Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-29-2017, 03:51 PM   #1

Question Reassurance or advice re winterizing

Hi all,
We just finished winterizing our 29 MV " by the book". We shut off the water heater, set the controls and ran antifreeze through the hot and cold taps and faucets. We did all faucets, outdoor shower etc....we put an extra shot in the traps and down the toilet so I hope there is sufficient antifreeze in all pipes and tanks.
Two questions/ worries. Is the tanKless water heater protected? I assume running the hot water taps moved antifreeze through the necessary hoses and/ or pipes?

And second: what about the low point drains? Are there any places the manual procedure that we followed to a tee may have missed?
we live in the White Mountains and will have below zero temps for extended periods and are worried!!!!

Always appreciate hearing from others...
Thanks
Gayle
Baldfacemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:27 PM   #2

Sounds like you did it right. Did you open all faucets AND the low point drains to allow all water in the Lines to flow out before closing them all and drawing in antifreeze?

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:52 PM   #3

Yes
Seemed to take a long time for the pump to prime and so we fidgeted with the drains and also helped it along with a hand pump. We used two full gallons of antifreeze which seemed like a lot and then poured some from a third into the taps..hubby wanted to " clear the water" though I thought running the tap should have already done that. Better safe than sorry he thought...
Agreed....
Thanks
Old 10-29-2017, 06:04 PM   #4

Sounds like you did it right. If you did not turn the cone screen around on your water inlet you probably did have trouble. Nothing is mentioned about it the manual. It opens the check valve so the pump gets unrestricted suction. Next year pull it out, turn it around, and you like it!
rchlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchlap View Post
Sounds like you did it right. If you did not turn the cone screen around on your water inlet you probably did have trouble. Nothing is mentioned about it the manual. It opens the check valve so the pump gets unrestricted suction. Next year pull it out, turn it around, and you like it!

rchlap...tell me more about this cone screen you mentioned. I screwed with mine for an hour before I finally got the pump to prime and draw the antifreeze into the line(s). I pulled out what little hair I had left...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
campaholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnbgould View Post
rchlap...tell me more about this cone screen you mentioned. I screwed with mine for an hour before I finally got the pump to prime and draw the antifreeze into the line(s). I pulled out what little hair I had left...

If you look carefully where you connect your fresh water hose to your city water connection you will see there is a screen that is cone shaped. Similar to what you would see on a lawn sprinkler. If you remove the screen, you will see that it covers a check valve. If turn the screen around, the cone of the screen will push in on the check valve and it much easier for the pump to prime and fill with your winterizing solution. The problem arises when you open your low point valves and there is no liquid in the lines and it can take a long time for the pump to overcome the spring pressure on the check valve and it has difficulty priming itself.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:16 PM   #7

x2 You would think that would be something they would mention in the "Book".
Old 10-29-2017, 09:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchlap View Post
x2 You would think that would be something they would mention in the "Book".
They don't because it isn't recommended or "really" necessary. There is always a small risk of damaging the check valve if the system is pressurized and not drained first.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:36 PM   #9

If it is not necessary what do you do? Stand there and pull your hair out, put your hands in your pocket, or just gently flip the screen. Wish I would have known about it in West Texas last winter when the weather turned on me and I tried to winterize at a truck stop!! My thinking is most people have drained their lines and there would be no pressure to hurt anything. Not in the book because they just plain omitted it just like a lot of other things.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnbgould View Post

Here's a PDF I put together for my Wife and Kids - shows a picture of the screen.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cdpty2ayry...izing.pdf?dl=0

Like others have said, some need to do it and some don't.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Here's a PDF I put together for my Wife and Kids - shows a picture of the screen.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cdpty2ayry...izing.pdf?dl=0

Like others have said, some need to do it and some don't.

Dude that’s awesome. You should write tech manuals for manufacturers!! Much better than the useless crap they provide.

campaholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:12 PM   #12

Yes that is great, I should do one for the 29 MV .pretty close but the low point drains are all on the drivers side. After watching I feel better that we Did it right thought we did not flip the screen but used a pump to get it primed. And opened a low point drain as the manual said....

Now we are debating using a cover or not.....
Thanks everyone

Gayle