Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-16-2015, 06:30 AM   #1

Question Propane Tank Warming Up

Hi all. We had our first camping trip this season with our 2015 Greyhawk. We drove for about an hour on the highway to the campground and when I turned on the 50lbs. onboard propane tank the level indicator was slightly in the red and the tank was warm to the touch. The tank was just under full when we left and cool to the touch. We have always had trailers before and never had this issue. This is our first MH. Is this normal?. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Blue Ox Tow Package
Blog: https://mfalcontraveler.wordpress.com/
MFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:44 AM   #2

Any chance your exhaust system,especially the catalytic converter, runs close to the tank? The metal propane tank could be conducting heat from that source.
2007 Yamaha Grizzly 400 ATV and Yamaha 2000 watt Genny
Me/retired insurance claims and DW/retired RN.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."-Red Green
dougfir1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:30 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply dougfir1. There is about a foot and half distance as well as a metal deflection shield between the catalytic converter and the propane tank. I can see no heat generating source around the tank.
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Blue Ox Tow Package
Old 05-16-2015, 09:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFalcon View Post
snip... There is about a foot and half distance as well as a metal deflection shield between the catalytic converter and the propane tank. I can see no heat generating source around the tank.
Exhaust catalytic converters get VERY hot. That is why they often have some sort of heat shield. That is probably the source of your heat.

Here in AZ we have road side fires started by catalytic converters when folks pull off the road and park in dry grasses.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:16 AM   #5

Thanks oldmanAZ. Do you or anyone else have a problem with the propane tank getting warm when they drive?
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Blue Ox Tow Package
Old 05-16-2015, 12:48 PM   #6

My guess is the pressure looked high because the tank was warmer than when it was filled, but no idea why the tank would be warmer than anything else in your storage compartments, unless that heat was from an outside source like mentioned, an exhaust or catalytic converter. But I would run something propane and use it until it was a least out of the red.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 02:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFalcon View Post
Thanks oldmanAZ. Do you or anyone else have a problem with the propane tank getting warm when they drive?
I have a TT, so no.

From your earlier post, '... onboard propane tank the level indicator was slightly in the red...' That means the propane level in the tank is getting low, correct?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
Old 05-17-2015, 06:13 AM   #8

Actually, the tank was full. This was our first trip out with it in the warmer weather this year. We bought our rig last fall and only had one trip with it, with no issues. But on our first trip out this year, the indicator showed passed the full mark at the top, into the red area. I just wanted to know if anyone else had the issue with their onboard tank. Thanks everyone for your replies so far and any further info you can provide.
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Blue Ox Tow Package
Old 05-17-2015, 07:56 AM   #9

A propane tank is filled to only 80% capacity to allow room for gas expansion. If warmer temps push the volume into the 20% cushion, it is okay as that is its purpose.

From a propane blog:
Quote:
The 80-percent fill is a preventative safety measure against the fluctuations that happen inside a tank. Propane, like other gases, expands when it’s hot and contracts when it’s cool. That means a tank that is 80-percent full on a mild March day, might register as 85-percent (or higher) at the mid-July barbecue. It’s the same amount of propane, but it’s taking up more space. So the extra headroom is a cushion against the pressure that builds up in a tank when it’s hot out.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:42 AM   #10

Thanks NCRoamer. I understand the expansion and contraction properties of propane and other gasses, but the information is always welcomed. I guess I just wanted to ask if anyone else's tank warms up when they drive. Thanks again.
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Blue Ox Tow Package
Old 05-17-2015, 08:58 PM   #11

Been using mine for 3 years but never checked to see if the tank was warm.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:44 AM   #12

I also have a problem with the propane tank getting very hot. Last summer it got so hot the safety value released. Asked the dealer but he was no help. Asked the propane guy and he said that's what it is suppose to do but seems dangerous to me. Has anyone found a solution for this problem? Been thinking about calling Jayco.
cchandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:57 AM   #13

Don't leave the tanks in the direct sun?

A beach umbrella. Turning the RV so the tanks are not on the South/Southwest side?

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:26 AM   #14

Do you have one of the black tank covers? If so, pull the cover off if it is direct sunlight on very hot days. The tanks are white.

It seems the safety valve is working as intended. BUT having propane gas venting anywhere it could collect or around any ignition source is a potential hazard, I would think.

You said that was last year. What is different this year? It has been very hot here in AZ recently.

EDIT: Ignore my post. Didn't know it was a Greyhawk. Assumed it wa a TT.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:44 AM   #15

I decided to call Jayco. They are aware of the problem and have a heat shield kit to prevent the tank from overheating. Gee you think they could have notified people of this potentially dangerous problem. They are going to send the kit to dealer and install free. This problem only happens after driving on a hot day. If you have a greyhawk 26 check your tank.
cchandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:04 PM   #16

Thanks everyone for your responses and information. Going on a two week trip this summer and I will continue to monitor the tank for over heating. If anyone else has this problem with their onboard 50 LBS tank, please let me know. Question to CCHandler? What kind of heat shield kit is the company sending to your dealer? Will it add on to the existing heat shield that already shields the tank from the catalytic converter? Cheers
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Blue Ox Tow Package
Old 07-18-2016, 02:31 PM   #17

Same issue

We have a 2011 greyhawk and it is doing the same thing, and now the hose is melting. After reading your thread, we called Jayco and they said they have never heard of them sending a kit and installing for free. We just got off the new phone with them 30 mins ago. Did you speak to customer service or technician? I know it has been a few years.
dlpatterson357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:25 PM   #18

No I have not spoken to JAYCO about this. I just completed a five day trip, mostly freeway and very hot tempretures for this part of the country and although my tank did warm up it didn't seem to heat up as much as it did last year. What hose melted? I would like to know so I can keep an eye on it. Did JAYCO offer a solution with your melted hose issue?
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Blue Ox Tow Package
Old 07-18-2016, 04:24 PM   #19

I was thinking the black tank covers were not a good idea as black absorbs heat and white reflects. Yes the black covers don't get dirty as fast but they will increase tank temperature. I have the white, dirty white covers.

Same thing with black tire covers they will increase tire temperature in direct sun.
Doboy Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doboy Dawg View Post
I was thinking the black tank covers were not a good idea as black absorbs heat and white reflects. Yes the black covers don't get dirty as fast but they will increase tank temperature. I have the white, dirty white covers.

Same thing with black tire covers they will increase tire temperature in direct sun.
Before we purchased our TT I spoke directly with Jayco regarding the black tank covers. By law the tanks have to be a light reflecting color. While Black was standard I got the white covers for our tanks. Here in Az the outside of the TT gets to almost 150 in the sun, at about 185 you risk the propane relief valve opening. Good think is propane has a fairly small window of mixture to ignite. An open valve would dilute with the air and will not ignite. After about, I think 11% propane to air mixture you can't ignite propane. It is not like natural gas or gasoline fumes.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote