Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2022, 08:46 AM   #1

Question Receptacles not working

Thank you for welcoming us to your group. We have only owned our Jayco for about three months. I found you while looking for the breaker in my 2016 Jayco Greyhawk. The manual said it was on a cabinet face in the main living area. Thanks to you, I found it is located on the bottom of the bed. I now have another question. Both receptacles for our TV’s are not working. (They did when we first got it) We have a TV in the bedroom and one in the forward bunk. Both are very high in the camper. We checked every fuse and breaker and nothing is blown. All other receptacles are in working order. It is just those two. Anyone have any ideas? I hope I am posting this in an appropriate spot. If not, I apologize.
SanDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 09:15 AM   #2

Either the Inverter or the transfer switch for the Inverter. Some Inverters have a transfer switch built in and other rigs have a separate transfer switch for the Inverter circuit.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:31 AM   #3

I will check that out. Thank you
Old 08-05-2022, 02:30 PM   #4

What model 2016 do you have? If it's a 31FK I can probably assist,
Old 08-06-2022, 07:17 AM   #5

It is a 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-06-2022, 08:18 AM   #6

We have the same model and am going to assume you are at a campground. Have you checked that you're actually getting power from the campground electrical box? You may have to flip on the button there or reset. I suspect that you may be running on batteries which is why some plugs are working and others are not
Daniel3359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:55 AM   #7

We are actually at home now. There is power coming in. Everything else is working except for those two receptacles. I am not familiar with the inverter or the transfer switch. Would they be the cause for just two receptacles and where do I find them?
Old 08-08-2022, 01:39 PM   #8

Mine is under the master bed. I have to remove small sheet of plywood that the mattress rests on. My unit is a 2020 27U. Pic of transfer switch and inverter attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Under Bed Overview Shot 2.jpg   AC Transfer Switch for Inverter Power.jpg  
Old 08-08-2022, 06:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDee View Post
We are actually at home now. There is power coming in. Everything else is working except for those two receptacles. I am not familiar with the inverter or the transfer switch. Would they be the cause for just two receptacles and where do I find them?

If it's ONLY those two receptacles, then I'm going with the Inverter. Me thinks if the transfer switch was bad, you'd lose all AC power to the house.

Your inverter is very likely a Xantrex 1000. It's going to look >>something like<< this one: https://xantrex.com/products/discont...ts/pro-series/

Mine's under my bed in The Jayco Rats Nest of Wiring.

Since you've lost power to ONLY the TVs, I'm thinking it's the inverter. In my 31FK, I have two TVs too, but the inverter only powers the living room TV. Make sure your inverter is on at the remote control panel.
Old 08-18-2022, 05:44 AM   #10

Outlets out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDee View Post
I just developed the same problem. No power to the inverter outlets. Whatever the cause it knocked out my GFI as well. Replaced the GFI and have 120 back in coach outlets.but not on the inverter outlets Strange thing though, the outlets work off the inverter only but when the inverter is off no120. So how did you fix your problem? Inverter or transfer switch?
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 05:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodpod View Post
I just developed the same problem. No power to the inverter outlets. Whatever the cause it knocked out my GFI as well. Replaced the GFI and have 120 back in coach outlets.but not on the inverter outlets Strange thing though, the outlets work off the inverter only but when the inverter is off no120. So how did you fix your problem? Inverter or transfer switch?
Not sure how yours is wired, but my 2020 29MV has a transfer switch for the inverter that is separate from the main transfer switch. Some inverters transfer internally and some have an external transfer switch. Follow the output wiring from your inverter and see if it leads to another transfer switch. That or the inverter itself could be the problem.
Old 08-18-2022, 06:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvspl View Post
Not sure how yours is wired, but my 2020 29MV has a transfer switch for the inverter that is separate from the main transfer switch. Some inverters transfer internally and some have an external transfer switch. Follow the output wiring from your inverter and see if it leads to another transfer switch. That or the inverter itself could be the problem.
I have a 2018 29 MV wire same as yours. What was the fix? I don’t want to change the inverter if it is the transfer switch
Old 08-18-2022, 06:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodpod View Post
I have a 2018 29 MV wire same as yours. What was the fix? I don’t want to change the inverter if it is the transfer switch
If you get power when the inverter is on, then the inverter is working. With shore power (or generator), check for 115V power to the input side of the inverter transfer switch. If you have power to the input but nothing at the output, then the transfer switch has failed and will need to be replaced. For more info and wiring diagrams, here's a link to transfer switch manual: https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/si...W-TS15-Web.pdf
Old 08-19-2022, 06:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvspl View Post
If you get power when the inverter is on, then the inverter is working. With shore power (or generator), check for 115V power to the input side of the inverter transfer switch. If you have power to the input but nothing at the output, then the transfer switch has failed and will need to be replaced. For more info and wiring diagrams, here's a link to transfer switch manual: https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/si...W-TS15-Web.pdf
Thanks so much. The diagrams are very useful
Old 08-24-2022, 12:38 PM   #15

Not sure about newer Jayco's but 1999 has GFI outlets in some very strange places. Worse the button that pops up is easy to miss since it doesn't have a red ring exposed so in low light levels it is easy to miss. I lost two outlets on our last trip and couldn't find anything wrong. Waited till we got home and started digging and found both were fed from one GFI outlet that had popped. I painted the edges of the poppet button with a red marker so next time I might find it. In trying to track down the problem I found another GFI outlet under the bed that I didn't even know was there that they plugged some things into that I thought were hard wired.
JebTN is offline   Reply With Quote