Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2014, 11:26 AM   #1

Question for precept owners

We're curious if anyone who owns a Precept 31UL has an opinion about the lack of opening windows (of any real size and provided ventilation)? I know with the frameless glass they have had to revise how windows function and all, but even the couch window is split in half instead of being full-sized to allow more air-flow - and oddly enough it's an emergency exit to boot. I can't see any reason for it to have been split. In any event though it seems a sacrifice was made, not so much in costs, as in esthetics. And in doing so you're pretty much left with either the A/C all the time, or leaving the door open and relying on the driver/pass windows for any real air-flow.

So I'd be interested in hearing from any owners as to what their real-travel experience has been with the Precept window configuration? Thanks much.
gowestwardho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:09 AM   #2

I visited a dealer yesterday and the salesman's response to this same question was related to keeping rain out, aesthetics, and how you are likely to be using shore power to keep the unit cool at night if needed.

I'm not sure this meets our needs as we like the idea of having the outdoor cool air circulating in the MH.

I'm hoping that someone who owns a Precipt UL31 might respond to your original question.
McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:39 AM   #3

I think you will find that is the case with all frameless windows, which is supposed to be the "in" thing.

They use the similar type on both the SENECA and even the ENTEGRA class "A". As was metioned by McGarrett50 alot has to do with being able to open the windows and not worry about rain getting in.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:12 PM   #4

I'm more of the mindset of McGarrett50 in that if I wanted to sit locked inside with the A/C on all the time I would just stay at home (Phoenix - so you get the drift). We prefer some fresh air when we manage to get out from the 110 degree days so I wanted lots of windows that opened. And I like a whole lot of light and "letting the outdoors come inside". But that's just IMO. (The quantity of windows on the larger Forest River FR3 is great but the quality of their build really visibly sucks. That, and the floor plan of the 31UL is dead-on perfect for us.)

Hey McGarrett50, I already contacted Jayco and learned there is nothing in the walls to preclude one from having more windows cut in. I haven't taken the plunge yet on the 31UL but intend to soon and when I do I plan to use the same glass as elsewhere in the rig (for esthetic reasons only as I'd prefer "real" opening windows instead) to add a wide window behind the cooktop, and small ones on both ends of the two living/dining slide-outs (much like in the bedroom) With those I feel it'll pretty much round things out nicely for us.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:39 PM   #5

If there was a screen on the rear bedroom exit window with a different type of latch the airflow in the coach would be greatly improved. Does not seem to be an option and the parts folks at Jayco can't determine if the is a screen some where that might fit...
chuck0799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:05 PM   #6

I agree. When I get my Precept 31UL next season I plan to retrofit that rear bedroom window just like I did on our current Thor TT. It was the same escape window configuration and I wanted to get some cross ventilation over the bed to the window on the opposite side. Plus I liked the idea of being able to have such a large window open even in the rain since it's a awning window (escape hatch).

So I simply got some 1/4 angle aluminum and cut slits so I could bend it (my current window had radius corners) to the same curve. I then used a little 1/4 strip of aluminum and screwed the ends together so I now had a frame that fit tight right in the window frame. I stretched some left-over window sun-shade (regular window screen would do fine, but the sun shade is also dark enough that no one can see into the bedroom) over the angle-aluminum, and then in a flash of Rub Goldberg I used car door-edge molding all around to hold the screen tight in place. Fit and works awesome for 15,000 miles thus far.

Oh!, and I took a piece of wooden dowel, notched it in two places (one end to grab the awning window to pull it back in, and the the other end notched a few inches from the end leaving just enough of a "handle" to sticking into the room to grab onto).

So I open the red latches, push the dowel onto the window frame to open it from the bottom edge, hook it onto the window frame, and you're done. Plenty of air, no one sees inside, no need to get up if it rains, and a simple tug inward pulls the awning back so the red clips grab and lock it. I stash the dowel on top of the valance over the window when closed.

Sorry I don't have a picture to send but if you plan on trying this let me know and I'll post one next time I'm up at the cabin where we store the trailer. In addition to this "hack", I plan to add the 4-5 extra windows to the Precept as well. When I get it that is. :-)
Old 09-15-2014, 08:13 AM   #7

Although it's not about ventilation / windows, I think it's a bit silly to start a fresh thread for every single question. So I post it here:
We intend to buy a Precept 31UL but wondering around the internet we see that some dealers say: sleeps 5 while others say: sleeps 6.
I think this has to do with the size of the hide-away-bed or the dinette bed. Can any of current 31UL owners share the actual sizes of these beds? I can't find them in any specification. Thanks in advance.

