Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-03-2019, 06:02 AM   #1

Propane/Carbon Monoxide Detector

We have a 2016 Greyhawk 29MV and last night our propane/ carbon monoxide detector failed.
Have there been issues with the Atwood detectors that anyone knows of. I had to disconnect it for now as the beeping was making our dogs hideout.
We are on a cross country trip currently in NM. heading for California and need to get another detector along the way.
The DATE on the back of this unit is January 1st 2015. I see that RV Country and Etrailer have them in stock.
Has anyone purchased one from a Camping World Store?? Any suggestions would help. Thanks so much. Jimmyd
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:26 AM   #2

Those detectors have a built in expiration and will beep when they get old. Your only solution is to buy and install a new one. Be sure to check the expiration date on the new one before you purchase it as some sources sell detectors cheap that are close to expiring.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
Those detectors have a built in expiration and will beep when they get old. Your only solution is to buy and install a new one. Be sure to check the expiration date on the new one before you purchase it as some sources sell detectors cheap that are close to expiring.
Thanks us71na. I am aware of the expiration date and will keep that in mind when buying. It seemed like this unit failed too soon. I saw online this model 31011 and also a new number 31012 which now looks like Dometic bought out Atwood.
Your also correct about them selling old stock. Anyone buying be aware of the new number. It is most likely an updated version.
Jimmyd
Old 05-03-2019, 07:04 AM   #4

I would say it seams early. But over the years I there have been lots of comments on them dying after a year or two.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I would say it seams early. But over the years I there have been lots of comments on them dying after a year or two.
That was my thought. They are next to the door opening and get lots of fumes and dust from outside.
Thanks, Jimmyd
Old 05-03-2019, 08:04 AM   #6
Site Team

Most any rv store worth its salt will have one in stock. As stated, they don’t always make it to the 5 year expiration date. Make sure to check the replacement for age at purchasing.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Most any rv store worth its salt will have one in stock. As stated, they don’t always make it to the 5 year expiration date. Make sure to check the replacement for age at purchasing.
Thanks norty1. We are in Gallup, NM heading for California. Will try CW in Flagstaff, Az. They may have some in stock. Jimmyd
Old 05-03-2019, 08:26 AM   #8
Site Team

It’s easy to swap. 2screws and 2 wires. You may need a couple of wire nuts if you do it. It’s 12vdc.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 05-03-2019, 08:42 AM   #9

Quote:
It’s easy to swap. 2screws and 2 wires. You may need a couple of wire nuts if you do it. It’s 12vdc.
I’ve already pulled it out. 3 wires and 4 screws hold it in. Took pictures so I can reinstall new unit. We had the same issue on large diesel pushers. These carbon monoxide things fail a lot. Need to carry a spare to keep my dogs sane. They hate the beeping and go hide out. Not good if there was a real emergency.
Thanks again for your guidance. Jimmyd
Old 05-03-2019, 08:44 AM   #10
Site Team

Like norty1 said... "Easy Swap"

----------------
From another post..
If you pull out the unit, there is a date stamped on the back of the unit. Mine was stamped JUL 27 2015. I just put in the replacement unit in this morning and it had a date of something and 2023 on it. As you can see I put the year on the cover of the unit, as this is not the first to be replaced. I did not bring the label maker so I used tape for displaying the date.

When I called the company earlier this week they said that it should be replaced every 5 years. It has a 1 year warranty. Well as you can see I made it 4+ years. I ordered a new one from Amazon and it arrived in 2 days.

The new one is up and running.... so far. It has a nice green light working. I also installed a switch next to it, to disable the unit, should I need to... like in 4+ years from now I hope.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
MISC - CO Detector1.jpg   MISC - CO Detector2.jpg   MISC - CO Detector4.jpg   MISC - CO Detector5.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:33 AM   #11

One additional suggestion to extend the life. You mention dogs in the first post. These units have been noted to be sensitive to dog dander. It is always a good idea to give the sensor a quick pass with the vacuum every time you are cleaning the TT. Same for the smoke detector and LPG detectors (if separate from the CO). Contamination from dust and debris in the sensor chamber can reduce the life span and efficiency of all types of detectors.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:19 AM   #12

Ours failed at about 18 months and Jayco replaced under warranty - we had it disconnected for a couple of months before it was replaced ( disconnected did us as much good as a malfunctioning unit ) Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:33 PM   #13

Unhappy Don't Use Lysol Spray

A few months back I thought I was going to have to replace my detector in my 2017 Greyhawk because it kept going off. This happened immediately after I used a Lysol disinfectant spray on a few areas in the coach.

Come to find out, propane is used as the propellant in this product. Well, the detector did go off right away even though I didn't spray near it.

I left the windows and door open for a few days but the detector would go off every morning. I would open the door and it would stop beeping after a short bit. This was pretty consistent day after day even though I aired the coach out. I even had a big fan going all day at the door area.

