Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-02-2018, 05:57 AM   #41

Yeah if you you go with one a/c unit it is a 15k with heat pump. I am definitely going with 2 11k units if I go with the greyhawk, but now I have been looking at some 2012-2013 Senecas. I really like them, I just have to find one near me that the wife can test drive to see if she can handle one. I own an International 4300 Durastar box truck and the Freightliner chassis and cab are real similar, so I think that I would love it. Just weighing my options, was just trying to decide on something by spring.
Raines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:00 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainSailor View Post
Correct me if I’m wrong, but if it has the one AC unit it is a 15k unit and if you go with two it has two 11k ones, right?
My rig has one 15K unit and it is definitely inadequate.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:08 PM   #43

My Jayco mechanic says that only one a/c compressor is on at any one time in the new Jayco Greyhawks. I had a second a/c added to my 2016 Greyhawk. My two a/c’s can both work at the same time because I have two separate circuits. I plug into a 50amp service with a 30amp pigtail for my main power and plug my second a/c into the 30amp circuit.
Brucewilbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:30 PM   #44

I have a 2018 Greyhawk 31fs.....I also have two ac units. In my opinion the rear a/c is needed. I have tried cooling with just the front unit, and while it will cool a little, it is not nearly as comfortable as having two units.
Randy Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:41 PM   #45

Have 2107 Greyhawk 29MV with dual AC. Live in Orange County, CA and hit parks in the area quite often. When going to areas like Palm Springs, Desert Hot Springs (kind of a clue with "hot" in the name), and various areas in AZ we would have been in trouble with one AC. Several times in these areas the dual AC barely kept up, especially in parks with little cover (few trees).

On the flip side, in cooler areas I sometimes wish I had the fantastic fan in place of the AC in the rear so that it could draw the cool air in. I may undertake installing one alongside the AC to have the best of both worlds.
Andidoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:55 PM   #46

duel AC units

We own a 2017 Grayhawk 29 MV and have the same duel a/c system, which includes a power management system, and it works as described in a previous response. You cannot overload the electrical system as it balances the power usage. We live in north Florida and it gets into the upper 90s to 100s and the duel ac will keep the coach cool, but keep in mind, there is no heat pump in cool/cold weather, you have to rely on the coaches heat system or an auxiliary heater. The alloy wheels are nice, we have them, but the provide no benefit other than appearance.
Jaynole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:02 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raines View Post
Hello, I am currently looking at purchasing a 2018 Greyhawk 31fs and was considering adding the dual 11k a/c units. I am wondering if it is needed and if anyone already has this system that could tell me how much other appliances that can be used while running both a/c as it is still only 30 amp. First post and hopefully many more as my wife and I are looking for our first RV. Thank you. Also on a side note should I opt for alloy rims?
2! For sure.
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:16 PM   #48

Quote:
Hello, I am currently looking at purchasing a 2018 Greyhawk 31fs and was considering adding the dual 11k a/c units. I am wondering if it is needed and if anyone already has this system that could tell me how much other appliances that can be used while running both a/c as it is still only 30 amp. First post and hopefully many more as my wife and I are looking for our first RV. Thank you. Also on a side note should I opt for alloy rims?
Hello; We have a 2017 Greyhawk MV with dual AC. Living in Md, and having traveled in Va during July(HOT), we were able to use both AC (much more efficient cooling), various cabin lites, use a 120v coffee maker W/O any issues. You may find the 2 AC allow a slightly higher temp setting as cooling is more efficient. We also have 12 cubic foot Refrigerator. NO issues to date..wouldn't have 1 unit if totally using in hot Temps! Good Luck..John
cybearnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:38 PM   #49

Quote:
We have 2016 Greyhawk 31FS & Love it. Ours only has the single a/c heat pump. We were told they will only achieve 20 degrees less then outside temps. Fortunately with live in Norteast US. We did experience hot temperatures camping once when outside temps reach 98 degrees. Best it got inside the camper was 77 - 78 degree. Really surprised if it still has 30a 120v plug that ours has. Maybe its a 30a 120/240v plug with a 2nd a/c. You can buy some pretty nice chrome wheel caps today & easily replace them after few years if you desire.
Dace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:08 PM   #50

Thanks for the information everybody. I love this forum. I am confused on the heat situation if I go with 2 a/c units. What us the difference between having the heat pump or not having it? Does the house heat not heat it properly?
Old 01-10-2018, 05:22 PM   #51

Quote:
Thanks for the information everybody. I love this forum. I am confused on the heat situation if I go with 2 a/c units. What us the difference between having the heat pump or not having it? Does the house heat not heat it properly?

You just don’t have the heat pump. The propane heater works just fine. The heat pump is marginal, anyway, if temps really drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:26 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprapim View Post
You just don’t have the heat pump. The propane heater works just fine. The heat pump is marginal, anyway, if temps really drop.

So the house heater is propane only?
Old 01-10-2018, 05:28 PM   #53

Quote:
So the house heater is propane only?

Yes. If you are plugged in, your batteries are not being discharged, but you are you’re using your propane.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:51 PM   #54

Quote:
Yes. If you are plugged in, your batteries are not being discharged, but you are you’re using your propane.

Ok, thank you. I will be camping mainly in warmer temperatures so I definitely will be getting the dual ac units. But can you run the house heater while driving? Or do you just use the cab heater while driving in cooler temperature? Sorry so many questions. I am just trying to understand what I can and can't do with the rig. I would like to use it in cooler temperature and sometimes I might have to drive through some cold weather up here in Indiana to head to warmer weather! Lol.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:54 PM   #55

Quote:
Ok, thank you. I will be camping mainly in warmer temperatures so I definitely will be getting the dual ac units. But can you run the house heater while driving? Or do you just use the cab heater while driving in cooler temperature? Sorry so many questions. I am just trying to understand what I can and can't do with the rig. I would like to use it in cooler temperature and sometimes I might have to drive through some cold weather up here in Indiana to head to warmer weather! Lol.

Yes, you can run the MH heater also while driving if you wish.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:13 PM   #56

If the choice is 1qty. 15k a/c heat pump (which is what I have) or 2qty. 11k a/c’s. I would do the 2qty. a/c’s.
Dace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:16 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace View Post
If the choice is 1qty. 15k a/c heat pump (which is what I have) or 2qty. 11k a/c’s. I would do the 2qty. a/c’s.

I converted my 2017 Jayco 29w to two 1100 BTU Coleman’s. It is the only way to go. I live in AZ and travel all over the US. Two A/C s is the only way to go !!

Old 01-10-2018, 06:38 PM   #58

Ok thanks again! Hopefully we will be ordering our greyhawk fairly soon. I have 3 different quotes. One from Indiana RV Connection, 1 from RVOne, and 1 from my "local dealer" (which is actually 1.5 hrs away) Colerain Indianapolis. RVOne is the cheapest right now but I am going to see if the other 2 dealers will match or come close.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:26 PM   #59

Alloy rims for me turned out to be a bad deal. I found out that tires can not be rotated without breaking the tires down each time and was expensive to do. I changed to steel wheels and Stainless beauty covers from Les Schwab here in WA. Now I can stop in any time and have my tires rotated every 5,000 Miles for free at any location. It was a big learning experience for me and I hope I save somebody that plans on putting lots of miles on the same headache. 2017 29MV
Tugcaptn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:54 PM   #60

Quote:
I live in Arizona, have posted on this before, and have a Grey Hawk 29W (2017). I had to convert my coach to two 11000 BTU A/C units because the single 15000 was absolutely worthless in anything over 85 degrees. I do not have the custom paint. I can run both A/C units, all of my lights, refrigerator and microwave all at once on 30 amps, either on plug in or on generator. Agreed, it is near max, but nonetheless it works absolutely awesome. It cools the coach down to whatever temp we desire. Believe me, and in my opinion, the factory should not just make this an option, but should include it with any coach over 26 feet in length.

No, I would not purchase their alloy rims. They are too expensive and others can be purchased aftermarket for less than $200 each (you need only 4 of them), if you do some homework. I changed mine and bought them at Discount Tire in Arizona.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My coach is a 2017 Greyhawk 31 FK with 2 a/c's. The two 11 k units keep our coach plenty cool and we can run everything while plugged into 30 amp shore power. Note that both a/c units are tied into the same overhead duck work which is great. Happy travels.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Cefpaf is offline   Reply With Quote