Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-23-2020, 06:46 AM   #1

Question about a shore power mod.

Since my 22J comes with a compartment to store the shore power cord, I'm thinking about this possible mod.

I would cut the shore power cord inside the compartment. I would put a female receptacle on the short end. I would put a male plug on the long cord.

This would allow me to plug the short cord into the PI EMS, then plug the power cord into the PI EMS. This way my portable EMS would be tucked away out of the sight of lustful eyes.

Think this would work well?

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 07:11 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
Since my 22J comes with a compartment to store the shore power cord, I'm thinking about this possible mod.

I would cut the shore power cord inside the compartment. I would put a female receptacle on the short end. I would put a male plug on the long cord.

This would allow me to plug the short cord into the PI EMS, then plug the power cord into the PI EMS. This way my portable EMS would be tucked away out of the sight of lustful eyes.

Many of us have done that exact thing. It has worked well for me for years, now. Go for it !!
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprapim View Post
Many of us have done that exact thing. It has worked well for me for years, now. Go for it !!

X2 I also keep my PI Unit in there. Never had any problems.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 07:34 AM   #4

It works! I've done it on 3 different units. On the first one I used a permanent wired in unit. The problem with that is I couldn't take it with me and I couldn't remove it from the system if it was causing a problem. (some generators don't like the metering of correct power and cause a fault) So just buy a couple of more female male connections and make it so the Surge protector can be removed. Just my thoughts, your results may prove different.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 07:43 AM   #5

I did that shore power mod as well, and I intend to hook up my EMS just the way you're describing. It'll be nice to have it in a locked compartment.

One tidbit of advice: Since you're going to be in the area anyway, I would go into the junction box at the back of the compartment where the shore power connects and check to make sure those connections are good and tight. Also check the clamps on both sides of the box to make sure pulling on the cords from outside the box, the connected ends don't move inside the junction box.

I had a problem where one of my wire nuts popped off and melted some wires in there. Could EASILY have caused a fire. Turned out the clamps on the outside of the box weren't tight enough and me monkeying with the short pig-tail caused a connection inside the box to come loose.

Thankfully I caught it and fixed it before there was any extensive damage.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:52 PM   #6

I guess I'm too trustworthy, I leave my EMS plugged into the campground pedestal.
Marshmellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 02:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post

You have that backwards. Shore power cord would have 2 male ends.
a deadly combination.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 02:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
You have that backwards. Shore power cord would have 2 male ends.
a deadly combination.
Ya, it needs to be a male pigtail out of the junction box. To plug into the female end of a normal, store bought shore power cord, the male end of which plugs into shore power outlet at post, or generator.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 02:54 PM   #9

Cavie and Camper-bob have it right. The supply end of all eletrical cords are male and the load end female. Think about it for a second whether it's a lamp at home or a 50 amp shore cord the blades, the male end plugs into the wall socket or the pedestal. The mod you describe would leave a hot male end with its exposed blades out in the open. Sooner or later someone is going to become a field of resistance. I do like the idea of plugging into the already secured surge protector. It's a neat tidy and simpler arrangement.
Feeds Four
Sleeps Two
Mahatnmacoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 04:06 PM   #10

I have been thinking about this mod as well. Dragging the tangled cord in and out of the bottom of the compartment hole is driving me nuts. I spent some time researching this mod but kept finding reviews with unhappy folks complaining of how cheap the parts were made and felt that the connections were not secure enough. There did not seem to be many brands to choose from that didn't look like Chinese junk. Anyone very pleased and have a link to the parts that they recommend.
Old 08-25-2020, 08:25 PM   #11

This mod was discussed here on the JOF several years ago and I thought it was a great idea. Someone mentioned at that time in one of the posts, and I don't have any further information to go on, that we should be cautious of heat generated by the EMS in a closed compartment. I have no idea if this is true or not, nor have I tested the theory, but I thought I would just throw this out to the group as an FYI.

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love To Travel 2 View Post
This mod was discussed here on the JOF several years ago and I thought it was a great idea. Someone mentioned at that time in one of the posts, and I don't have any further information to go on, that we should be cautious of heat generated by the EMS in a closed compartment. I have no idea if this is true or not, nor have I tested the theory, but I thought I would just throw this out to the group as an FYI.
There is no heat generated by an EMS.

Old 08-25-2020, 09:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
I have been thinking about this mod as well. Dragging the tangled cord in and out of the bottom of the compartment hole is driving me nuts. I spent some time researching this mod but kept finding reviews with unhappy folks complaining of how cheap the parts were made and felt that the connections were not secure enough. There did not seem to be many brands to choose from that didn't look like Chinese junk. Anyone very pleased and have a link to the parts that they recommend.
There in lies the problem. I can't not find a non-Chinese plug replacement.

Old 08-25-2020, 09:45 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
I have been thinking about this mod as well. Dragging the tangled cord in and out of the bottom of the compartment hole is driving me nuts. I spent some time researching this mod but kept finding reviews with unhappy folks complaining of how cheap the parts were made and felt that the connections were not secure enough.
I'm not a fan of adding another connector that can screw up or short out. Here's a trick I use, and it's made it easier.

I don't try and feed the cable coiled directly from the compartment through the mouse hole. I pull the cable straight out the door and to the pedestal, to see the length I need. Once I have it stretched out straight, I take the plug back to the mouse hole, and feed the cable straight down through, no fighting of the coils, it's a straight pull.

Then, to bring it back in, I pull all the slack out back through the mouse hole and place the cable on the ground. Then I stretch the cable back out on the ground and go back to the compartment and coil the cable back inside. This eliminates pulling back up through the mouse hole and coiling at the same time. That sucks.

No more fighting the curve of the coils or smacking the knuckles.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:33 AM   #15

I second that, i just pull entire cable out and then feed what is needed thru PITA hole, the i lock my ems up with pad lock and cable to keep the honest people away. Most of the time we dry camp thus so elimnating much use of surge protection.
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 03:34 PM   #16

I did this mod a couple of years ago. Still no issues, and works like a charm.
JDPEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 05:24 PM   #17

SmartPlug

On Amazon:
SmartPlug B30ASSYPW Combo Kit with Female Connector and Non-Metallic Inlet.
Not cheap, but safe, secure, and...really convenient. (EMS is hardwired)
Attached Thumbnails
Power Cord Mod.jpg  
DaSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:59 PM   #18

I thought about doing what was mentioned by the OP but opted to install a permanent unit in the power cord storage area with an external monitor and in the process added connections for a detachable power cable to connect from shore power to the RV. I wanted to have the monitor visible where it can be easily seen (versus hidden away in the power cord storage area).

I did purchase 30 amp male and female connectors to have just in case there was a problem with the EMS unit. If the unit for some reason fails I can detach the line/load cables from the EMS and connect to the male/female connectors to restore power. I still have the pole EMS to use if that situation should arise.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote