Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2019, 01:46 PM   #1
shw

Rear wheels, fake wheel covers,tire valves

I was looking around the back dual tire/wheel area-wondering if there is a simpler way to get to my tire valves(out and in). In the process saw a u-tube video by Trisha’s trailers RE: wheel covers and how to remove them. I gave it a go-removed the center cover(either two screws or fake lug nuts) and pried off the wheel cover—low and behold there was access not only to the lug nuts but also to both tire valves—so I guess if you can stand the back tires not looking “bright and shiny “ this may (??) be an easier way to have access to your tire stems.
Attached Thumbnails
AEEC0CD9-CF6F-45FB-8235-2D25D7F001D0.jpg   image.jpg  
shw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:19 PM   #2

Looks involved. I just use this, takes a second to get the wheel simulator off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GW...b_b_asin_title
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 04:15 PM   #3

I ended up removing my simulators and painting the wheels. They have been know to fly off when driving possibly causing damage. I also bought steel dually valves that makes checking pressure a breeze now.

https://yourtireshopsupply.com/categ...sprinter-class
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 01:33 AM   #4

I had extensions added last year so I can get to the valve stems without removing the simulators.
1SGPETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:00 PM   #5

1SG...do you know what extensions you added? I need to do the same thing but there are multiple lengths and angles and unsure which ones I need.

Thanks!
campaholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:45 PM   #6

Here’s a like to a similar post from last November: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...mvp-72326.html
I use bolt on wheel simulators so there is zero chance of them flying off. I also use the stainless hose extensions which are supported by the bolt on simulators. Personally, I would not own an RV that did not have a TPMS / temperature monitor.
Frodo13056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 05:58 AM   #7

Not sure of the brand any more. I found them at a camping supply store on the road. They come in two different shapes. One is straight and is used for the out side wheel, the other is a 180 curve to come back through the hole in the inner rim and through the simulators so you can get to them. They have wire springs attached to hold them in the proper position to be able to check and add air.
My simulators are mounted with two screw on lugs that hold them on the vehicle. When I bought the vehicle, it had one simulator that had one proper lug and a huge nut on the other lug. When I stopped to have them put on, we had a heck of a time finding a wrench to remove the one huge nut. So when we remounted the simulators, we left that nut off and mounted that one with only one plastic nut. Some place out in Arizona or New Mexico, I lost that simulator. I have always hoped it went out into the desert and caused no problems as it flew away. I have since purchased a replacement but have not installed it yet. It is a clip on and just attaches to the rim with clips. Worries me.
1SGPETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnbgould View Post
1SG...do you know what extensions you added? I need to do the same thing but there are multiple lengths and angles and unsure which ones I need.

Thanks!
If you still have the OEM rubber stems you might want to consider replacing them with steel. Several members at the Sprinter Forum added extensions to the rubber OEM valves and the rubber stems eventually failed from fatigue that the extensions add. Even with the extensions secured there is still some whipping. There is a short steel valve that another member recommended that would fit the rear but my tire guy couldn't get a good seal on the fronts. I would have just put them on the back wheels but I wanted to use a cap style TPMS and the manufacture warned against using with rubber stems. If you use extensions with the simulators (hub caps) and if they should happen to come off while driving you most likely are going to loose pressure in both rear tires. After about a 6 month search and 2 attempts for an alternative I ended up going with the one piece steel dually stems with a cap style TPMS. If I were not going to add a cap style TPMS I would have settled with the shorter steel stems in the rear and left the rubber in the front. With a truckers air gauge and short steel stems in the back would make it easier to get the gauge on the valves verses the flimsy rubber OEM ones.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:24 AM   #9
CAG

I probably should have added this to my original request for help but just didn't.

I struggled to find something that would not leak and would allow me to keep the chrome covers on. I went with the item below (not the same vendor). I drove to Discount Tire and had them install them. Cost me $10 a tire and the valve stems. Now I can get to them without pulling the chrome covers.

I also have the same removal tool from Amazon. Works like a charm.

https://www.shinyrv.com/product/dual...free-shipping/

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SGPETE View Post
Not sure of the brand any more. I found them at a camping supply store on the road. They come in two different shapes. One is straight and is used for the out side wheel, the other is a 180 curve to come back through the hole in the inner rim and through the simulators so you can get to them. They have wire springs attached to hold them in the proper position to be able to check and add air.
My simulators are mounted with two screw on lugs that hold them on the vehicle. When I bought the vehicle, it had one simulator that had one proper lug and a huge nut on the other lug. When I stopped to have them put on, we had a heck of a time finding a wrench to remove the one huge nut. So when we remounted the simulators, we left that nut off and mounted that one with only one plastic nut. Some place out in Arizona or New Mexico, I lost that simulator. I have always hoped it went out into the desert and caused no problems as it flew away. I have since purchased a replacement but have not installed it yet. It is a clip on and just attaches to the rim with clips. Worries me.

