Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-13-2016, 06:31 AM   #1

Recall Completed, Now the Keypad Doesn't Illuminate

Hello All. We drove our Seneca to Jayco in October. Among the few things they worked on was the Entry Keypad. Before they did the recall and ran a separate wire to it with an in-line fuse it illuminated. Now it doesn't. They were nice enough to send me another keypad. I replaced it and that didn't fix the issue. I checked all the fuses both at the panel on the bed and in the coach battery compartment. They are all good. Now I did find an orange wire with a female spade connector on it in the battery compartment just hanging down. I'm assuming that's the one abandoned by the new wire they ran for the recall. I'm waiting for Jayco to get back to me. But thought I'd see if anyone here had a clue? Maybe call the manufacturer of the keypad? Thanks.
Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer or 1999 Jeep Wrangler
Shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:30 AM   #2

hmmmmm....mine has never illuminated.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:16 PM   #3

It is likely a Dexter keypad. I do not know if Dexter still manufacturers and supports this keypad, but I do know Jayco moved away from using them in 2015. In new units Jayco now installs the Bauer latch with the keypad integrated into the assembly, powered by replaceable batteries. As you mention the Dexter uses coach power supplied via door jamb contacts.

My '14 TS is at Jayco Service in Middlebury right now, one of the things they are doing is replacing my entire entry door which will incorporate the new Bauer keypad latch. After 5 keypad replacements that didn't work very long (or even at all) they gave up and are replacing the whole door. The whole new door is necessary so I am not left with a hole where the Dexter keypad used to be.

As I recall correctly, my original Dexter keypad did light up when you first touched a key, but the replacements units did not. Perhaps they did change the units they supplied Jayco.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:50 AM   #4

We have a 2014 Jayco Seneca 37FS and my keypad does light up as I press the buttons. I repaired the door latch my self but can recall the wiring pattern.
tjbroussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:38 PM   #5

If it is a Bauer like on the North Point fifth wheels, then it must be "woken up" first by touching the area just to the right of the buttons before you can enter the code. This "touching" activates the lights.

Hope this helps!