Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-24-2021, 06:25 PM   #1

Push-on simulators to Bolt-On Simulators

I have tire issues and have read through many tire threads but haven't found the answer. I have a 2021 Grayhawk 30z with push-on wheel simulators. I want to switch to bolt-on simulators so I can add valve extenders with the support bracket. It seems my wheel studs have almost no threads available to put on the stud extenders for bolt-on simulators.

What's a work-around to make the switch from push-on wheel simulators to bolt on simulators? Thinner lug nuts on the two studs that will accommodate the stud extenders?
Old 03-24-2021, 09:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCANCamper View Post
I have tire issues and have read through many tire threads but haven't found the answer. I have a 2021 Grayhawk 30z with push-on wheel simulators. I want to switch to bolt-on simulators so I can add valve extenders with the support bracket. It seems my wheel studs have almost no threads available to put on the stud extenders for bolt-on simulators.

What's a work-around to make the switch from push-on wheel simulators to bolt on simulators? Thinner lug nuts on the two studs that will accommodate the stud extenders?

I have the wheel simulators with stainless steel braided valve extender and they work fine. No need to change out the simulators.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:32 PM   #3

I have solid stainless extended valve stems on our Greyhawk with the push-on simulators. Been running them for two years without problem. They certainly make checking and airing up the tires easy.
Attached Thumbnails
DA145D76-2AB1-459B-B1D4-BA3287118C10.jpg  

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 05:22 PM   #4

I'm concerned about attaching the valve extenders to my press-on wheel simulators. I've read about the press-on simulators coming off while driving, which would rip the valve extenders off. The Borg DuallyValves don't work with internal TPMS sensors which my RV has. And since there's almost no available threads on the studs I don't think I can install stud extenders for bolt on simulators.

I'm open to options, anything to make airing up my duallys easier, preferably with the simulators installed. Thanks
Old 03-25-2021, 07:07 PM   #5

I don't use extenders anymore as I had bad luck with them and they didn't work well with my external tpms sensors. What I discovered is that you can very easily inflate all the tires with a "straight on" air chuck like this one and without the need for extenders. You can also find straight on air gauges as well.
https://www.amazon.com/Milton-S-693-...720070&sr=8-20
Old 03-25-2021, 07:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I don't use extenders anymore as I had bad luck with them and they didn't work well with my external tpms sensors. What I discovered is that you can very easily inflate all the tires with a "straight on" air chuck like this one and without the need for extenders. You can also find straight on air gauges as well.
https://www.amazon.com/Milton-S-693-...720070&sr=8-20
X2.

Milton Chuck

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 07:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
+1

I use one just like that Milton with the gauge and flex hose.

I also had a bad experience with valve extenders, so I don't like to use them.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 08:53 AM   #8

I have the Viair compressor with that style chuck. I've tried using it several times but it never seems to seat properly and I end up losing air in the tire. Maybe I just need practice using that style chuck, or maybe it's defective, not sure. I'll give it another try. Thanks all.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:15 AM   #9

Just to be sure we are talking about the same chuck style, the one on the left is common but didn't work well for me, the one on the right did work well and is what I use. If you have the style with no angle and it is not working well for you, then I would order a new one. Also, you could use a flashlight and make sure that you are able to get onto the valve stem nice and straight.

As another thought, I am using the oem factory straight style valve stems and can reach them easily with the wheel covers on, if your valve steams are not the same style then perhaps that could make the difference. ~CA
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
Old 03-27-2021, 09:27 AM   #10

One other thought, although I suspect is not the case but something I have seen, be sure that the outer tire's valve stem is 180 degrees off from the inner wheel valve stem (each stem on opposite sides). If they are both in alignment with each other then the outer valve stem would be in the way of reaching the inner valve stem.
Old 03-27-2021, 10:00 AM   #11

I tried again. I can access all the valve stems except for the outer tires. It's like either my chuck, and my pressure gauge, both don't have enough angle to properly seat on the valve stem. At least all the valve stems are metal. But those outer tires are a no-go. I can't check the pressure and I can't put air in them. I tried the short curved, metal valve extenders, they leaked and left me on the side of a busy highway. I was able to air up my tires and check pressure with them on, but in the fine print, it says not to operate the vehicle while those extenders are attached.