I purchased a handheld propane detector and measured different areas including around the detector and it didn't detect anything.

Hmmmm. At this time I figured the spray damaged the detector so I was on the verge of ordering a new one. I thought, what the heck I'll try one last thing. I'll reboot the sucker. I used the battery disconnect switch and left the coach dead for 24 hours.

Vonderbar! No more beeping. Appears to be operating normally once again. Very strange. Can't understand why it would only go off first thing in the morning and never later on even with all windows closed. This all took place while coach was not being used. Well, actually the first couple of early morning times it did go off we were camping. It woke us up, which was fun in itself. Opening the door quieted it down. I did use the push button to temporarily quiet it but that only lasts for a short period.
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:59 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd View Post
I’ve already pulled it out. 3 wires and 4 screws hold it in. Took pictures so I can reinstall new unit. We had the same issue on large diesel pushers. These carbon monoxide things fail a lot. Need to carry a spare to keep my dogs sane. They hate the beeping and go hide out. Not good if there was a real emergency.
Thanks again for your guidance. Jimmyd
Well there I go talking about mine and not knowing yours is different.

I did buy a ac powered one with 9v battery backup and I keep it in a drawer with the battery removed in case mine goes out again while we are on the road.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 05-03-2019, 02:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
When I called the company earlier this week they said that it should be replaced every 5 years. It has a 1 year warranty.

This is good to know. It's not something that we were told on our PDI. Our trailer is a 2013, no idea what the date on the propane/carbon monoxide alarm is. Interestingly enough our had a red light when I plugged in the trailer. It went away after about 20 minutes. On the list to replace now.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Like norty1 said... "Easy Swap"

----------------
From another post..
If you pull out the unit, there is a date stamped on the back of the unit. Mine was stamped JUL 27 2015. I just put in the replacement unit in this morning and it had a date of something and 2023 on it. As you can see I put the year on the cover of the unit, as this is not the first to be replaced. I did not bring the label maker so I used tape for displaying the date.

When I called the company earlier this week they said that it should be replaced every 5 years. It has a 1 year warranty. Well as you can see I made it 4+ years. I ordered a new one from Amazon and it arrived in 2 days.

The new one is up and running.... so far. It has a nice green light working. I also installed a switch next to it, to disable the unit, should I need to... like in 4+ years from now I hope.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Hello Don, we have a little different model than you. I will attach a few pics.
This always happens when we are in no mans land. Presently in Gallup, NM.
Hope you are doing well. Jimmyd
Attached Thumbnails
D524AC29-256B-47B8-B32D-81C80C61BBE2.jpg   E56A1E21-88DF-4DE2-8AB3-263D66932B56.jpg  
Old 05-03-2019, 06:14 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Hello Don, we have a little different model than you. I will attach a few pics.
This always happens when we are in no mans land. Presently in Gallup, NM.
Hope you are doing well. Jimmyd
Thanks for the picture. I looked up Gallup NM, I believe that it is way past no mans land. That seems to be the way it always goes, in the middle of nowhere and a part decides to call it quits.

We will be back in Hiawassee GA in a week or 2.

Enjoy your trip
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Thanks for the picture. I looked up Gallup NM, I believe that it is way past no mans land. That seems to be the way it always goes, in the middle of nowhere and a part decides to call it quits.

We will be back in Hiawassee GA in a week or 2.

Enjoy your trip
Don
Don, enjoy the cooler weather up in Hiawassee. We sometimes miss our Lake house and the cooler summers.
Enjoy and keep in touch. Jimmyd
Old 05-04-2019, 05:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Well there I go talking about mine and not knowing yours is different.

I did buy a ac powered one with 9v battery backup and I keep it in a drawer with the battery removed in case mine goes out again while we are on the road.
Norty1, I guess different models of the detectors were used. I noticed that Mustang65 has a picture of his which is rectangle. Our detector is square. Who can figure. Maybe after 2016 models they found a better unit or better deal at Jayco. Either way they don’t have a very long life on our coaches. Take care, Jimmyd
Old 05-08-2019, 12:10 PM   #20

Quote:
We have a 2016 Greyhawk 29MV and last night our propane/ carbon monoxide detector failed.
Have there been issues with the Atwood detectors that anyone knows of. I had to disconnect it for now as the beeping was making our dogs hideout.
We are on a cross country trip currently in NM. heading for California and need to get another detector along the way.
The DATE on the back of this unit is January 1st 2015. I see that RV Country and Etrailer have them in stock.
Has anyone purchased one from a Camping World Store?? Any suggestions would help. Thanks so much. Jimmyd
If by 'fail' you mean simply beeping for no reason, then I had a similar issue. Mine beeped after few hours running on RV battery. I could charge the battery but that's not convenient at 3am, so I installed a switch to simply shut off the detector at such times. Never had the issue when on shore power.
Djnock is offline   Reply With Quote