Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-02-2019, 12:51 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Well, it kinda is Jayco's fault...
Doesn't Jayco decide which appliances they are putting in their rigs? Don't they decide which onboard propane tank they are using? Don't the engineers do any calculating on usage, BTUs, flows, etc.?
Only so many brands available at a price point that most will pay and BTU's are BTU's. I think TRUMA is the only high efficiency and it is double the cost of Suburban, Attwood etc. and they seem to be designed for the smaller rigs.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:13 PM   #22

Sounds about right. I ran ours for 4 nights in high 30’s at night and blew through a half tank according to the Mopeka Tank Monitors I recently installed.
Attached Thumbnails
8BDFE24B-D495-4772-B7FC-CD54E690C254.jpg  
BigD480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:22 PM   #23

Simple answer for propane usage

One pound of propane equals 19,345 BTU. Go to the owners manual and in the back it will tell you how many BTYs each uses an hour. If you don’t have the manual look at the rating plate on each appliance for the hourly consumption.
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:03 PM   #24

Although it's super nice, we use the propane furnace as little as possible. On cold mornings the furnace works well for a few minutes to take the chill out after we emerge from our warm sleeping bags in the hybrid tent. If the night is cold or wet we run a ceramic heater with a low-speed fan behind it. That keeps us warm and alleviates condensation.

I installed an independent 15A plug that powers a GFI duplex receptacle so we have an optional second power source to the camper. I use it for the heater, otherwise running the heater and another high-draw appliance such as the coffee maker or a hair dryer at the same time trips the breaker.

We run the refrig on propane while we travel but usually use the water heater only for extended stays or showers. We heat water in an aluminum coffee pot with the propane stove or an electric hot plate and pour that into our coffee thermos. That keeps the thermos hot and provides hot water for dishes and hand washing.

We typically go 5-6 weeks on a 20 pound tank of propane.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:33 PM   #25

We have used propane on extended trip in cold weather (at night) around 28 - 32 degrees. We keep our electric heater for emergencies only. After a week of use at Grand Canyon last year we barely used a whole tank. Had plenty left over with the second tank. We've been out for 3 weeks and have never used up two tanks. Heat is on all night, propane also used for cooking.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:43 PM   #26

Use a electric floor heater. You paid for the electricity at your site. Save your fuel for cooking etc.
LaPlace,LaOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:44 PM   #27
CAG

It is important to remember that these trailers are not the same as your house. Even with the extra insulation of "Alaska Insulation" you have thin walls, single pane window, and a roof with less that adequate insulation. If you try to keep it 70+ inside you will be out of propane in a day or two when the temps outside are in the teens and 20s.

We Elk hunt at 8000+ feet altitude in early December. Temps will get to 0 F at night and 40-50s during the day. We use a Big Buddy heater for extra heat and keep the thermostat at 55 F to keep heat in the underbelly of the 5th wheel toy hauler. We usually have to fill both 30 lb tanks once during a 10 day trip.

Besides the inadequate insulation in all trailers/motorhomes, every time you open the door to the very small space inside, you cool it back down enough to kick the heat on and burn propane.

So don't blame it on one particular brand. It is something that comes with camping/living in a trailer.
CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 06:56 PM   #28

Only one responder mentioned the underbelly warming. Not using the onboard heating can leave the fresh water, grey and black tanks at risk of freezing. Using a plug in electric heater will not protect these tanks
Old 11-02-2019, 07:07 PM   #29

I don’t like the fact that my RedHawk furnace only uses propane! My last RV had a Tuma combi, great system ran on every type of power! Having one heat source stinks! I always carry an electric back up and only winter camp for 2 weeks during the holidays but if it was long term I would run electric heaters only.

I have a play n stay hook up for an external tank supply but never used it. I might sell it if anyone is interested?
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:30 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
I'm not sure that's Jayco's fault.

Winter camping for us means lows in the high teens.
The tank will last 4-5 days for us.

I did find one of these on clearance at our local camping world. Easy to install and just carry a 20# "BBQ" style propane tank for backup.
Hi PConroy,

That adapter looks interesting. Do you have a manufacturer's name and/or part # to reference?

Thank You,
D
Old 11-03-2019, 10:16 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONKYBIZ View Post
Hi PConroy,

That adapter looks interesting. Do you have a manufacturer's name and/or part # to reference?

Thank You,
D

Camco makes them as does the parent company for the Buddy Heaters.
There are a few variations, so you have to stare at your tank regulator for a minute (maybe disassemble it a bit) before ordering.

The one I had was marked down to around $8 or so at Camping World! So I just hit Amazon up for the hoses.

The kit will be something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Connect...2797694&sr=8-3

There are three port and four port kits available depending on what you want to do.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:23 AM   #32
CAG

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=camco+ext...b_sb_ss_i_3_11

Try this.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:24 AM   #33
CAG

LOL. We both posted about the same time.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:47 AM   #34

We spent 6 nights in mid-October at Lassen NP, the first three at a KOA and three in the park (all amenities were shut down by then in the campground, but the campground itself stayed open until the 31st). We filled up when we left the KOA. We have a 10-gallon tank. We ran the generator for 2 hours once the first day, 2 hours twice the second and third days, and once for two hours the morning we left. We ran the ceramic electric whenever the generator was on. It was cold during the day but extremely cold each night (down to 25-30), so we had to run the furnace. We set it at 60 at night and 55 during the day when the generator was off and we were hiking. We filled up again after we left the park and had used 9 gallons. Our furance eats us alive; but I think that having run the furnace that much, and with such a small tank, we did pretty good!
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:10 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Thanks for all the feedback, I'll have to remember to bring an electric heater next time...

Another Jayco engineering marvel, if you want to use the built in furnace, cook and use the propane water heater, you'll need to tow your own propane delivery truck, as the onboard tank will be empty in a few days.... nice....
WE were out for 40 days this last spring in our greyhawk 30 foot class C. We usually chase 70. That is try to stay where it is 70 degrees, but we ran the heater most morning s and the fridge ran on it full time since we only boondock plus the showers and cooking two meals a day. I just had it refilled to be ready for next spring and it cost me 13 dollars. About 4 gallons of gas or LBS or what ever they use to charge for propane. Not too shabby for 40 continuous days and nights on the road.
1SGPETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 03:46 PM   #36

Never heard of this before. My tanks have their own heaters. Is this a Northern thing. At 30 deg the floor heater keeps the camper quite warm . You cant even leave it on long. What under belly warming are you referring too? Curious.
LaPlace,LaOwner is offline   Reply With Quote