc.) would be a challenge.

Any advice?
jposavatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:11 PM   #2

I have a 2014 TS, so our floor plans are obviously different. So take my experience for what it's worth! I also installed the PI hardwired EMS.

On my unit, my power center and transfer switch are located below my wardrobe cabinet. While tight, I was able to squeeze it in after taking out the two drawers next to the power center. Working with the wire gauges involved it "interesting", they can be tough to bend! I went a step further, I installed a system of 50-amp receptacles and cords/plugs so if my EMS ever is completely fried I can quickly bypass it.

I also purchased a second display and the selector switch. I installed the switch and one display out in my wet bay (picture below). That way while hooking up utilities I can see the power status. When I wrap up my outside work I switch the selector to my interior display. The main data cable from the EMS goes down from under the wardrobe through the opening (with 100 other wires!) into the wet bay compartment. Then another data cable comes from the selector switch and back up through the floor into the area below the wardrobe and into the void between the wardrobe interior wall and the bathroom sink area wall. That void is open under the wardrobe cabinet allowing me to snake wires up into that area. Actually I cut the hole in the bathroom wall and ran a fishtape down and then pulled the new cable up and out for connection to the second display. I installed my interior display on that bathroom wall alongside my water heater controls, bath lights and water pump switch, bedroom slideout control, and my hot water recirculation system switch and indicator light (picture below).

Good luck! Happy to answer any questions I can.
Attached Thumbnails
EMS selector and display wet bay.jpg   HW Recirculation switch and indicator light.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:11 PM   #3

Rob, thank you so much for your reply!

(Having seen you post on just about every other thread in this forum re: Seneca's, I was kind of hoping to get your expert opinion... and had assumed that you must have an EMS, give all of your mods and upgrades!)

I got the unit installed today, and you weren't kidding... that 6 gauge wire was quite a bear. But it's all hooked up and working as expected! Unfortunately I wasn't able to mount the unit securely (with screws) inside the cabinet, as there was just no way to organize the rats nest of wires in such a way that I could set it on the floor. For now it's just resting in there (and it's certainly not going anywhere)... but I may go back in and try to figure something out... later!

I took your advice and ran my data cable to my wet bay, and for now I have it setup as a "temporary" installation - i.e. double sided velcro tape to hold the display in place, and the data cable is just "squished", coming out of the top gap of my paper towel holder. Once I'm 100% sure that's where I want it, I'll mount it more securely, and drill a proper hole for the cable.

A couple of quick follow-on questions:

1) Why do you have the dual display setup? Just for convenience in case anything wonky ever happens, so you don't have to go out to the wet bay? I'd think that if there were going to be issues, they'd be apparent pretty much right away when connecting the power...?

2) Does your transfer switch put off a noticeable hum? I've only had my Seneca for a couple of months now, and only on 2 short weekend trips, but I don't really recall whether the hum was there before or not. There's definitely a faint hum coming off of it, and am hoping that's "normal".

Cheers, and thanks again for your helpful advice!

(Assuming I'm doing this correctly, attached below is a photo of my wet bay with monitor...)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20181021_160942.jpg  
Old 10-21-2018, 07:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jposavatz View Post
Rob, thank you so much for your reply!

(Having seen you post on just about every other thread in this forum re: Seneca's, I was kind of hoping to get your expert opinion... and had assumed that you must have an EMS, give all of your mods and upgrades!)

I got the unit installed today, and you weren't kidding... that 6 gauge wire was quite a bear. But it's all hooked up and working as expected! Unfortunately I wasn't able to mount the unit securely (with screws) inside the cabinet, as there was just no way to organize the rats nest of wires in such a way that I could set it on the floor. For now it's just resting in there (and it's certainly not going anywhere)... but I may go back in and try to figure something out... later!

I took your advice and ran my data cable to my wet bay, and for now I have it setup as a "temporary" installation - i.e. double sided velcro tape to hold the display in place, and the data cable is just "squished", coming out of the top gap of my paper towel holder. Once I'm 100% sure that's where I want it, I'll mount it more securely, and drill a proper hole for the cable.

A couple of quick follow-on questions:

1) Why do you have the dual display setup? Just for convenience in case anything wonky ever happens, so you don't have to go out to the wet bay? I'd think that if there were going to be issues, they'd be apparent pretty much right away when connecting the power...?

2) Does your transfer switch put off a noticeable hum? I've only had my Seneca for a couple of months now, and only on 2 short weekend trips, but I don't really recall whether the hum was there before or not. There's definitely a faint hum coming off of it, and am hoping that's "normal".

Cheers, and thanks again for your helpful advice!

(Assuming I'm doing this correctly, attached below is a photo of my wet bay with monitor...)
I could have gone with just one display, but I am Mr. Overkill! I thought having the ability to view the information (or bypass) inside or outside would be helpful at times. With it only outside, if it is storming I might get wet! But it will work just as effectively with one display. But if it does cut out, if only one outside display that is where you need to go to view the error.

Yes, my transfer switch does hum a bit. We have grown immune to it over time. I believe Progressive Dynamics now has a transfer switch model that utilizes a DC hold-in coil that eliminates the AC hum. I don't know if newer Senecas have that model or something comparable.

Glad it is installed and working, nice job!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jposavatz View Post
Hey folks,

... for my 2015 Seneca 36FK,
Welcome to the JOF forum and welcome to the Seneca family. We have a 2015 36FK and love it, but have not done the PI install...

I can say that I have had my head and arms in that cramped area where you installed your EMS (for another project) and congratulate you on getting that project done.

Robby is a wealth of information... as you did, we look for his advice and experience the same way you do!
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:51 AM   #6

I hard wired my unit on the ceiling of the electric bay. PTA but I was able to use the existing wiring. Just cut the wire and slipped it in.

One thing I found on another project is tha jayco doesn't use glue when building the cabinets so you can unscrew the panels. When I was cleaning up the wiring under my cabinets I removed the drawers and then remove the Krieg system screw and pulled out the cross members. This allowed me space to get in there and work. I did the same thing in the kitchen cabinets when doing some electrical troubleshooting. I was able to make the space large enough to crawl in the cabinets. Then when done I simply replaced the frame and reset the screws.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:12 PM   #7

Put mine there too

I installed my PI unit right after the power reel, also laminated the code card and glued it next to display, easier to figure out codes than rummage through motorhome when something pops up.
Attached Thumbnails
surge protecter (2).jpg  
ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:49 PM   #8

Thanks for all of the replies folks!

Also, as a "public service announcement" for anybody else who chooses to embark on this project (with this particular EMS from PI):

My unit did not come with the "green tape" on one of the current sensors, as described in the manual. I called their support line, and they explained that if you're missing the green tape, then instead look for one with a black mark, crossing out the part number... they confirmed that about 1000 units went out that way...

(Actually I guessed this to be the case and gave it a shot without first calling them, as it was a Sunday... turns out I (thankfully) guessed correctly! If you do get it backwards, they explained it'll just flip-flop the readouts for L1 vs. L2, but otherwise, the system still protects you as advertised.)
Old 03-31-2019, 08:43 PM   #9

I added mine in the bay with the cord reel on the side wall. I just removed the line from the side of the reel and then used a 2’ piece of wire to go from the EMS and back to the reel. There is a slight hum but after the first trip I didn’t hear it any more.
Attached Thumbnails
9443CDD2-1AAB-4C7F-A5D4-571701BC1D53.jpg   DADEC8F5-D000-4A89-9B5E-2FFE8FD25081.jpg   8DCA6D45-DAB0-467B-B2D0-9D71712530FC.jpg   9E533012-38A3-4313-8953-7B8C52CE8320.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote