Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-21-2021, 07:16 PM   #1

Rear Camera

I have a 2009 Greyhawk 31GS. Looking to replace the rear camera, however it appears that the current camera has a hot lead that is triggered by placing the vehicle in reverse. I would like to have it hot or live at all times if needed. Any suggestions on where to get 12v continuous power.

Thank You
Tobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobster View Post
I have a 2009 Greyhawk 31GS. Looking to replace the rear camera, however it appears that the current camera has a hot lead that is triggered by placing the vehicle in reverse. I would like to have it hot or live at all times if needed. Any suggestions on where to get 12v continuous power.

Thank You
If you have a close marker light you could tap that, but that also means you need to have your markers on for the camera to work…. This is actually how the new Furrion S Vision rear cams are wired.
Furrion Vision S 7” Rear and Side View Cameras
2021JayFlight28BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:14 PM   #3

Check the menu on the screen, some have a way to turn it on manually. Our 2008 SENECA had that option.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:25 PM   #4

I plan on tapping into the 12V+ switched to the ignition on the 7 pin socket by the hitch receiver to power my rear camera. That's the one that charges your trailer battery when towing.
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 03:00 PM   #5

Thank you all for your answers. I had to replace my radio and I can not seem to find the correct wire to supply the video from my original camera to my new radio. to ease my frustrations I thought Id just put on a wireless camera. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Tobster
Tobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Thank you all for your answers. I had to replace my radio and I can not seem to find the correct wire to supply the video from my original camera to my new radio. to ease my frustrations I thought Id just put on a wireless camera. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Tobster
Make sure you check the range of the wireless camera reception. You have a long coach.
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 03:36 PM   #7

My 2005 Grayhawk 31 SS has a rear window which I have been thinking of mounting a wireless camera inside the window facing rearview. That way, I suspect, the wireless signal will be stronger to reach the monitor up front.

I want to update the system since I have a black and white image now.
Steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 05:46 PM   #8
CAG

Quote:

Thank You
Depends upon which head unit you have if any. If you have a head unit that switches between cameras depending upon which gear you are in, or turn signal is on, there should also be a touch button labeled "camera" if you touch that the rear camera will come up and stay on the screen. If not, I replaced mine when it started acting up, with a Kenwood that will do that but better yet I put a Bluetooth dash camera in the rear window, connected it via Bluetooth to an old Iphone I was not using any longer and mounted it on the console next to me. That allows me to have the GPS map up on the Kenwood screen and the back camera on the iphone.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 05:48 PM   #9
CAG

Quote:

Tobster

The camera wires run to a switcher at the back of the head unit. I would have to dig for the schematic for that unit but if you need it send me a PM and I will run it down.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 04:42 AM   #10

I tapped into the 12v power to the TV antenna amplifier. Since this lead is hot all the time, I also added a lighted toggle switch to control the power to the camera. I just mounted the switch on a low voltage plate in the ceiling, works great.
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 11:13 AM   #11

I just received RVS Safety camera system to mount in my "new to me" 2009/26A
A really good system and I went for wired because the last thing I want is an iffy signal dropping off as I reverse on the edge of the Grand Canyon for that perfect selfie. YES it is a bit pricey, but I wouldn't buy a parachute a the Dollar Store either. Their system is unbelievably easy to wire up for most folks, even me
NoImMad is offline   Reply With Quote