Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-30-2018, 05:24 AM   #1

Question on Sirius install on garmin

Has anyone installed a Sirius radio into the Garmin? Looking for specifics on what is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
Has anyone installed a Sirius radio into the Garmin? Looking for specifics on what is needed.

I thought about adding it when I had the dash apart. The hook up looks easy and then you have to run the antenna somewhere. I then thought about getting the Sirius app on my phone since I have unlimited data but read mixed reviews. Right now I am using Pandora which works well.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:51 PM   #3

According to the Garmin/fusion Tech a Sirius kit SXV300V1 will work.
Ordered one from Amazon yesterday. Plugs into the back of the dash mounted unit and you will have to route the antenna to a suitable location.
Hope this helps
Harbour35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:47 PM   #4

Thanks. I will do some research on this.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:18 AM   #5

Addition of Sirius/XM radio

After talking with the Garmin Fusion tech, I ordered the receiver listed above. Cost on Amazon was about $42 including the antenna and wire. The tech had also recommended contacting a good car audio shop for help with installation. Found a good independent on Yelp. He disassembled the entire dash trim without tools, removed 4 bolts holding the radio in place and pulled it out just far enough to reach the "dongle" to plug into (wire w connector). He plugged in the receiver, routed the antenna wire, stuck the antenna in place and buttoned the whole thing up in 20 minutes. Charged me $40. By the time he was done I had finished with setting up with Sirius. Worked just like the factory units in my cars. EXCEPT .... I probably will do some additional antenna tweaking. On the dash at the base of the windshield leaves occasional dead spots depending on your direction of travel.
Mzellers5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:02 AM   #6

Thanks for the information. I will order one of these and install it this spring. Now the biggest issue will be where to locate the antenna. I know that these need line of sight to the southern sky, which if fairly limited anyways so i think i have to get the module on the roof and then figure out the route back to the Garmin. Keep us informed as you move your antenna around in case you come up with a location that works.

Happy trails.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:43 AM   #7
SJD

I made a mount that offsets at the upper part of the mirror on the passenger side. I used a 1” conduit offset with a thin piece of angle iron attached. That lets the magnetic antenna have a holding point. I then routed the antenna wire back thru the door to the radio. The offset gives enough clearance to reach the southern sky. It works great & I do not have to worry about mounting on top of coach. I did not want to penetrate the structure anywhere.
SJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:02 AM   #8

Sirius antenna signal drop-out solved

No matter where I placed my antenna there was drop-out due to the front overhand on my Class C Greyhawk. I purchased from Amazon an antenna cable extension that works also as a signal amplifier. I ran my cable wire down from the radio, under the motorhome and back to refrigerator/heater chamber that takes your cable easily up to the roof. Find a high point on the roof and attach antennna there with a dab of Dicor. So now you have 50 feet of extra cable to place the antenna anywhere you want to and not have to drill any holes, not have to fabricate anything, get that antenna out of sight and get perfect reception. I have mine now for a couple of years and it works no matter what direction you are traveling. https://www.amazon.com/Audiovox-XMEX...able+amplifier
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:06 AM   #9

Thanks. Looks like the way to go and certainly gets rid of the dead spots.

« Solar | CD player »