Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-19-2018, 07:23 PM   #1

Propane regulator

I just took along trip last week and luckily when i stoped for gas i smelt propane. The regulator was leaking . So i shut the tank off and picked up a replacement at camping world. Crazy thing is this is my second regulator to leak the first one blew out the first week i brought the rig home. Im freaked out about driving with the propane on anymore. I guess i will have to run the genny for the fridge. Is anyone else having problems with these? Anyone know it they make a upgraded regulator i can purchase?
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:27 PM   #2

Greyh,

Same thing happened to me about a year ago. The regulator (original equipment on a camper less than two years old), leaked. I replaced it.
Then the new one started leaking. I was near a small, one store, local rv delearship which recommended a regulator made by Marshall, and I gave it a try. Havn't had a problem since.

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:05 AM   #3

Am installing a Marshal Excelsior regulator to replace the OEM. Ended up with an extra due to an ordering issue when I purchased the unit on Amazon. It is the same unit I installed on our new propane line into the house for the gas range.

The Marshal regulator is installed on the front of the TT but found that the OEM pigtails didn't fit the input connectors on the regulator. Should have just ordered the same ones I used for the home install, but got cheap and tried to use the OEM hoses. Something about pipe threads on the oem and inverted flare something or another on the ones that fit the new regulator. New pigtails [$46 pair] arriving tomorrow and I will complete the install and test the system.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:57 PM   #4

I have had two fail in 3 years of owning my Seneca. I ordered a spare the last time and keep it in my tool compartment just in case. It seems like both times mine have failed was when we were coming out of sub-freezing temps, but I won't discount time / time-on-the-road being a factor either...
Old 03-21-2018, 09:59 AM   #5

Propane Regulator

I just replaced ours this weekend. I am guess the OEM was the one I removed. The valve would not switch over to the full tank, so I had to undo both tanks and switch the position for it to use the full tank on the left. I just replaced it with the Camco Double-Stage Auto Changeover Regulator, $36.40 on Amazon. Easy swap out. Tested, no leaks. First trip with it is starting this weekend.
Mr&MrsSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:01 AM   #6

I've already had to replace the OEM one, and one of the pigtails, on my 1.5 y/o TT. I made them do it under warranty as they had it in for another issue. I will definitely upgrade to a different one if/when I have problems with this one outside of the warranty period.

shrp
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:17 PM   #7

Similar experience with the made in China that the dealer installed, which failed on our second outing. I replaced it with a Marshall and put a second Marshall in my toolbox just in case. I also learned about yellow teflon pipe tape for gas.
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:14 PM   #8

SO GLAD that somebody started this thread! I have also gone through two regulators but was surprised that my RV dealer didn't have an upgraded one I could buy vs. just keep giving me replacement units. Nice to hear that I can get one off Amazon that might fix the problem for good!
Equal i zer 10k w/sway control
Wife, Kid, Entlebucher
EV4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:49 PM   #9

Thanks im gonna order a Marshall and keep the camping world unit as a spare.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Am installing a Marshal Excelsior regulator to replace the OEM. Ended up with an extra due to an ordering issue when I purchased the unit on Amazon. It is the same unit I installed on our new propane line into the house for the gas range.

The Marshal regulator is installed on the front of the TT but found that the OEM pigtails didn't fit the input connectors on the regulator. Should have just ordered the same ones I used for the home install, but got cheap and tried to use the OEM hoses. Something about pipe threads on the oem and inverted flare something or another on the ones that fit the new regulator. New pigtails [$46 pair] arriving tomorrow and I will complete the install and test the system.
Update: New pigtails installed, system tested, and now good to go. I put fridge on gas, lit all 3 burners on the stove top, and switched the furnace to heat. Everything functioned normally with no loss of flame on the stove.

You will likely have to modify the mount when you install the Marshall regulator. Easy enough to mcGivver a plate to connect to the back of the regulator and then secure the oem mount [with hole for the tank tiedown allthread].
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:32 PM   #11

My original ‘winntec’ started leaking mid second season. I replaced it with another winntec supplied by dealer under Jayco warranty. I’ve since purchased a spare ‘cavagna’ regulator from Amazon. I want to have one on hand for next time it craps out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk