Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #1

Pulling off, for cars behind you

I ventured out a couple weeks ago on my new to me Jayco 26ss. I was later told by a friend the road I was on was the worst I will ever tackle. The road was a two lane windy up hill for a long ways. I would see cas backing up behind me. Every chance, I would pull over and let them pass. A few minutes later the same amount of cars behind me. I would pull over again. Then getting back on the road again without some fast driver hitting you was also a challenge. What do some of you do? Stan
stans02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:51 AM   #2

Find an alternate route?

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #3

I basically do the same thing you did. We recently took a trip to the north Georgia mountains. Needless to say, the road was hilly and winding and smaller vehicles tended to back up behind me. Rather than being "pressured" to speed up my 31 ft MH with toad attached, I took advantage of several areas to pull off the road just long enough to let the traffic pass, then got right back on the road. Just have to be very careful about pulling back onto the road with limited rear sight distance etc. Most drivers behind me would wave in appreciation as they passed by me. I think you did the right thing by pulling over when possible. One thing I have tried to do is plan my leaving times so I am not in a big hurry to get to my destination. Handling a big rig has enough inherent pressure for me, so I don't want to get anxious or frustrated about my driving time.
dennisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #4

It is always wise to be considerate on the road. You will get there just as soon and you won't possibly be a victim of road rage that is really starting to rear it's ugly head in North America.

In my area before they widened the highway to two lanes in the Banff, Lake Louise area, vehicles would be lined up for miles behind some of these tourists who only wanted to gawk at livestock and traveling well under the speed limit with no thought of vehicles behind them. Just be considerate and you will do well.
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #5

Currently traveling in Alaska and noticed that on some 2 lane roads (Seward Highway), they have signs posted stating that delaying 5 cars or more is illegal and to use the pullouts, of which there are many.
2006 Granite Ridge 2900GS
2015 Montana High Country 345RL
cdrcos@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote