Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2019, 04:21 AM   #1

Question for Redhawk 22C or 22J owners.

Is it reasonably possible to add a radio w/ CD player to the "entertainment" system? And how much do you think it would cost?

After watching a bunch of You Tube presentations of either the Redhawk SE 22C or Redhawk 22J, it finally dawned on me yesterday, there is no radio. Even my little old Jay Flight 23RB has a real "entertainment" system, albeit not top of the line.

Not worried about the DVD side of things since a small compact DVD player can be plugged into the TV currently.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:30 AM   #2

We have a 2019 jayco 22j with no radio. Dw has not figured out dash unit yet which is tied into coach inside and outside speakers.. Can put radio in compartment over entry door. Not sure if we will do it..
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
We have a 2019 jayco 22j with no radio. Dw has not figured out dash unit yet which is tied into coach inside and outside speakers.. Can put radio in compartment over entry door. Not sure if we will do it..
If the dash radio doubles as the coach radio, then no problem. I wouldn't be interested in adding a coach radio, if the dash radio can be used when in "camp".

My next question will be this, though. When parked, if the dash radio is tied into the coach's speakers, does it switch over to coach batteries, as opposed to using the chassis battery?

Old 06-20-2019, 08:32 AM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
If the dash radio doubles as the coach radio, then no problem. I wouldn't be interested in adding a coach radio, if the dash radio can be used when in "camp".

My next question will be this, though. When parked, if the dash radio is tied into the coach's speakers, does it switch over to coach batteries, as opposed to using the chassis battery?
That's how the radio in my dash works. Runs on chassis battery when engine is running, switches to coach battery when parked.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:26 AM   #5

The 2019 jayco class c, when plugged into shore power or running on gen. Charges both the coach and engine batt. I keep our coach plugged in to house all winter, just check batt. Cells for water monthly.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:08 PM   #6

There's a radio. Keep in mind, it is not, by any means, top of the line. You can play cd's, dvd's, and tv on the speakers in the unit. And of course, terrestrial radio and bluetooth. You have 6 speakers- two in the door and two in the ceiling. If you hit a switch, the ceiling stay on and then the outside come on.

If you can understand that it is a ~$200 radio and understand that it has limitations, it is somewhat usable. I ultimately swapped mine out as I wanted a better sounding radio.

I've made a little video explaining it. If you have questions, let me know and I will help. I actually still have this radio on my desk, so if you have specific questions, I can make a video.

https://youtu.be/kzlrUY3IBSM
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:11 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
The 2019 jayco class c, when plugged into shore power or running on gen. Charges both the coach and engine batt. I keep our coach plugged in to house all winter, just check batt. Cells for water monthly.
I believe that's incorrect, at least on my unit.

The only time BOTH batteries are charging is when the engine is running. Once you switch to generator or shore power, only the coach batteries get charged.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeek View Post
There's a radio. Keep in mind, it is not, by any means, top of the line. You can play cd's, dvd's, and tv on the speakers in the unit. And of course, terrestrial radio and bluetooth. You have 6 speakers- two in the door and two in the ceiling. If you hit a switch, the ceiling stay on and then the outside come on.

If you can understand that it is a ~$200 radio and understand that it has limitations, it is somewhat usable. I ultimately swapped mine out as I wanted a better sounding radio.

I've made a little video explaining it. If you have questions, let me know and I will help. I actually still have this radio on my desk, so if you have specific questions, I can make a video.

https://youtu.be/kzlrUY3IBSM
There isn't a radio back in the coach area, only on the dash, in the one we're speaking about. We're talking about the Jayco Redhawk 22J (built on a Ford E series cut away van body), and Redhawk 22C (built on a Chevy cut away van body).

The 22J on the Ford chassis does come with relatively upscale radio in the dash. The Chevy chassis 22C does not even have a radio that has a message center in it.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:58 PM   #9

Quote:
There isn't a radio back in the coach area, only on the dash, in the one we're speaking about. We're talking about the Jayco Redhawk 22J (built on a Ford E series cut away van body), and Redhawk 22C (built on a Chevy cut away van body).

The 22J on the Ford chassis does come with relatively upscale radio in the dash. The Chevy chassis 22C does not even have a radio that has a message center in it.
I have a 22J. The in-dash radio plays in the coach. There are speakers on the ceiling. I am not sure where else you'd want a radio installed?
Old 06-21-2019, 03:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeek View Post
I have a 22J. The in-dash radio plays in the coach. There are speakers on the ceiling. I am not sure where else you'd want a radio installed?
Most coaches I've seen have a second radio in the coach area, in addition to the one in the dash. When I realized there was no in the coach, I asked the original question.

Now that an owner of a 22J said the one in the dash doubled as one in the coach area, there is no problem, and no concern about not actually having one in the coach area.

Old 06-21-2019, 04:13 AM   #11

Huh, interesting. I didn't see that in any of the class C's I looked at. Can you share a brand of class C that does that? Thanks!
Old 06-21-2019, 04:21 AM   #12

not true per jayco on the 2019
Old 06-21-2019, 04:23 AM   #13

thanks my dw is trying to figure it out. I have a mental block when it comes to electronics.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:34 AM   #14

dw has a copy of video and will set our unit up....thanks....
Old 06-21-2019, 09:02 AM   #15
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Most coaches I've seen have a second radio in the coach area, in addition to the one in the dash. When I realized there was no in the coach, I asked the original question.

Now that an owner of a 22J said the one in the dash doubled as one in the coach area, there is no problem, and no concern about not actually having one in the coach area.
My coach (which is only a little bit bigger) only has the dash system. But, it also came with a remote control and I also have speakers in the ceiling. So, I have no issues when back in the coach. The music plays back there, and I can change channels or volume with the remote while standing back at the bathroom, so I see no reason to have a second radio.