Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-04-2019, 01:19 PM   #21

re: level

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I am a brand new owner with lots of questions and I have found this site to be very helpful! Thanks guys! Ok...I'm in Minnesota, the land of sub zero temps and lots of snow. My rig is on a slab on one side and pavers on the other. It's a bit unlevel. I have the robotic jack system. Can I leave those down all winter or drive onto blocks to level?
Good slope for fast drainage in storage is safest; if not running Refrig or sleeping in bed WHY level? If hydraulic, Extended hydraulic pistons could rust/ corrode and blow a seal on retraction?
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:37 PM   #22

I keep mine on a level cement slab with the levels down. It takes some of the load off of the tires.
rhouthoofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:44 PM   #23

The shafts will not rust they are hard chrome plated
michaelodunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:39 PM   #24

My preference - keep stabilizer jacks up (have heavy duty suspension, 2200# tires, 2400# springs on a 3500 GVW trailer) - avoids excess pressure on flimsy jacks in case of heavy snow or ice - keep trailer level with tires on plywood, rotate tires 90 or 180 degrees every couple months - has worked fine so far - keeping it level keeps antifreeze well at the bottom of traps and drains
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:48 PM   #25

I have my rig parked on asphalt (front wheels) and paver slab blocks on pea gravel (rear wheels). I usually have my jacks down and the coach level. At least once a month I will start and run the coach for a minimum of 15 minutes, start and run the generator under load for a minimum of 20 minutes, raise and then lower the jacks, and also extend and retract the slides.

I try to exercise all systems at least once a month during extended periods of non use. This tends to have two benefits
  • Exercises the systems and lubricates any hydraulic seals on the leveling system and generator lubricating system
  • Identifies potential issues prior to leaving on a trip

Enjoy using the down time to modernize, customize, accessorize, and memorize.

Have fun
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:01 PM   #26

WE are in North Idaho and get snow. Our Jayco 5th wheel has the leveling system, I don't use it, I just have the jacks set back at "hitch height" from unhooking and leave it there so there's drainage for the rain and snow runoff. It is kept covered to help keep accumulations directly off the roof areas.
Our last RV was a 33-foot long travel trailer, one winter I left the stabilizing jacks down all winter, MISTAKE, as the snow weight bent all the stabilizing jacks. I know with the leveling jacks they can take the extra weight, to a point, but since we are not going to be in it I won't use them.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:28 PM   #27

I have always been of the understanding that chrome will pit. If I am going to have my jacks down on our Seneca for any length of time I have simply used a cloth to apply a coat of machine oil to the shafts. I think I will give Rustys product a try. I have a level RV pad at my house and typically do not keep the jacks lowered between trips. If its going to be more than a month I do exercise the generator per manual, run the slides and move the RV a bit on the pad.
Gunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:32 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfighter View Post
I have always been of the understanding that chrome will pit. If I am going to have my jacks down on our Seneca for any length of time I have simply used a cloth to apply a coat of machine oil to the shafts. I think I will give Rustys product a try. I have a level RV pad at my house and typically do not keep the jacks lowered between trips. If its going to be more than a month I do exercise the generator per manual, run the slides and move the RV a bit on the pad.
I don’t think I ever answered but I store our Seneca jackets up but mine is inside a shop and level floor. It never really sits more than 30-45 all year long. Fluid Film is always my first choice on things for long term storage like my tracto attachments that sit out all the time but I have also tried CorrosionX with good results. Even Hard Chrome will still rust is exposed for extended periods with no protection.

https://www.corrosionx.com/products/corrosionx

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:57 AM   #29

I leave all jacks I can up all winter, one reason is less mice access. Another to me is just no need as RV not being accessed for some months...
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:03 AM   #30

Jacks up for us
380 watts of solar
2013 1500 Silverado 5.3 4x4 ext cab
Equalizer hitch 1,000/10,000
Firestone Airlift airbags
geezerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:45 AM   #31

One reason I haven't seen given - 4 to 6 more pathways for mice to get up into the unit. That's quite a few more contact points to mouse proof.

I'm in the jacks up camp for our TT, but these are leveling jacks. Not meant to handle the snow load, and frost heave can drastically change the weight distribution.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:42 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
One reason I haven't seen given - 4 to 6 more pathways for mice to get up into the unit. That's quite a few more contact points to mouse proof.

I'm in the jacks up camp for our TT, but these are leveling jacks. Not meant to handle the snow load, and frost heave can drastically change the weight distribution.

and redistribution of weight can cause the frozen linoleum flooring to crack. IMO.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote