Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-16-2020, 02:09 AM   #1

question on batteries

i HAVE A 2012 JAYCO REDHAWK 27' want to go with agm batteries will I have to change converters? thank you in advance
dabrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:04 AM   #2

From Lead Acid to AGM?

I'll edit mine comment to say that there's a lot of discussion on whether the different Float Charge value actually affects the batteries.

Personally, I would not bother with a new converter.

But if you're in the middle of some major changes anyway and have the budget - then upgraded the Stock Converter to something from Progressive Dynamics wouldn't hurt. If I had to replace my converter, I'd get one that's Lithium Ready too.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:07 AM   #3

It's going to depend on the model of your converter. I have a Progressive Dynamics converter (PD4060K) and it is compatible with AGM batteries. I verified this by emailing PD.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:50 AM   #4

I have a 2017 GreyHawk 29W and I recently purchased new group 27 AGM batteries from Sam’s Club. I, in the past, installed 2 other batteries on my rear bumper, making it a total of 3 batteries for my coach. I do a lot of dry camping and needed the extra capacity. Having said this, they work exceptionally well with my original converter. All an AGM battery basically is, is a wet cell that has all of the water and acid absorbed into the mats, so that there is no free liquid in the cells. As a result, the cells are sealed so that one does not have to add water, as needed in most regular wet cell units, and corrosion is minimized and almost non-existent. I’m sure there are some other specifications that come along with AGM batteries that I am not aware of, however, for an uncomplicated answer to this question, they work perfectly well with my converter. Hope this helps.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:32 AM   #5
CAG

As Hoppers4 said. It will be fine.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote