Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2020, 08:35 AM   #1

Quieting A Onan 4000

After seven years sitting idle our Onan 4000 has come back to life. Took the carb off and despite the advice of Onan over hauled it. Since no kit is available for it I was very careful. (I've overhauled MANY a carburetor.) Put it back together, changed the oil, air and fuel filters, connected it to a jug of gasoline and POOF! started right up. I applied the service manual preliminary settings, governor and low idle speeds. I don't have a frequency meter but my full load voltage is 121 and no load is 124. I've now put five hours on it changed the oil again and all AC appliances work as new. The air conditioner will just about make ice. The refrigerator works both AC and LPG, microwave, converter, all excellent. When it started the hour meter read 290. Here's the first question. The gen-set is a noisy brute. I'm well aware of the cooling air circulation requirements of the generator so without restricting the enclosure air circulation, is there advice to be had on quieting it down.

I had a local LPG company come out and fill the tank. After I checked all the connections I could find I tested the stove, refrigerator and furnace. All work perfectly. I'll let you know about the water heater next week. Today I'm going to start putting the gasoline tank with its new pump and vent valves back in. Although I keep things pretty tidy I don't let myself start the aggressive cleaning until I at least know what doesn't work. I've done a few and intend to do several more tweaks that please me. I moved the outside grill bracket from eye level as far back as one could get it, down to waist level over the passenger side rear wheel. Thanks to Brian and Melissa I'm building a shoe rack into the forward facing side of the dinning sette and installing a small vacuum cleaner in the in the other side of that space. Built in whole motor home vacuum. We're making ours. I'll let you know when the engine starts.

Oh, the noisy generator. Thanks to all.
Feeds Four
Sleeps Two
Mahatnmacoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:43 AM   #2

I don't have experience with that gen-set but a generic tip. You may want to retitle your post mentioning what the problem is. Not everyone clicks on every thread. Something like Quieting A Onan 4000
Old 05-29-2020, 01:00 PM   #3

Excellent point! Thanks.
Feeds Four
Sleeps Two
Mahatnmacoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:00 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatnmacoat View Post
Excellent point! Thanks.
Changed title.

Site Team
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote