Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-30-2019, 08:05 PM   #1

Question #2 what kind of portable heater is recommended

I live in Minnesota and would like to stay in my camper in my driveway once in a while! Ha ha....I plugged it into my garage and would like to use a safe electric heater. Any advice?
adventuregurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:15 PM   #2
Site Team

Here's a site with their top 10 heater ratings...according to them.

https://the10pro.com/best-portable-electric-heaters/

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:16 PM   #3

Just keep in mind that you are limited in the amps by the circuit you are plugged into (most likely 15 or 20 amps), unless you are connected to 30 or 50 amps. As to a brand of heater, that is your choice.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:21 PM   #4

We use this one and love it. But if your just plugged in on a garage 15A circuit you will trip the breaker if you use a coffee pot or anything other than DC lights or just the TV

Space Heater for Indoor Use, ASTERION Portable Office Heater with Adjustable Thermostat, Ceramic Oscillating Heater with 24H Timer Remote Tip Over Overheating Protection for Home Bedroom, 1500W Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VTNZC9F..._PlY4Db9W6Q212

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprapim View Post
Just keep in mind that you are limited in the amps by the circuit you are plugged into (most likely 15 or 20 amps), unless you are connected to 30 or 50 amps. As to a brand of heater, that is your choice.
Oh yes....that's true. Hmmmm....
Wish a solar one existed! Lol. Maybe my local gas company can come fill the propane
Old 11-30-2019, 08:45 PM   #6

You can use the 700 watt setting when you are using the microwave or other large power users than switch it back to 1500 when you are not and need the extra boost of heat. I would use propane for the hot water tank and frig. Neither one use much propane so one tank will last a long time. I hope you are on a 20 amp circuit.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:56 PM   #7

I use portable heaters a lot. The best of the bunch I've had was the Vornado. It's more expensive but moves more air and is higher quality. There is a website called the wirecutter. They have current reviews on a lot of things and they recommend the Vornado followed by a Lasko heater. If I have mine on high, and want to use the microwave, I just reach down and shut of the heater, use the micro, then turn it back on.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:58 PM   #8

It just dawned on me your original post “Minnesota”. You can run a 1500W heater in these rv’s. But you have to be careful which circuit you have it plugged into so you don’t trip breakers. I tripped one hooked up to 50A service cause it was only a 15A in the trailer. AND I don’t think 1500W will do much for you, a little, but not much. We get to the 30’s at night “sometimes” and with ours set to 66 the furnace still comes on occasionally.

Make peace with whomever is in the house

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Old 11-30-2019, 09:04 PM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Another thing to keep in mind on the load on the circuit is, depending on how much you're pulling from your batteries for lights and other items, your converter will cycle to charge the batteries, which will add load on the circuit. Then add in TVs or other 115 v items, and the heater, you could overload it.

Also keep in mind it will take a while to get the interior temps raised with the heater. Everything inside the rig absorbs the heat (cabinets, walls, cushions, mattress, seats, etc). Once the interior finally gets up to the temp you want, it isn't as hard to maintain those temps.

I recently built a tiny house on a trailer, and I use the mini split system to get it up to temp, then switch to a rolling radiator type electric heater to maintain temps. As long as I don't turn off that heater, it will keeps temps up running on the low setting.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 10:31 PM   #10

The best heater we've found for very cold nights here in Colorado have been the oil filled radiator kind. One of these and a small fan to circulate the air have kept our 31FK toasty.

We have a 20A circuit that feeds the RV. This heater (and any 1500 watt electric heater) will need at least a 15A circuit.

Like others have said, reach down and just flip it off when you want to use the microwave. And then flip it back on when you're done.
Attached Thumbnails
grays-radiant-heaters-hd904-a7q-64_1000.jpg  
Old 11-30-2019, 10:36 PM   #11

[QUOTELike others have said, reach down and just flip it off when you want to use the microwave. And then flip it back on when you're done.[/QUOTE]

An added note, watch out for the coffee pot.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Old 12-01-2019, 07:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Here's a site with their top 10 heater ratings...according to them.

https://the10pro.com/best-portable-electric-heaters/
Thanks!
Old 12-01-2019, 07:43 AM   #13

I have done that in my toy hauler! Lol. Thank you
Old 12-01-2019, 07:44 AM   #14

Thanks! I'll see if my electrician can change it
Old 12-01-2019, 07:48 AM   #15

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke4857 View Post
You can use the 700 watt setting when you are using the microwave or other large power users than switch it back to 1500 when you are not and need the extra boost of heat. I would use propane for the hot water tank and frig. Neither one use much propane so one tank will last a long time. I hope you are on a 20 amp circuit.
Setting? Where is the 700 and 1500? Is that a switch by the door?
Old 12-01-2019, 08:24 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Setting? Where is the 700 and 1500? Is that a switch by the door?
Low and high on the electric heater are 700 and 1500 watts.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:24 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18skyguy View Post
I use portable heaters a lot. The best of the bunch I've had was the Vornado. It's more expensive but moves more air and is higher quality. There is a website called the wirecutter. They have current reviews on a lot of things and they recommend the Vornado followed by a Lasko heater. If I have mine on high, and want to use the microwave, I just reach down and shut of the heater, use the micro, then turn it back on.
Great advice, thanks! I'll check it out. Danielle
Old 12-01-2019, 10:57 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Great advice, thanks! I'll check it out. Danielle
I sleep in my Greyhawk every night. Night before last it was 23 degrees. In my 31FS I close one of the pocket doors and just heat half the rig where I'm sleeping. During the day, one heater on high might do it, but two would be better, but they have to be different circuits. I need to map the circuits in my rig so I can keep them straight.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18skyguy View Post
but two would be better, but they have to be different circuits.

If we're plugged into a campground pedestal, then I'll run a quality 12g extension cord direct to the 20A plug on the pedestal for just one appliance.

One of those flat, 8' appliance extension cords works well to slip under the door so I can keep the door closed.

I do this for a second heater in the winter and a second AC unit in the summer.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:03 PM   #20

X2 on the Vornado. We have one for our Florida place as the main heat source in the living room and kitchen. Much quieter than small cheap ones. Better than oil heaters as they take a long time to get fully hot and then do not regulate well
Get the Vornado model that has electronic temperature control for best results. Set and forget.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote