Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2017, 07:03 AM   #1

Radio Screen and DVD player (2 questions)

My husband and I bought a Grayhawk 29ME with my parents. All 4 of us are RV newbies. We typically tent it, so BIG transition. My parents are the first to take it out, and I've been getting text messages all week. Most answers I've googled, or found another thread, these 2 I can't find:

1- Does the radio screen ever turn off? Apparently the screen has stayed lit the entire time.

2- When we put a DVD in, it works perfectly on the screen in the dash, but it's only playing in B&W on the TV.

Thanks!!
enchantedwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:15 PM   #2

I dont have a greyhawk, but if it setup like my seneca in some aspects these might be your answers...

1) The radio can be powered by both the chassis battery OR the house battery. Meaning that the radio will not turn off unless you power it down using the power button on the radio or you turn both the ignition off and the main house off. My house power is on all the time while camping so I always just turn off the power using the power button on the radio itself.

2) My Seneca is not setup this way (I have a dedicated DVD player), however knowing a little bit about TV and what not I may have an idea here...on the back of your TV you prob have the input cables from the dash to the TV. Since it is black and white you most likely have a 5 RCA wire setup going from the dash to the tv but not all of them hooked up. Red and White is for audio, and then in the same bundle but more than likely together themselves is another red, blue and a green for the video. Those need to go into the corresponding colors on the TV. If the TV does not have that hookup, Jayco may have just used a composite input instead (yellow female RCA on back of TV). If it is plugged into a yellow one, you will only use one of the three video cables and it HAS to be the green one for it to work this way. Best option is to have them take a picture of the connections on the back of the TV and post it here. However another greyhawk owner could chime in before all this happens and just tell you what his/her setup is and you will be set.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by enchantedwon View Post
My husband and I bought a Grayhawk 29ME with my parents. All 4 of us are RV newbies. We typically tent it, so BIG transition. My parents are the first to take it out, and I've been getting text messages all week. Most answers I've googled, or found another thread, these 2 I can't find:

1- Does the radio screen ever turn off? Apparently the screen has stayed lit the entire time.

2- When we put a DVD in, it works perfectly on the screen in the dash, but it's only playing in B&W on the TV.

Thanks!!

Good answers below but I'll add that it'll help if we also know the model radio you have.

Getting color on the dash but not on the TV is usually loose cabling. But some TVs have a setting that could do that too. So it'll help to know the specific TV model number too.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:50 PM   #4

If it's like my GrayHawk 2017FK you have to push the on off switch and hold it in for a few moments or it will turn back on. Drove me crazy till I figured it out.

SSGCharlie
SSGCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 04:53 AM   #5

New to this forum and my first post. I've been lurking for a couple of months . A lot of good info here. We are new to the motorhome world too but not RVing. In the passed 40 years we've had truck campers, TTs and 5th.wheels. It took us all afternoon to figure out the black and white TV thing when playing a video. To shut off the infotainment center do what SSGCharlie said,push and hold the power button.It is not in any manual we have with our 2017 Greyhawk 30 X. The TV has to be in AV mode. Hopefully your's is the same as ours. Good Luck
yesmar74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dvd, grayhawk, radio