Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-09-2018, 07:33 PM   #1

Ready, set NOT go

Just drove home (1 and 1/2 hours) from RV place. They put on our toppers and put our stowmaster and brakes on the toad. Here's the problem. My husband hates how it drives. He was just getting a little bit used to it without the toad but now he really hates it. So now we have a brand new 2018 RV and he says he's not driving it. Hope he'll agree to be the passenger.
Any ideas how to lessen the swaying?
Lanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:49 PM   #2

It could be a number of things. Loaded wrong, tire pressure, front end alignment
Old 02-09-2018, 09:11 PM   #3

Yep.
Check the tire pressure cold and ensure they are inflated to the recommended pressure as noted on the door sticker and have the front end alignment checked and set if needed.
Jayco may pay for an alignment at a shop of your choice if you contact them first.

If he still doesn't like the way it drives we have other recommendations.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:57 AM   #4

What kind of Rv do you have? There are quite a few things you can do to make the ride more stable.Just remember these motorhomes are big heavy boxes going down the road,not like driving a pickup truck.
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:08 AM   #5

Ford ships these E350/E450 Cutaways off the assembly line with +3 to +4 degrees of Caster.
Those settings are OK for city driving BUT you want to have +5 to +6 degrees of Caster
for highway driving, OTHERWISE:
POPULAR MECHANICS MAY 1973:
START QUOTE:
If too little caster exists, the car will wander and weave, thus necessitating constant corrections in steering.
END QUOTE:
There are at least two ways to increase the effective runtime caster (see Self Aligning Torque)
1. Decrease the tire inflation pressure to the required minimum for load (to increase Pneumatic Trail), and or
2. Increase the caster angle during an alignment (to increase caster trail).
If you find an improvement in reducing the tire pressure you will be amazed what it is to
add +2 degrees of caster. IMO.
The specified range of Caster for the E350/E450 is from +1.5 to +7.0 degrees. As you can see
almost any possible setting is "within spec" for the "tweak the toe and you are good to go"
alignment services.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvard View Post
Ford ships these E350/E450 Cutaways off the assembly line with +3 to +4 degrees of Caster.
Those settings are OK for city driving BUT you want to have +5 to +6 degrees of Caster
for highway driving, OTHERWISE:
POPULAR MECHANICS MAY 1973:
START QUOTE:
If too little caster exists, the car will wander and weave, thus necessitating constant corrections in steering.
END QUOTE:
There are at least two ways to increase the effective runtime caster (see Self Aligning Torque)
1. Decrease the tire inflation pressure to the required minimum for load (to increase Pneumatic Trail), and or
2. Increase the caster angle during an alignment (to increase caster trail).
If you find an improvement in reducing the tire pressure you will be amazed what it is to
add +2 degrees of caster. IMO.
The specified range of Caster for the E350/E450 is from +1.5 to +7.0 degrees. As you can see
almost any possible setting is "within spec" for the "tweak the toe and you are good to go"
alignment services.
And have it done at a "good" truck front end shop.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:05 PM   #7

2018 Greyhawk 26Y. Our tire pressure was low. We'll drive it again tomorrow and see if that makes a difference
Lanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
2018 Greyhawk 26Y. Our tire pressure was low. We'll drive it again tomorrow and see if that makes a difference
Front wheels low tire pressure is better from handling point of view then higher ... go by the actual weight on the tire per the tire manufacturer recommendation and not the pressure posted on the door jamb.

Get a proper wheel alignment with the caster set as high as the Ingalls 594 concentric bushings will allow.

E350/E450 Handling Problems are caused by too little + CASTER
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:44 AM   #9

I would say dont give up yet. When I first got my Seneca, I had to drive it 12 hours back home for it maiden voyage. I can tell you it was something to get used to for sure. I have driven large trucks before, but this handled totally different. Now that I have had it out a few dozen times, I feel so much more comfortable with it. I would say that I actually like driving it more than my daily vehicle.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyRoRyan View Post
I would say dont give up yet. When I first got my Seneca, I had to drive it 12 hours back home for it maiden voyage. I can tell you it was something to get used to for sure. I have driven large trucks before, but this handled totally different. Now that I have had it out a few dozen times, I feel so much more comfortable with it. I would say that I actually like driving it more than my daily vehicle.
I would totally agree. Almost had to pry hands from the wheel after 15hour drive. Now, I would rather drive it than one of the cars.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:12 AM   #11

Confidence comes from experience and trust in your equipment. All of the above suggestions are important to build that trust and confidence. Take it slow, have good support from a good dealer/shop/mechanic.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote

« Door strut | 29 mv »