Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-01-2019, 04:39 PM   #1

Ready to upgrade to Class C from Jayco 27RBOK TT

We purchased our first TT, (a 2016 RBOK) in 2017. We were first timers then and have surely enjoyed the journey so far. In a way, we are still new, with only 8 trips so far. But we think we are ready to commit to a Class C (30-footer).

This is a huge purchase for us and would like to hear opinions and recommendations from you more experienced folks out there. Part of our decision involves selling a 2018 Silverado 1500 with barely 12K miles on it, along with the Jayco, the use the proceeds as a DP, and finance the balance.
1. Have any of you guys done this? Any regrets or mistake we should look for?
2. We would also like to bring (pull) our Kia Sportage. Can you safely tow it with a Class C?
3. How would you compare stability on the road in comparison to a TT ? (sway freaks my wife out)
4. Any brands you’d recommend (or not recommend)?

Thanks for any feedback.
Regards!
Old 07-01-2019, 06:35 PM   #2

The one thing we did was rent one first. However, we had never camped before. Still, it might help with your decision making. I looked into a huge number of brands but always came back to a Jayco Redhawk.
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:43 PM   #3

Hello,

We had a TT that we pulled around for just over 10 years. I had wanted to purchase a Class C for some time and finally talked my wife into taking the plunge. Last year we purchased a Jayco Greyhawk 29MVP. We have not regretted it one bit!!! The driving force to switch from a TT to a RV for us was our desire to take some epic trips with our kids before they are too busy for Mom and Dad. Well we just finished a 3500 mile journey and it was so awesome.

As for #2...I really don't know specifics about the Kia but for reference I flat tow a Chevy Colorado and I really don't even know it's there. As for the RV towing the vehicle, pay attention to the towing capacity when shopping around. The numbers change slightly between manufactures and models. In our case the RV we got had the highest towing capacity between the two that we had narrowed it down to.

#3 is easy for me. There is no comparison in my opinion. My TT was a pig to tow. Pretty much white knuckles the entire trip. The new RV definitely has it's moments but so much more enjoyable for me to drive. Plus the only time we stop is when I want to stop. There are things that you can do to improve the handling also. My wife is even willing to drive the RV now where she refused to drive the TT.

#4. Being that you are on the Jayco Forum my guess is everyone is going to recommend Jayco, and I am no different. What I would say is look around at all brands. For us we knew the basic size and floorplan we wanted. That alone narrowed it down to 2 manufactures (in our price range that is). After lots of back and forth we went with the Jayco because of the ride and the fit and finish just seemed a little nicer.

All in all we are very happy with our purchase. Like everyone else we have had to work our way through the warranty issues that have popped up. It can be frustrating for sure. That being said we have loved it so far and are looking to enjoy it for many more years.

Hope that helps.

Rob
Old 07-01-2019, 08:40 PM   #4

We are similar to RobieMo, in that we purchased a 24 foot TT in 2013 that we thoroughly enjoyed. We pulled it with a 2012 GMC Yukon that was rated at 8,250 pounds, so we had no issues with the towing. After 20,000 miles and over 300 nights in the TT, we decided it was time to treat ourselves to something a little newer and nicer, and along came the Jayco 29MV. We agonized for months over brands and layouts and warranties, and narrowed it down to two manufacturers. Bottom line, the Jayco had a better warranty, the shower was bigger, and the dealer was 45 minutes from home.

We needed a toad, so we chose a Chevy Equinox. We really wanted a Honda CRV, but Honda changed their transmissions in 2015 and the CRV automatic is no longer flat towable, so we got the Equinox. The Equinox weighs around 3,300 pounds and is easy to pull. Make sure that the make and model you choose is flat towable. DO NOT rely on the word of the sales staff. Read the owners manual. With the Equinox, the 1.5 engine IS towable, but the 2.0 is NOT. And the FWD is flat towable, but the AWD is NOT. So be 100% sure before you sign on the dotted line. And don't forget about $3,000 in tow bars and lights and braking systems.

