Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-17-2014, 06:26 AM   #1

Question on Trickle Charger

I have this Schumacher charger that I used on my previous motorhome which had an E450 chassis with one cab battery.

The Seneca Freightliner chassis has two batteries.

Can I use this to maintain two batteries that are in sequence?
If yes, do I just connect the positive to one battery and the negative to the other?
Attached Thumbnails
Schmucher Charger.jpg  

Shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:36 AM   #2

Do you leave the coach plugged in? If you do the converter is designed to charge the coach also. (At least the KODIAK chassis SENECAS were designed that way)

Old 11-17-2014, 11:31 AM   #3

i assume its a diesel, in that case each battery operates separately, one is a house battery and one is a starter battery because diesel engines require higher crank speeds because of high compression ratios, plug it in but check with jayco to see if both batterys charge, best bet is to disconnect leads on each battery and use trickle charger seperately on each battery, this prevents any problem, i usually take my batterys out and store them at home to keep them warm, cold weather really drops capacity, then charge with a trickle charge
walkingeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:51 PM   #4

Yes, it's a diesel.

The coach batteries (six of them) are in one of the storage compartments (second one back on the driver's side). Jayco tells me they are charged when the coach is plugged into AC power.

Jayco says the cab batteries are not charged by the shore power. I'm pretty sure the two cab batteries are in sequence and the starter is 24 volts.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shultz01 View Post

Jayco says the cab batteries are not charged by the shore power. I'm pretty sure the two cab batteries are in sequence and the starter is 24 volts.
I think I would question that comment from whoever you talked to at JAYCO. I can't see them deleting a feature on a $250,000 coach that was on a $156,000 coach. Also your starter is 12 volt, the batteries are in parallel, you need the extra amps to start it.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:15 PM   #6

Thanks. I'll call Jayco again and ask a second time. I did call Freightliner earlier today and confirmed that the batteries are in parallel like you said. I'll let you know what Jayco says the second time around about both the coach and cab batteries being charged when plugged into shore power.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:06 PM   #7

If my batteries are not being charged by the converter, then I don't know what is keeping them charged while my Greyhawk sits in storage. :-)
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:13 PM   #8

I think there's some confusion here. I know my coach batteries are charged when I'm connected to shore power. I'm trying to make certain as to whether the cab (Freightliner) batteries are as well or if I need to put a separate trickle charger on them. In my previous motorhome with an E450 Ford chasis I had to install a trickle charger for the battery in the engine compartment (cab battery).
Old 11-19-2014, 05:35 PM   #9

Final Answer

I called Jayco twice today to double and then triple check after reading Section 6 of the Owner's Manual. The ISOLATOR SOLENOID described in Section 6-5 of the Owner's Manual separates the House batteries from the Chassis batteries when the ignition is off to avoid draining of the Chassis batteries (for obvious reasons). It also monitors the levels and manages the charging of both sets of batteries.

Case closed.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shultz01 View Post
I It also monitors the levels and manages the charging of both sets of batteries.
And it definitely works as advertised.