Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2018, 07:07 PM   #1

Rear Airbags???

We have a 2019 Redhawk 26XD. Even lightly loaded, the ride quality on the rear suspension seems poor. The Helwigs are adjusted to what I think is correct.

I'm thinking of removing the Helwigs and trying Air Lift or Firestone air bags. Has anyone here done that and if so, what were the results?
MikeUSNRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:55 PM   #2

I considered the air bag option but decided to try the Koni shocks first. They have made a huge improvement and at this point I don't think the air bags will be necessary. We also added heavier sway bars and the trac bar before we installed the Konis. If I didn't have the sway bar/trac bar, I might have tried the air bags first.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeUSNRet View Post
We have a 2019 Redhawk 26XD. Even lightly loaded, the ride quality on the rear suspension seems poor. The Helwigs are adjusted to what I think is correct.

I'm thinking of removing the Helwigs and trying Air Lift or Firestone air bags. Has anyone here done that and if so, what were the results?
Mike...you say the Helwigs are adjusted to what you think are correct. What are they set at? Have you called Helwig for help? Did your Redhawk come with the Jayco JRide? I know it is standard on Greyhawks...wasn't sure about Redhawks.

I would try different settings on the Helwigs first. Airbags are nice but if they change the ride height in the rear can destabilize the suspension causing control issues. Think bouncy suspension...not good for control.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:11 AM   #4

The Redhawk comes with a lesser version of j ride. Has the helper springs but standard ford sway bars and shocks. I have installed Helwig front and rear sway bars and had the front-end aligned/caster bushings installed. Next will be Bilsten or Koni shocks.

I am basing my spring adjustment on advice from the owner of the shop that did my alignment. They are very familiar with these and the owner actually has one. The spring adjustment turns out to be identical to the way it came from jayco.

My thinking is that a slight increase in ride height would be a good thing since it would increase suspension travel. As it sits, the springs are completely searched.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:48 AM   #5

Correction. My last post should have said "the springs are completely De-arched". Auto correct strikes me again.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeUSNRet View Post

I installed Firestone air bags and didn't like some of the mounting, so returned them and bought Air Lift 7500 and so far like them. Was majorly disappointed in the Firestones.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
I installed Firestone air bags and didn't like some of the mounting, so returned them and bought Air Lift 7500 and so far like them. Was majorly disappointed in the Firestones.
I've found both companies make good products but the mounting really varies between them. On my F-250 the Firestone's mounted very easily. On my Ram the Firestone mounting was terrible and I returned them and got the AirLift ones. The AirLift installed in just a few minutes.

I appreciate the feedback on which one worked best in case I decide to install them later.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:11 PM   #8

Thanks to all who replied. I am leaning towards the Air Lift bags. Plan to try the bags and if I get the desired results will add a compressor later. Will post the results for info.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:11 PM   #9

I’m no expert on the motorhomes but been around my fair share of suspension systems. Airbags will help carry the load but shocks control the movement. I would suggest better shocks, Bilsteins or Koni, before airbags.

Gone but not forgotten:
Harvey – *SOLD* 2018 Eagle HT TT 314BHDS
Big D - 2002 F250 XLT CCSB 7.3L Power Stroke (semi-retired)
NorCal Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:33 AM   #10

Thanks Peter, You are right. Shocks are on my short list. Still plan to try the bags though as I plan to tow my 18' open car trailer with this thing. Loaded tongue weight will be 500 - 600 lbs which will put me right at rear axle max gross weight rating.