Part of my concern as well. My factory installed ones are “clip” style, and I lost a simulator somewhere in West Virginia mountains last year and really don’t want to spend $200+ to replace one or twice that to get after market ones so they match.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
If you still have the OEM rubber stems you might want to consider replacing them with steel. Several members at the Sprinter Forum added extensions to the rubber OEM valves and the rubber stems eventually failed from fatigue that the extensions add. Even with the extensions secured there is still some whipping. There is a short steel valve that another member recommended that would fit the rear but my tire guy couldn't get a good seal on the fronts. I would have just put them on the back wheels but I wanted to use a cap style TPMS and the manufacture warned against using with rubber stems. If you use extensions with the simulators (hub caps) and if they should happen to come off while driving you most likely are going to loose pressure in both rear tires. After about a 6 month search and 2 attempts for an alternative I ended up going with the one piece steel dually stems with a cap style TPMS. If I were not going to add a cap style TPMS I would have settled with the shorter steel stems in the rear and left the rubber in the front. With a truckers air gauge and short steel stems in the back would make it easier to get the gauge on the valves verses the flimsy rubber OEM ones.

PF...you hit the nail on the head. I want to install a TPMS but need either extensions or replace the rubber ones with steel. I’ve used extensions on a previous coach and never had a problem but didn’t use TPMS system. Now I read that TPMS on extensions on rubber stems is just asking for trouble.
Can’t find anyone near me who will 1) even mess with dually valves stems or 2) don’t have what I need unless I bring the parts with me.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I probably should have added this to my original request for help but just didn't.

I struggled to find something that would not leak and would allow me to keep the chrome covers on. I went with the item below (not the same vendor). I drove to Discount Tire and had them install them. Cost me $10 a tire and the valve stems. Now I can get to them without pulling the chrome covers.

I also have the same removal tool from Amazon. Works like a charm.

https://www.shinyrv.com/product/dual...free-shipping/

CAG...are the longer ones steel that mount to the rims or are these extensions used on the original rubber stems?
Old 01-25-2020, 09:49 AM   #13
CAG

Quote:
CAG...are the longer ones steel that mount to the rims or are these extensions used on the original rubber stems?
No extensions. I did not want them leaking and they will. These replace the original valve stem. They mount to the rims.

They guys at Discount said that it probably would not throw the balance off but I had them rebalance just in case. I did not want a bouncing tire.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:53 AM   #14

Quote:
PF...you hit the nail on the head. I want to install a TPMS but need either extensions or replace the rubber ones with steel. I’ve used extensions on a previous coach and never had a problem but didn’t use TPMS system. Now I read that TPMS on extensions on rubber stems is just asking for trouble.
Can’t find anyone near me who will 1) even mess with dually valves stems or 2) don’t have what I need unless I bring the parts with me.
I found an independent tire store that also did med duty trucks to install the ones like in the link in my first post this thread.
https://yourtireshopsupply.com/categ...sprinter-class
Local MB dealer also said they would install them as well if I brought them in. We never talked price but they are over an hour away.

Post 8 in this thread is interesting. https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...highlight=dill
Still need someway adjust the rears without the flimsy rubber OEM valve stems though. My goal was to add TPMS without breaking the bank. The rig was new and I was hesitant to spend even more. Finally got over it though. The short steel ones I mentioned earlier were less than $5 a piece. The user that posted the part # eventually admitted they ground off part of the base of the stem so that it would fit in the Sprinter steel wheels. I cant remember if my tire shop wouldn't do that or I found out after the fact. I do believe if we had steel valves the same length as the rubber ones, checking the pressure or adding air would be easier to get a proper air chuck to get a better fit. The rubber ones you have to get the right angle and the right amount of force so that you push straight and the rubber stem doesn't deflect. Maybe with more experience it would be easier. Even with the cap TPMS I check and fill all the tires before a trip. With the longer and bent one piece steel valves it is as easy as checking the tire pressure on a car.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:23 AM   #15

Has anyone used this product for rear wheels

https://www.sprinterstore.com/produc...-2013-present/
Attached Thumbnails
VALVES STEMS.png  
Steve750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 01:44 PM   #16

Just bought valve stem extensions from lakes Schwab for $6 for both and they put it on for me without charge labor. Hopefully no air leak. Look for good tmps to put it on
Attached Thumbnails
DEB7B13F-8E05-4BEA-BF23-3851E879A1C1.jpg   D5234A33-133C-4E08-8961-FC61314E7A18.jpg  
qnghiem is offline   Reply With Quote