As far as driving, to me there is no comparison between a TT and the 29MV. Ours drives and handles wonderfully. If it got too windy, I would have to pull the TT into a rest stop or off at an exit until it died down. Maybe that was just me being a little too careful, but that's the way I am. I'm still careful with the Class C, but the wind doesn't seem to affect it like it did the TT. Getting passed on an Interstate Highway by a semi doing 70+ still requires a firm grip in the Class C, but less than in the TT.

And the nice thing is that with the Class C is that you can go from the cab to the "house" without going outside in the rain. We pulled the TT into a site at a campground just as a thunderstorm hit. We sat in the Yukon for almost an hour until the rain finally slowed enough that we could get into the TT, but we couldn't do much until I felt safe hooking up the shore line. If we would have had the 29MV, we would have left the cab, moved to the back, fired up the generator and had dinner. Not so with the TT we had.

As most of the people on the forum will say, do your research and find the floor plan that you like the best.

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:57 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

I also recommend to rent what you think you want to buy. Spend a weekend in it, it will time and money worth spent.

We looked at everything from TT up to Class A buses, and weighed pros and cons, and tried to figure out exactly what we needed versus wanted. It's only the two of us, and poochie.

Then, we we narrowed it down to approximate size, we rented a 23 foot for 4 days, as a trial to see how it fit the plan.

We ended up with a 24 foot, main reason it was big enough for us inside, but small enough to drive pretty much anywhere without needing to pull a toad.

We like to sightsee and play tourist during the day, then hit the campground in the afternoon. The 24 foot, so far, has been perfect.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:25 AM   #6

2016 Whitehawk you have a lot of very good answers here from other forum.
I would also consider a used Greyhawk a couple of years old. Last year we sold our 45’ Bus and two months later found a 2016 Greyhawk 29 MV with only 4434 miles on it and in new condition. Our thought was this was perfect for local trips to places we couldn’t fit with our previous large Motorhomes. I’ve made several important upgrades since our purchase with the thought of a longer journey. I didn’t think my little gas Jayco would travel well out west but boy was I wrong.
We just completed a 3 month 7,000 mile journey from Florida to California without missing a beat.
After owning two Class A Diesel Pushers I’m now convinced that this little charmer is a perfect go anywhere coach.
Many forum members have helped me with upgrade ideas and they are the best.
Good luck in your search and keep asking questions. This is a great forum. Jimmyd
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 05:23 AM   #7

2019 jayco red hawk class c 22j

we went from tt to class c after trailering for 6 yrs. for us the 22j is perfect, both retired and just the 2 of us. no unit will be a perfect layout. the 22j clothes drawers and closet are not accessible with bedroom slide out in. water filter is be hind drawer not very assessable. we do not tow a toad, unit is small enough to either take the unit site seeing/shopping or rent car from ENTERPRISE. HEY ARE GREAT. for us it works. take your time it is a big$$ purchase...happy travels
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 05:47 AM   #8

RobieMo, what year Colorado do you tow. I have a 2017 with the.V6 and was wondering if I could flat toe it.
Ljnasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljnasa View Post
RobieMo, what year Colorado do you tow. I have a 2017 with the.V6 and was wondering if I could flat toe it.
Ljnasa,

I have a 2016. Its a diesel but I don't think the motor matters. I have a 4x4 which was designed to be flat towed. I am not sure about 2WD (almost positive it can not).
Old 07-07-2019, 09:20 AM   #10

When we converted to a Class C, we were immediately happy with our decision - we could never go back to a travel trailer. And floor plan is everything! Bigger is not necessarily better either. Ours is the perfect size and will go anywhere, from open road to national or state parks, to mountains, and has lots of power to pull a tow vehicle. Be sure you check out storage space - it's an important issue. We've been out for as long as two months without feeling crowded or confined. We are cautious when it's windy, especially with strong gusts (when they're reaching 35+); but in the wind, travel trailers can get pretty scary out there, too. We agree with all of the comments the other forum members have made about why a Class C is a great option.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:23 AM   #11
Site Team

Dad gum it, I'm getting the itch again just reading this thread.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:01 AM   #12

Thanks to all for the replies, input and advice. It is very much appreciated!