Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2022, 02:22 PM   #1

Questions after our first towing of a dinghy

Hello all. Still new and getting used to using our new Greyhawk 29mv after pulling TT's for 20 years with a F250. This weekend we took our first short trip towing our new '22 Ranger that I rigged up for our dinghy. I installed Roadmaster base plates, used new RM Falcon 2 "non-binding" tow bar and installed Demco 'stay-in-play' braking system. For this 1st trip towing, we took a short 70+/- mile trip and it was our 2nd trip total. Questions -
- After each leg of the trip, when I got into the Ranger cab to re-engage the transfer case and turn off the Demco, there was a message on the dash panel "check brake system". It immediately went away and showed the next message (re: towing activated or such). I unhooked and later when driving the Ranger no messages showed and it operated normally. I have never had that message under normal operation after installing the Demco so I wouldn't think there was an issue with loss of vacuum or something like that. Having done the installation myself, I have no one to consult with. I have posted the question on the Demco website but no response yet. Also, for the return trip, I slightly adjusted the Demco control box towards "less sensitive" thinking I was making it engage too quickly. But same message again.
- While driving I seemed to be constantly having to correct steering. There was not a strong wind, it was good (for Oklahoma ) pavement but it was stressful. I don't remember having this issue on our first short trip. Does a towed vehicle influence the towing vehicle that way?
- Finally, maybe not a question but an observation - When I was un-hooking after arrival, one leg of the "non-binding" tow bar would not release. We were on level ground and almost perfectly aligned but a little off. I had to release the draw bar to take tension off the tow bar and get it to release. I did execute a U-turn to get back to the park entrance after missing it on the first pass - is it possible to over-extend the tow bar when turning short? How does one know how short a turn you can make? (ok, it is a question )

Maybe it's all in getting used to the transition of TT to MH but the weekend was stressful. Planning a longer trip at the end of the month and if this was all normal at least I won't be surprised.
thanks for input, Richard.
RVandTenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 05:55 PM   #2

Can't address the issue with the Ranger.

In my experience yes, I have to do many more steering corrections when I am towing my LX470 which is probably 1000# heavier than your Ranger. I usually drive at 65 MPH, but during windy conditions I will slow it down to 55 and that reduces the stress a lot.

I also have a non-binding tow bar, but all that means is that it will bind less. Sometimes all it takes to get it to release is getting in the toad and releasing/reengaging the parking brake.
ait109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:04 PM   #3

Thanks for your input. I researched the steering issue and was excited about Roadmaster's steering stabilizer - it proportes to address this issue. Only problem is it is out of stock everywhere i checked. November at least. meanwhile, I agree the reduced speed is best practice.
Old 08-06-2022, 05:52 AM   #4

We flat tow a 2022 Canyon and yes we also experience more steering correction when towing. Will be ordering a SafeT Plus soon.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 04:05 PM   #5

The steering issue can be improved by getting an alignment and increasing the caster. Typically, something in the range of 5 to 6 degrees will improve the "wandering" and constant need for correction. A new bushing will need to be installed, but made a significant difference with my 29MV. The Roadmaster stabilizer also helps, but I think the caster made the bigger difference.

For the tow bar, is the binding taking place at the connection to the base plate, making the hitch pin difficult to remove? If so, this is normal and is caused by the toad pulling on the pin. Most times, turning the toad steering wheel fully left or right will relieve enough pressure to get the pin out.

Don't have any input for the Ranger, but it may be sensing a vacuum when it doesn't think there is supposed to be any. I have the Stay-In-Play as well and have been very happy with it. I typically have the sensitivity set pretty low so it only engages the toad brakes under fairly descent braking.

watchout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 05:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVandTenter View Post
Hello all. ... Questions -
- After each leg of the trip, when I got into the Ranger cab to re-engage the transfer case and turn off the Demco, there was a message on the dash panel "check brake system". It immediately went away and showed the next message (re: towing activated or such)....
thanks for input, Richard.
Hi Richard
I also recently installed a DEMCO 'stay-in-play' braking system in my 2019 Ford Ranger; and I also had the message you mentioned the first time I towed this vehicle. My wife and I were checking out the braking set-up in a large parking lot (she was in the toad and I was driving the RV).

We discovered that we only received this message if we left the Ranger's Ignition button "On" while moving it around to check the Demco braking actions and the hook up. When we we went all the way through to the bottom of the owner's manual checklist, where we shut off the ignition to prepare to drive away, the "check brake system" light does not illuminate.

My guess is that the computer senses that the brake booster is loosing pressure (since the engine isn't running) and flashes the "check brake system" message.

We just got back from a 1,000 mile trip to Michigan, and we had zero trouble with the Ranger, or the Demco unit.
Take care.
Old 08-15-2022, 08:39 AM   #7

Watchout, Thank you for your input. Since the MH is new, would an alignment be covered under warranty? I couldn't get it scheduled into the service department for our short punch list until after our longer trip end of August but if it is a warranty item I should at least register the complaint before the longer trip, right?
The binding of the tow bar kept me from being able to remove one of the pins as you noted. Thank you for the tip - I'll learn more each trip.
Old 08-15-2022, 08:44 AM   #8

Thank you SM (from another scoutmaster). I did push the ignition button a final time to turn off the system. The message appeared as soon as i opened the door upon arrival and then went away. Demco rep also said it was just an advisory to check out all systems after the computer noted activity in the brake system.
Old 08-17-2022, 03:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Thank you SM (from another scoutmaster). I did push the ignition button a final time to turn off the system. The message appeared as soon as i opened the door upon arrival and then went away. Demco rep also said it was just an advisory to check out all systems after the computer noted activity in the brake system.
Huh, well that sounds plausible. Perhaps I / we just haven't noticed that message when we are un-hooking.

Safe Travels!
Old 08-18-2022, 01:09 PM   #10

We flat tow a 2017 Smart for two with Roadmaster base plates I installed myself. Can't even tell it's back there. Great tow car.
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 12:44 PM   #11

Truck Tire Big Rig Alignment

Quote:
Since the MH is new, would an alignment be covered under warranty?
With my Entegra Qwest (Sprinter based Class C Actually Built by Jayco) I had troubles getting the alignment done. La Mesa RV did not have alignment capabilities. Mercedes Dealers did not have an alignment rack that would work with a Class C RV. (I believe the body stuck out too far so the Lasers front to back could not align). In each case they said it was not really necessary. I eventually made an appointment at a big rig place and the man tried to talk me out of the alignment again; as it was not really necessary and a big rig alignment is more money. Mine was about $180. I insisted and sure enough, it did need an alignment in front and it made a huge difference in tire wear and even more in the handling. If your dealer won't cover it I suggest biting the bullet and going the big rig route.
kayakkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 01:17 PM   #12

I would NOT get the MH aligned until the castor is modified. A chassis dealer (Ford, Chevy, etc.) will only align it to specifications. Have the new bushings installed and aligned at a mid-range - heavy duty truck shop. New chassis bushings are not adjustable so installing adjustable bushings will allow castor (in in my case) camber to be adjusted.

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 02:04 PM   #13

alignment

By all means if you need to modify your suspension do that first! I have no direct experience with your chassis. My point was to share that I was discouraged from taking care of the alignment by "professionals" (Mercedes dealers two of them and La Mesa my RV service center) and that in the end finding a place that actually has the equipment to do so was the solution in my case. Best of luck and hope you get her driving on the straight and narrow!
kayakkeith is offline   Reply With Quote