Maybe I'll try the Alligator V2B caps. Those might give me enough extension, about 3/4 inch, to get my straight chuck on the valves.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:59 AM   #12

Hi NYCANCamper, I was thinking all along that you were having an issue reaching the inside tires. If you can take a quick picture of the valve stem you have for your tires then I will be happy to compare with mine and determine if perhaps they are of a different style, length, angle, etc.. The outside tires on mine were never the hard ones to reach, just the inside tires until I discovered the straight on chuck style for filling and pressure checking. ~CA
Old 03-27-2021, 01:58 PM   #13

Quote:
I tried again. I can access all the valve stems except for the outer tires. It's like either my chuck, and my pressure gauge, both don't have enough angle to properly seat on the valve stem. At least all the valve stems are metal. But those outer tires are a no-go. I can't check the pressure and I can't put air in them. I tried the short curved, metal valve extenders, they leaked and left me on the side of a busy highway. I was able to air up my tires and check pressure with them on, but in the fine print, it says not to operate the vehicle while those extenders are attached.

Maybe I'll try the Alligator V2B caps. Those might give me enough extension, about 3/4 inch, to get my straight chuck on the valves.
I had the same problem with the Viair 400P and tried a number of chucks, hoses, and extenders that I had or could borrow from my neighbors. I also had problems with the inner as well as the outer tires.

I finally found something in my tool bag that worked but had to remove the hub-cap to get a good seal. I'll have to give CA's straight chuck a try with the Viair as I'd really like to have a portable solution. I think I must be using the Viair incorrectly as it's so highly rated. Is there a trick or do I just need to get a good seal?

-Brian

2021 Jayco Redhawk 24B
Home Base: Colorado
Brian_HR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 02:00 PM   #14

On my last rig I ended up cutting a (ugly) notch into the wheel liner. This allowed me to get the proper angle on the stem. I had wondered if things changed somehow when Ford went from Michelin tires to the Hancook tires they now put on.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 03:04 PM   #15

My outer tires have the short metal valve stem point inward, toward the inner tires. I purchased a Milton chuck as well as the V2B valve caps. Hopefully, between the two I'll be able to air up the outer tires.

As for the Viair compressor, it works great. I also purchased an air gun with a digital readout, much better than trying to read the analog gauge. And I bought a clip-on air chuck, super easy to get a tight seal.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Just to be sure we are talking about the same chuck style, the one on the left is common but didn't work well for me, the one on the right did work well and is what I use. If you have the style with no angle and it is not working well for you, then I would order a new one. Also, you could use a flashlight and make sure that you are able to get onto the valve stem nice and straight.

As another thought, I am using the oem factory straight style valve stems and can reach them easily with the wheel covers on, if your valve steams are not the same style then perhaps that could make the difference. ~CA
So I have the one on the left and as you said it does not work. I will be happy to purchase the one on the right but I am curious as to the difference? They look like the same angle.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
So I have the one on the left and as you said it does not work. I will be happy to purchase the one on the right but I am curious as to the difference? They look like the same angle.
My recommendation was based on the thought that the concerns were with the inflating the inside tire and the chuck that has the tip straight on it is much easier to use on mine vs the chuck with the angle at the end, as far as the outside tire there may not be as much difference with the two different styles. I will check it out on mine likely tomorrow as I need to carefully inspect and top off the tire pressures for my spring maintenance soon anyway.

I will add that I haven't had issues with either inside or outside tire using the chuck style on the right, however I never compared the two styles for the outside tire in particular as my original issues were with the inside tires. But I still have both style chucks so I will check and see if one is any better for the outside tires. ~CA
Old 04-01-2021, 01:20 PM   #18

Quote:
My outer tires have the short metal valve stem point inward, toward the inner tires. I purchased a Milton chuck as well as the V2B valve caps. Hopefully, between the two I'll be able to air up the outer tires.

As for the Viair compressor, it works great. I also purchased an air gun with a digital readout, much better than trying to read the analog gauge. And I bought a clip-on air chuck, super easy to get a tight seal.
Not sure if I'm following this correctly, but could you break the bead on the outer tires and either rotate the existing valve stem to make access easier or replace the stem with one that would make it easier to access without using valve extenders.

There's got be numerous lengths ,angles that are available that would meet your needs for access.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:28 AM   #19

Quote:

I'd be interested to learn what you're using with the Viair? Could share a link or a photo?

-Brian

2021 Jayco Redhawk 24B
Home Base: Colorado
Brian_HR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:23 PM   #20

I purchased the Milton air chuck and it works great. There is more angle on the head compared to the one that came with the Viair. I'm now able to air all tires with the Milton. That's a relief, no more extenders for me.

On a related note, what is an acceptable increase in tire pressure? After driving for an hour, my front tires go from 75psi to about 84, and the rear tires go from 80psi to 95. Seems like a huge increase, especially since the outside temp was around 74 degrees. What kind of pressures will I get when it's July and 90 degrees? Is this normal? Thanks.