Fred.
Chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:54 AM   #8

I would say 2 on the master bed, 2 on the fold-out couch, and depending on their size - either 1 adult or 2 adolescents on the dinette. I think that's where the discrepancy is as a tall adult might need sleep diagonally on the dinette whereas you could get 2 kids sleeping together there too. But the best way for you to know for sure is just go to the Dealer and open the couch and food down the dinettes and both try each out for a while to see for yourselves what it would be like for two people sleeping to sleep in each. Good luck.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:21 AM   #9

The specs for all the 2015 PRECEPTS are on JAYCO's website and the number will vary depending on the options selected. So depending on what the dealer has in stock and the options the number will vary.
;
Old 09-15-2014, 09:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowestwardho View Post
I would say 2 on the master bed, 2 on the fold-out couch, and depending on their size - either 1 adult or 2 adolescents on the dinette. I think that's where the discrepancy is as a tall adult might need sleep diagonally on the dinette whereas you could get 2 kids sleeping together there too. But the best way for you to know for sure is just go to the Dealer and open the couch and food down the dinettes and both try each out for a while to see for yourselves what it would be like for two people sleeping to sleep in each. Good luck.
Being in Europe that's a bit difficult .

Att Grumpy: I have checked but couldn't find it. Will do so again.
In the meantime: anybody with a precpt on the driveway ...... please?
Old 09-15-2014, 09:44 AM   #11

http://m.jayco.com/products/class-a-.../2015-precept/

All of them except the 29 offer the front overhead queen option so that is where the number will increase over the base unit.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:36 PM   #12

I have received pictures from Jayco showing this overhead bunk.
I think it does not look nice. I don't like the bars on the side and it seems that the cabinets above the windshield are gone as well, resulting in a less one-room feeling. (I guess this is poor English )
Old 09-19-2014, 02:34 PM   #13

Chemist - we've had two 6'+ folks on the Couch and two 5'6'' or less on the Dinette. We used 2 air mattress's on the couch to smooth out the sleeping area.
chuck0799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:08 PM   #14

Thanks a lot Chuck
Old 09-25-2014, 05:28 PM   #15

If you've got a couple thousand bucks burning a hole in your pocket you can also spring for the optional drop down bed over the front cab and sleep one more adult
chuckandcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 02:28 AM   #16

I guess the drop down bunk sleeps two but as I said earlier, I don't think it looks nice (personal opinion).
So, I ordered the 31UL yesterday with 4 doors fridge, auto shade for the windshield and Crimson Red.
We are very happy the 2nd A/C and the 5500 W generator is standard now and I guess we will have to sort the sleeping 6 problem when it arises but that will only be in the summer of 2016 as far as we know now.

We will head for the US (and the new Precept) in January so a lot of patience practicing to do before we can enjoy our first RV (after 3 rentals).
Old 09-27-2014, 02:09 PM   #17

Hi Chemist and CONGRATULATIONS on ordering your 31UL
We have the 4 door 12 cu ft fridge, 2nd AC and 5500 Gen. Only thing we don't have that we want to add is the windshield visor & side window shades.
Keep us posted on your progress with the calendar.
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:53 PM   #18

New 29UR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
http://m.jayco.com/products/class-a-.../2015-precept/

All of them except the 29 offer the front overhead queen option so that is where the number will increase over the base unit.
The new 29UR will have the powered overhead queen bunk option for 1995.00 and the U-shaped dinette it will replace the 29UM.
Inkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:02 PM   #19

Isn't the drop down bunk only on Canadian Editions?

The only time I have seen a video showing that drop down bunk over the cab is on Canadian models of the 31 UL. And I've never seen the bunk listed as an option on any literature or brochure in the U.S. For the 31 UL. Does anybody know for sure if it is indeed an option for US delivered units? I'm not too sure I like it but I'd reserve judgement until I've actually seen one in person. It seems to make the cab more claustrophobic and you loose a lot of cabinet storage. BUT!!, it also shows in the video that with the drop down bunk you ALSO appear to get the electric roller window shades for the windshield and side cab windows (highly desirable, BTW). Wonder if Jayco would offer those electric shades as a standalone option w/o the bunk?

Anyway, anyone know why the only YouTube videos showing the bunk on the 2015 model 31UL are from Canadian Dealers???
Old 01-30-2015, 08:57 AM   #20

Gowestwardho, I can't say definitely that US dealers have the drop down bunk available. I think you are correct ... you would loose easy access to the storage areas above the cockpit. We use those storage areas many times a day.....get stuff out, put stuff back, get stuff out, put stuff........
But, having said that, the literature on the 31 UL on display at the KC RV show this month showed the drop down bunk as an option on 31 UL. The 31 UL on display at the show had an electric MCD windshield (night) shade and manual driver & passenger side curtains. The invoice had $442.00 for a price.
Most electric windshield (night) shades can be used as a sun block while driving, allowing the shade to drop only partially. Again, I am not sure of the usability of this application in the 31 UL for sun protection.
I will say, when dropped down the curtains did seem to provide the privacy one would want.
I spoke with my dealer about an after market install and he indicated we could do that. I am still considering the Carefree Shades of Colorado. The ones I am looking at are for driving and sun control, but not privacy.
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote