Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-24-2018, 10:57 AM   #1

Question about wiring batteries correctly

Hello All. Just want to check on how to wire 2, 12 volt batteries in parallel, connected to a battery monitor (shunt). I just bought 2 flooded lead acid batteries and I have a Victron battery monitor. My question is, how to wire everything correctly. I'm not sure about the negative wires going to the shunt. When I wire the 2 batteries, does the negative cable connecting the 2 batteries go directly from the negative posts on the each of the 2 batteries or does one negative cable end go to the negative load on the shunt. Then, the negative connection from battery to battery would be accomplished by the negative cable going from the shunt to the opposite battery's negative post. Hope i was clear enough about this - difficult to explain!
jdux999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdux999 View Post
Hello All. Just want to check on how to wire 2, 12 volt batteries in parallel, connected to a battery monitor (shunt). I just bought 2 flooded lead acid batteries and I have a Victron battery monitor. My question is, how to wire everything correctly. I'm not sure about the negative wires going to the shunt. When I wire the 2 batteries, does the negative cable connecting the 2 batteries go directly from the negative posts on the each of the 2 batteries or does one negative cable end go to the negative load on the shunt. Then, the negative connection from battery to battery would be accomplished by the negative cable going from the shunt to the opposite battery's negative post. Hope i was clear enough about this - difficult to explain!
The shunt goes between the negative battery terminal and the frame ground connection. There is a GREAT post on doing just this and putting the shunt in a plastic 4x4 electrical box with blank cover. One thing to remember is to use a large enough cable (AWG) to cover all your needs. Also the shunt should be capable of handling the AMPS if you install an inverter.

Below is a diagram on how to wire in the 2 parallel 12volt batteries. All the loads will be on the positive battery cable that connects to the TT, and all the ground connections go to the negative terminal that goes to the frame ground.

Here is the post I mentioned.. scroll down to post #61 for the picture.
The diagram below shows where you can install the battery disconnect switch and or the shunt.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Images

Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 06:13 PM   #3

Thanks Mustang65. Your answers are always spot on.
jdux999 is offline   Reply With Quote