Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-18-2023, 02:22 AM   #1

Rear camera HELP!

I have a 2019 Redhawk 25R. It has a rear camera built into a 3td break light. On our trip, this weekend, it started to flicker and went completely out, “no signal” on the screen. Has anyone had this happen, and if so what was the outcome? Loose or broken connection or camera failure?

I’m trying to cut down on my trouble shooting, we are going home tomorrow and have a quick turnaround in 3 days for a destination wedding. . I found an exact replacement on Amazon for $76 but I’m hesitant to order incase it’s something else.

Any help appreciated

JN
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 05:24 AM   #2

Loose antenna?
Ours did the same thing and the antenna was loose. Actually busted but we splinted it with dict tape and that has worked for 4000 miles.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 06:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
Loose antenna?
Ours did the same thing and the antenna was loose. Actually busted but we splinted it with dict tape and that has worked for 4000 miles.
Thanks for your reply Kim, but This is a hard wired camera system built into our rear 3dr brake light. It’s been working without issues since our rig was new.
Old 03-18-2023, 09:25 AM   #4

It is almost impossible to know without testing. Because it was flickering prior to going out that would indicate a higher likelihood of a bad connection. However, the bad connection could certainly still be internal to the camera.

Without having another camera to test with already, what I would likely do is check the camera's connector first by just disconnecting and reconnecting it at the camera (or it's connecter near the camera on a pigtail). While I was there, I would check for power at the connector. If it had power and still no video on the display, I would ask my partner to watch the display, have it set for the rear camera and then tap on the camera. If the tapping directly on the camera allowed for an image or even flickering I would feel confident that a replacement camera is needed. If that test didn't reveal anything and you have power to the camera, I likely would still replace the camera first primarily because checking the wiring from the camera to the display and in particular behind the dash is not easy to do (very hard to get to the cable and connectors). One other thought is that it is also possible that the display unit itself is the problem, so it is hard to know.

As another quick thought, if tapping the camera didn't make any difference, I would try to reach behind the dash from underneath the area around the steering column and gently move the bundle of wires back and forth a little and from different locations and see if the flickering starts again. If the display did flicker or an image appeared while doing that, then the issue would be more likely a loose or poor connection in that area.

FYI, On mine, the camera cable runs along the frame in a loom from the back of the RV and then up into the rear of the cab on the drivers side and continues underneath the drivers door sill and into the side panel next to the parking brake, out from there to above (or under... don't remember) the steering column, into a splitter box, and then to the radio (display). I would also be suspecting the splitter box itself. I am not sure why mine even has a splitter box, but it is setup for a 3 camera system (left blinker, right blinker, and rear camera) however I only have a rear camera.

Which camera on amazon is a match for yours? (link perhaps)

~CA
Old 03-18-2023, 09:33 AM   #5
CAG

The rear camera is notorious for failing and there are a number of issues that start behind the dash at the "switch" and can then be a pinched wire, sometimes at the emergency brake but can be the camera itself and that would be the first place I started before tearing into the dash wiring, simply because that is so poorly done by Jayco that it is an explosion of wires. Plus getting the dash off is no fun either.
The splitter box is actually a switch that uses a trigger from the vehicle to determine which camera to turn on, left turn signal, right turn signal, reverse.

It will come down to a troubleshooting, tracing operation.

Here is the switch that was used in most of the Cs and is behind the head unit.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CSW3014 Camera Control Doc.pdf (194.6 KB, 27 views)

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:39 AM   #6
CAG

I should also add that an easy check and one to be done first is the wiring above and behind the emergency brake. Some fool at Jayco thought that was a good place to run wiring. Trouble is that wire can get pinched by applying the emergency brake thus shorting out several things including the mirrors.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:50 AM   #7

Thanks everyone, I woke up four in the morning thinking about this, so I just ordered the camera to have it before we leave on Wednesday. Just in case. I’ll go through some troubleshooting techniques. I have some AV testing equipment I just wanted to know anybody else’s experience with these cameras. I know the real cheap chunk. I was going to order a different camera but aesthetically I want to keep it the same. Does anyone know if The Warriors go up and over the roof or do they go through the RV somewhere?
Old 03-18-2023, 10:03 AM   #8

We’re about to leave, I’m hooking up the toad and the camera is back on, 1-2 line flickers then steady! I hate intermittent problems!
Old 03-18-2023, 10:40 AM   #9

Mine is a 2021 model Redhawk and it started to flicker. I noticed it when I washed my RV spraying near the camera area. It could have been that water got into the camera's circuits and shorted it out.

