Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-23-2020, 09:18 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
CPAP into the UPS and keep the UPS plugged in?
Yeah that'd work.

I don't know the power draw of a CPAP but I suspect it's pretty sizable.
That'd mean you need a pretty big UPS to avoid an annoying beep.
Unless you'd want to be alarmed when the power went out.
Yeah, that power usage is one thing that's giving me pause on that idea. I would have to look into exactly how many ah those UPS have compared to how much our CPAPs use.

I'm thinking of just going with my original plan of installing a small solar setup and upgrading the battery bank. We don't boondock with NO power very often at all. Mostly when we're boondocking it's hotter than blazes, so we're running the generator to keep the AC on. It's pretty rare that we ever DON'T run the genny. And this is typically only if we're on our way somewhere doing a parking lot sleepover if the weather happens to be mild enough to not need the AC (very rare for us).

So I figure if I install a small solar setup, and upgrade my battery bank, I'll get the benefit of my batteries (all of them, including the chassis battery) getting at least a trickle charge all the time so I don't have to worry about long-term storage. That's my primary goal with this. The added benefit (due to the additional battery capacity) will be that we can boondock without the generator for one or two nights if we want to, run our CPAPs and not deplete the batteries too much. For those overnight stops, we're typically not running anything else in the rig (no TV, few lights, limited water pump usage, etc).

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 12:08 PM   #22

My CPAP runs on 12v. I run it all night on an Odyssey P545, 13 AH battery. During the day I charge it up with a 25w solar panel and a cheap charge controller. Works.
springcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:31 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by springcanyon View Post
My CPAP runs on 12v. I run it all night on an Odyssey P545, 13 AH battery. During the day I charge it up with a 25w solar panel and a cheap charge controller. Works.
Just curious, are you running a humidifier on your CPAP on those nights?

I think 13ah is about what most of those UPS batteries are...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:07 AM   #24
Lost in the Woods

OK, question for you guys who have pre-installed inverters in your rigs. My rig didn't come with one, and I'm considering adding it and a few outlets.

I think I know the answer but, do the outlets that are wired to the inverter ALWAYS run off the inverter and 12v system, no matter the power source (if you're plugged into shore power or running the generator)? That is, if you want the TV to work, the inverter has to be on, pulling from the batteries, even when plugged into shore power? Or, is there some sort of transfer switch, that sends shore power through the converter to those specific outlets, bypassing the inverter?

I'm assuming they feed all the time from the inverter, and the batteries just get recharged when the rig is plugged into shore power or genny is running. Correct?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:50 AM   #25

My inverter does run its output through a separate switch that routes either shore/generator power or inverter power to the outlets. The little black box in the picture that is plugged into the inverter is the automatic switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Under Bed Wiring 2b.jpg  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:09 AM   #26

No, I do not use the humidifier. That probably does make a difference. I have never used the humidifier; just don't like dealing with water, etc.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:20 AM   #27

Hi Jim, do you mind answering a question? I am currently putting together a "solar generator." I'm using a 100 ah, Battle Born, LiFePo4 battery, 2000 w inverter, and 20 amp charge controller. Mostly I want to power my Dish receiver and TV. Initially I thought I could just plug my shore line into the "solar generator" and power the receiver and tv that way; being careful not to power other items in the Jayco. I have a feeling that that technique wouldn't be practical. Perhaps I could determine a way to only power the 120v outlets in the Jayco. Sounds like you might have the experience to point me in the right direction. Thanks, Don Owens
Old 01-30-2020, 04:58 PM   #28
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
My inverter does run its output through a separate switch that routes either shore/generator power or inverter power to the outlets. The little black box in the picture that is plugged into the inverter is the automatic switch.
So, does one of those black wires on the bottom come from the converter/panel, and the other one then go out to the outlets, and the switch decides which source wins? Is the circuit protected by a breaker in your main panel?

I couldn't read the label on that automatic switch, who makes it?

Also, what's the wattage of your inverter? Full sine wave or modified?
Old 01-31-2020, 05:49 PM   #29

As I type this I am in my motor home in the desert using the inverter to watch Direct TV. My voltage/current monitor shows I am pulling 7.2 amps with the voltage at 12.5 volts. Granted the sun is not directly overhead right now but my 200 watts of solar just doesn't seem to be keeping up as it should. Looks like I am going to do some troubleshooting of my solar set up. It is almost as if only 1 panel is putting out. Oh well, I like a challenge.

My inverter is a Magnum Dimensions 1000 watt pure sine wave that came stock in my Greyhawk. One of the 15 amp breakers in my panel is labelled inverter. My electronics are buried under the bed and I can't get to them right now but I can say that there will be one line feeding the switch from the inverter and 2 going out. The 2 going out (per se) will have one connected to the outlets powered by the inverter and the other will be connected to shore power. When shore power is present it will be routed to the other output line automatically. I don't know which feed, the inverter or shore power, takes over if both are present. I have had both on when switching over but quit doing that as the GFCI on the inverter would trip once in awhile from a surge when switching over.

The reason I know how the switch works is that I actually built a couple of transfer switches for my 2 sons inverter setup. It was just a J box with a duplex plug on it plus 2 power cords coming out of it. Inside of the J box I installed a relay that would energize when power came in on one of the power cords. When the relay energized it would route power from that cord to the duplex plug. If no power was on that line the relay would not be energized and would route power from the other power cord to the plug.

I know it sounds a bit involved but it wasn't. They would plug one line into their inverter, the other line into their standard 120 volt outlet, and then plug the TV and components into the receptacle. Being an electronic tech makes me eat this stuff up. I love creating things like this.

I did a quick search on Amazon and saw an inverter switch that would probably do what you want.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:55 PM   #30
Lost in the Woods

Jim, thanks for all that info. It definitely helps me formulate a plan. Since I don't have an inverter or any wiring, I'm starting from scratch on how to set it all up. That transfer switch looks like a good possibility.

First blush, from the inverter, I'm thinking of powering the outlet behind the main TV and put in a convenience outlet in the kitchen area (for the coffee maker). Also maybe powering the outlet behind the bedroom TV. Plus, I'd need to power a satellite system and converter boxes from the inverter too. But, I don't have the satellite system yet either, so that needs to be figured out. Always a project...

So, I'll have to ring out the circuits from the main panel to see which breakers feed both TVs and either feed the outlet in the kitchen, or just add another.

So far, we've camped in areas with electric, so we haven't boondocked yet (have to gradually adapt wifey to it), but we might in the future, and won't be able to run the genny all night. Having the inverter system will be a good backup.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:00 AM   #31

I just connected a wire to an outlet that was already hooked up to the inverter and ran it to a new outlet I installed closer to where I needed one. Works fine.
2018 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29 MVP, 400Watt Solar (2)12V, 170ah Lithium "Big Batteries", Surge Protector RVi3 Tow System, TPMS, Real Gauge trip & engine code monitor, RoadMaster Steering Stabilizer, Tailgater Sat antenna, Wingard Connect 2 wifi-LTE roof mounted antenna, Soft-Start on ACs, Xantrex 2000 Watt Inverter
Arkansas
RGD615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:47 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJackSprat View Post
I dont have much experience with electrical work, so thus my question here.
The quick, but unwelcome answer, is - don't.

You say yourself that have little experience, so you would be best advised to swallow your pride and let an electrician do the 110V stuff.

( and, yes, I can hear the keyboards rattling with all the rebuttals, along the lines of "I've done all my own wiring for 50 years and never had a problem and never started a fire yet"... )
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote