Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-13-2017, 08:14 PM   #1

question keeping batteries charged

Hi I just wanted to know how others keep their coach battery charged when not used. I keep mine plugged in to my house outlet with a heavy duty extension cord. I had heard that you should not use a trickle charger on the coach battery unless it is removed from the rig. Why can't I use the trickle charger on the battery in the rv? I won't be in there to be exposed to potential gases. Boat owners do this. I have taken care of my battery and I want to get maximum use from it. ThX
Chris H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:41 PM   #2

I keep a Battery Tender on mine whenever it's parked. Parasitic draw from the ECU will eventually drain the battery. I plug the Battery Tender into one of the power outlets on the dash using this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Battery Tender

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No need to remove the battery from the MH.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H. View Post
Hi I just wanted to know how others keep their coach battery charged when not used. I keep mine plugged in to my house outlet with a heavy duty extension cord. I had heard that you should not use a trickle charger on the coach battery unless it is removed from the rig. Why can't I use the trickle charger on the battery in the rv? I won't be in there to be exposed to potential gases. Boat owners do this. I have taken care of my battery and I want to get maximum use from it. ThX
Since mine is in storage I trip the battery disconnect so the house battery is "disconnected". I then remove the negative terminal of the main battery. Worked like a charm for the 5 months of winter storage in a storage lot.

When it was at my house I had the RV plugged into a 15 amp house outlet and then had a battery tender attached to the engine battery (through an outlet in the RV cable storage area). Also worked like a charm...

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Prior 2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS
jlechmanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:57 AM   #4

question keeping batteries charged

This is an interesting question. I was under the impression that the converter charged both sets of batteries when plugged into shore power. Then when unplugged the battery isolation module breaks the link between the coach and chassis batteries to prevent pulling the chassis batteries down. Further I thought when the chassis was running it would reconnect the link and both battery banks would charge. What I am hearing from this conversation is that only the coach batteries are charged on shore power. I will need to dig into this to prevent the loss of the chassis batteries over this winter. I keep the unit plugged into 20 amp outlet and if needed can drop a trickle charger on the chassis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:11 AM   #5

You are correct in that some MHs charge both the house and the chassis battery. The OP doesn't list the MH model so I mentioned what I have to do to my rig.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlechmanik View Post
Since mine is in storage I trip the battery disconnect so the house battery is "disconnected". I then remove the negative terminal of the main battery. Worked like a charm for the 5 months of winter storage in a storage lot.

When it was at my house I had the RV plugged into a 15 amp house outlet and then had a battery tender attached to the engine battery (through an outlet in the RV cable storage area). Also worked like a charm...

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
+1
hussieskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:24 PM   #7

Thanks for the suggestions, I have 2003 greyhawk, my battery disconnect switch is broke, so I dont use it. I would like to change it but am not sure what is all involved with the process. I normally don't have a problem with the chassis battery, it does not drain as fast at the coach battery. I probably should disconnect the negative terminal on the coach since it sits 3-4 weeks sometimes till next use. I dont want to remove the coach battery to charge it in my garage. I have heard that long extended charge from shore house power is not good and you can actually weaken the coach battery. I think there is more to be shared on this link from any battery experts with RV's. Please pass it on. My main concern is the coach battery.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:29 PM   #8

what battery do you use this on chassis or coach?
Old 07-14-2017, 05:07 PM   #9

I have 2 different BatteryMinders connected to my cranking battery and house battery via extension cords. Takes 5 minutes to connect/disconnect.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:35 PM   #10

When stored for extended periods of time, like all winter, I plug the RV into shore power, battery disconnect off (but question if that matters as long as everything else is turned off) and then I connect a battery tender to the chassis battery. I dont disconnect any cables.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote