Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-13-2023, 09:55 PM   #1

Rear view camera is crapp!!!

The stock rearview camera and GPS is Crap on my 2020 24L. Very Hazy!! May try cleaning camera lens to see if that helps. will probably use my Garman 770 instead of factory GPS.
Has anyone upgraded their radio/GPS/ rearview camera? If so what did you go with?

2020 Jayco Melbourne 24L
Lexington, SC
Motorhome2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 10:18 PM   #2
RPR

Our 2018 camera lens was hazy when we first got it. Washed the lens and that took care of it.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 10:03 AM   #3

My lens was fine on the one I have but the angle was only useful for backing into a site as it points straight down. The more important use for me was if I found myself in a situation like a gas station where i needed to back up a little I wanted to see if there was a car right behind me. The stock camera does not show that. Even for backing into a site, it became completely useless once I had a bike rack on the back.

I kept the camera as is and just got a wireless that easily mounted up high on the back with no drilling etc. Its not perfect and quite choppy when you are driving at any speed over 20mph but it is absolutely perfect for backing up. There are way better cameras but I went with a sub $100 option on Amazon and it suits my needs.

Crazy how bad the stock wired camera is when it could be great if they just put a little more thought into it.
jasonthegreyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 11:48 AM   #4

Maybe there is an upgraded camera that can be installed in place of the stock one. Anybody looked into it?

Bill

William Bauer
2021 Greyhawk Prestige 30XP
TOAD-2013 Ford Focus 5sp.
bauerb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 09:13 PM   #5

Checking on that now. Thanks

2020 Jayco Melbourne 24L
Lexington, SC
Old 11-20-2023, 09:21 PM   #6

I bought the Haloview BT7. Used it for the first time towing up to Kentucky from Florida. Amazing screen, clear, odor, and has night vision. Very good set up. Check those out.
fishinspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 08:18 AM   #7

Replaced radio, backup camera is good now. very clear!!!!

2020 Jayco Melbourne 24L
Lexington, SC
Old 12-13-2023, 11:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhome2 View Post
Replaced radio, backup camera is good now. very clear!!!!
What did you replace it with? Also I think there are aftermarket cameras that might be a lot better than the stock one. I would like to just replace the camera and use the same wiring.

Bill

William Bauer
Old 12-13-2023, 12:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauerb1 View Post
What did you replace it with? Also I think there are aftermarket cameras that might be a lot better than the stock one. I would like to just replace the camera and use the same wiring.

Bill
Actually I replaced it with the same brand (Soundstream) but an upgraded version. Plug & Play!!! Big improvement overall.

2020 Jayco Melbourne 24L
Lexington, SC
Old 12-13-2023, 01:12 PM   #10

Apparently the rear view camera is a Rivermark brand. Pulled it out and discovered there is a single wire marked "rear" out of the back of the camera. Diffidently not a coax cable but a small gauge wire. Rivermark does not show this camera on their website but they do show a very nice adjustable rear view camera. Don't think the wiring is compatible but it would be nice to know. Has anybody researched this at all?

Bill

William Bauer
Old 12-13-2023, 02:37 PM   #11

OK this is the part # for the rear camera- CAMERA,BACKUP CMOS ANALOG MFR#RV-PCAM-BS2. Jayco parts want $419. Can be had for less. Just need to find a plug and play upgrade.

William Bauer
Old 12-13-2023, 03:02 PM   #12

This is what my camera looks like-https://www.rvcams.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/IMG-6591.jpg

William Bauer
Old 12-13-2023, 03:50 PM   #13

My camera is different. Old style typical backup camera, but working fine with new radio. Very clear and useable.

2020 Jayco Melbourne 24L
Lexington, SC
Old 04-29-2024, 09:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhome2 View Post
Actually I replaced it with the same brand (Soundstream) but an upgraded version. Plug & Play!!! Big improvement overall.
What model # did you buy for your replacement?
Craig Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 10:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthegreyhawk View Post
My lens was fine on the one I have but the angle was only useful for backing into a site as it points straight down. The more important use for me was if I found myself in a situation like a gas station where i needed to back up a little I wanted to see if there was a car right behind me. The stock camera does not show that. Even for backing into a site, it became completely useless once I had a bike rack on the back.

I kept the camera as is and just got a wireless that easily mounted up high on the back with no drilling etc. Its not perfect and quite choppy when you are driving at any speed over 20mph but it is absolutely perfect for backing up. There are way better cameras but I went with a sub $100 option on Amazon and it suits my needs.

Crazy how bad the stock wired camera is when it could be great if they just put a little more thought into it.
My 2023 29MV rear camera works fine. The lens itself is adjustable so I tilted it up to see my tow car and the road around me instead of the rear bumper. Now I drive with the rear camera on full time so I can watch for cars racing around me.
symonsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 08:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Bennett View Post
What model # did you buy for your replacement?
It is actually the same model # but says upgraded. I could't see any difference!! I also replaced the review camera because it was cloudy from moisture. all seems good now.

2020 Jayco Melbourne 24L
Lexington, SC