While on a cross country trip, the camera zapped out in Florida. Went to the local Walmart and pickup up a rear camera for $15, a 7 pin plug, and 25' trailer wiring kit to extend the video feed wire from the rear of the RV to the head unit. I tapped the 12V+ off the battery charge pin on the 7 way plug and ground. Totally MacGyvered it.
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 01:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyh818 View Post
Mine is a 2021 model Redhawk and it started to flicker. I noticed it when I washed my RV spraying near the camera area. It could have been that water got into the camera's circuits and shorted it out.

While on a cross country trip, the camera zapped out in Florida. Went to the local Walmart and pickup up a rear camera for $15, a 7 pin plug, and 25' trailer wiring kit to extend the video feed wire from the rear of the RV to the head unit. I tapped the 12V+ off the battery charge pin on the 7 way plug and ground. Totally MacGyvered it.
2.5 hours from Orlando back home, not one flicker! I tried to hit every rut, (there aren’t many in this part of florida), and nothing! Then as I’m parking it in our lot and it flickered slightly! I’m leaning towards a bad camera. I’ll have the new one tomorrow, I’ll just hold on to it just incase. I would just buy a regular cheap O surface mount camera, but I want to keep the aesthetics of the one I have now.

Does anyone know if the camera wires run up and over the top of the RV to the camera, or through the side of the rig or run on the the bottom of these rigs? I’m just curious.

Thanks everyone, but I’m still open to comments.

JN
Old 03-18-2023, 01:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
The rear camera is notorious for failing and there are a number of issues that start behind the dash at the "switch" and can then be a pinched wire, sometimes at the emergency brake but can be the camera itself and that would be the first place I started before tearing into the dash wiring, simply because that is so poorly done by Jayco that it is an explosion of wires. Plus getting the dash off is no fun either.
The splitter box is actually a switch that uses a trigger from the vehicle to determine which camera to turn on, left turn signal, right turn signal, reverse.

It will come down to a troubleshooting, tracing operation.

Here is the switch that was used in most of the Cs and is behind the head unit.
Awesome thanks. I only have a rear view/backup camera, so I’m guessing there’s no splitter or switch.
Old 03-18-2023, 01:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
It is almost impossible to know without testing. Because it was flickering prior to going out that would indicate a higher likelihood of a bad connection. However, the bad connection could certainly still be internal to the camera.

Without having another camera to test with already, what I would likely do is check the camera's connector first by just disconnecting and reconnecting it at the camera (or it's connecter near the camera on a pigtail). While I was there, I would check for power at the connector. If it had power and still no video on the display, I would ask my partner to watch the display, have it set for the rear camera and then tap on the camera. If the tapping directly on the camera allowed for an image or even flickering I would feel confident that a replacement camera is needed. If that test didn't reveal anything and you have power to the camera, I likely would still replace the camera first primarily because checking the wiring from the camera to the display and in particular behind the dash is not easy to do (very hard to get to the cable and connectors). One other thought is that it is also possible that the display unit itself is the problem, so it is hard to know.

As another quick thought, if tapping the camera didn't make any difference, I would try to reach behind the dash from underneath the area around the steering column and gently move the bundle of wires back and forth a little and from different locations and see if the flickering starts again. If the display did flicker or an image appeared while doing that, then the issue would be more likely a loose or poor connection in that area.

FYI, On mine, the camera cable runs along the frame in a loom from the back of the RV and then up into the rear of the cab on the drivers side and continues underneath the drivers door sill and into the side panel next to the parking brake, out from there to above (or under... don't remember) the steering column, into a splitter box, and then to the radio (display). I would also be suspecting the splitter box itself. I am not sure why mine even has a splitter box, but it is setup for a 3 camera system (left blinker, right blinker, and rear camera) however I only have a rear camera.

Which camera on amazon is a match for yours? (link perhaps)

~CA
Hey Craig, long time no talk! Thanks for all of that buddy! Hope all is well with you? Let’s catch up through email. I did bang on everything while the DW watched the screen and she saw nothing!

Here is the link to the camera I ordered from Amazon, is an exact fit right down to the screw hole placements!

Anina Tail Surface Mount Backup Camera W/LED 3rd Brake Light for Jayco Coachmen Freelander Trailer Camper RV Van, Jeep Wrangler JK Ur... https://a.co/d/8ktIyrP
Old 03-20-2023, 03:43 PM   #13

OP here, camera came yesterday yesterday, I decided to put it in today. Instillation went well, even though whomever installed it left about 1.5” of slack on the positive & negative cables! I had to splice them to the new camera using needle nose and wire strippers like a surgeon !

I tested the old camera before I pulled it out and had some static lines in it. Then I hooked up the new camera, temporarily, and boy with a big difference picture was much clearer much sharper, (I guess as sharp as these cheap-O cameras can be), and no lines. So with fingers crossed im 99.9% positive that was the issue! Don’t worry if not I’ll be back on here for sure.

Thanks guys and gals!

PS.. after looking at these photos while posting , I realize I never had a colored camera before it was always black-and-white!
Attached Thumbnails
D3714849-9A56-44A4-A83F-4E870E666CB0.jpeg   E60A9F20-52D6-45DA-8E73-A5178BD27D17.jpeg  
Old 03-21-2023, 06:00 AM   #14

A black and white camera (the old one)? Never knew they made them, and I've installed several on trucks and now my RV. Maybe that camera was faulty from the get go, and it decided to fail completely. Sounds like it was meant to be, as now you have color, which I think your old camera was supposed to be anyhow.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 08:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
A black and white camera (the old one)? Never knew they made them, and I've installed several on trucks and now my RV. Maybe that camera was faulty from the get go, and it decided to fail completely. Sounds like it was meant to be, as now you have color, which I think your old camera was supposed to be anyhow.
Some cameras, (I don't know about this one in particular though), shift to B&W under low light conditions as the camera can better capture B&W vs color under low light. There is a sensor in the camera that can go out or simply get dirty, something to check for if anyone has a backup camera that stays in B&W. Often you can test for this by shining a bright flashlight at the camera and see if it shifts back to color, if so, try cleaning the camera housing. Sometimes though the sensor goes out and it doesn't matter. Other cameras, usually the larger ones will turn on some IR LED's when the sensor determines a low light condition and stay in color mode instead of shifting to B&W. ~CA
Old 03-21-2023, 09:07 AM   #16

I’ll test the new one at night but the old one was definitely B&W.

Thanks again y’all
Old 03-21-2023, 09:23 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
I’ll test the new one at night but the old one was definitely B&W.

Thanks again y’all
I wonder if perhaps it had an issue all along, my 2010 b/u camera is in color (but a different setup and housing) and most newer cameras only got better. In any case, it is a good deal that yours is working well again and in color now. Does it have audio as well? Mine does and I am not sure I like that as when driving and I turn on the rear camera, my radio \ music quits playing and all I hear is road noise. ~CA
Old 03-21-2023, 11:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I wonder if perhaps it had an issue all along, my 2010 b/u camera is in color (but a different setup and housing) and most newer cameras only got better. In any case, it is a good deal that yours is working well again and in color now. Does it have audio as well? Mine does and I am not sure I like that as when driving and I turn on the rear camera, my radio \ music quits playing and all I hear is road noise. ~CA
Thanks, my old, black and white never had audio. I hope it doesn’t because that’s weird I don’t think I would want Audio either. That sounds like it’s annoying.

We usually have Waze GPS app on my iPhone playing through the radios Bluetooth with Pandora playing, with intermittent interruptions by the GPS app, while on the rear camera input, so I’m going to say even if I had audio, the way I use the system it cuts it out. If you feel adventurous enough, I would think you can locate the white and red RCA jacks on either end of the camera wire, (audio only), and just disconnect them, (yellow or BNC is for video)
Old 03-22-2023, 05:03 AM   #19

Darn near every camera you can buy today, including the cheap ones will have a set of small LED's at the left and right side of the center camera. I always thought this was to assist in lighting up the rear to get a better camera view.

Perhaps this is also to keep the camera showing color as craigrv mentioned.

Now craigrv is going to force me to cover the LED's with some tape to see if the camera switches to black and white to satisfy my curiosity!

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 07:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Darn near every camera you can buy today, including the cheap ones will have a set of small LED's at the left and right side of the center camera. I always thought this was to assist in lighting up the rear to get a better camera view.

Perhaps this is also to keep the camera showing color as craigrv mentioned.

Now craigrv is going to force me to cover the LED's with some tape to see if the camera switches to black and white to satisfy my curiosity!
Many of them are IR (infrared) lights that help illuminate the area when needed, but do not put out a visible light. The cameras can see the light but the light is not visible (easily) to the eye. Just depends on which camera. I think mine are IR lights. ~CA