Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-05-2021, 03:56 AM   #21

CAG, I'm jumping in late here but my rig is a twin to yours & I just completed this exact project. I got the recliner in cloth, oatmeal, non-powered for the same reason, doesn't recline without 120VAC. To your point of wall clearance, I experimented and ended up positioning the recliner right up against the valance, with literally a pinkie-finger clearance. I found that when you pull the D-ring to recline, the seatback drops down & away from the valance. Plenty of clearance after that all the way to full recline. You want to back it up as far as you can because the footrests will hit the kitchen counter if it's too far forward on the platform with slide in. I used 1/2" plywood platform. l was surprised at how high you sit in the recliner. I'm just under 6' and my feet barely rest flat on the floor sitting upright. My wife's feet swing like a little girl in a high chair. It's because Jayco designed the trifold sofa lower down to account for the slide platform height. Recliner is basically a normal piece of furniture designed to sit flat on the floor, not jacked up 3-4". Have you removed the trifold sofa yet? I've got some experience with that fun phase of this project. Hope this helped. I got a lot of good advice too.
CW5AVRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 09:15 AM   #22
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW5AVRet View Post
CAG, I'm jumping in late here but my rig is a twin to yours & I just completed this exact project. I got the recliner in cloth, oatmeal, non-powered for the same reason, doesn't recline without 120VAC. To your point of wall clearance, I experimented and ended up positioning the recliner right up against the valance, with literally a pinkie-finger clearance. I found that when you pull the D-ring to recline, the seatback drops down & away from the valance. Plenty of clearance after that all the way to full recline. You want to back it up as far as you can because the footrests will hit the kitchen counter if it's too far forward on the platform with slide in. I used 1/2" plywood platform. l was surprised at how high you sit in the recliner. I'm just under 6' and my feet barely rest flat on the floor sitting upright. My wife's feet swing like a little girl in a high chair. It's because Jayco designed the trifold sofa lower down to account for the slide platform height. Recliner is basically a normal piece of furniture designed to sit flat on the floor, not jacked up 3-4". Have you removed the trifold sofa yet? I've got some experience with that fun phase of this project. Hope this helped. I got a lot of good advice too.

Super! We are off to get the second Covid shot so when we get back I will PM you and we can kick this around. Thanks!!

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 12:10 PM   #23

Following. I have the 2018 Esteem 29V and we are thinking also replacing with electric recliners. If you would please post pictures and if you used the electric box or just moved it.
Crawler87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 01:22 PM   #24
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawler87 View Post
Following. I have the 2018 Esteem 29V and we are thinking also replacing with electric recliners. If you would please post pictures and if you used the electric box or just moved it.

Go to the beginning of this thread. There is a link to an earlier thread with some photos that may help you. From everyone else's posts you will probably have to move the box.

Old 02-05-2021, 06:15 PM   #25
CAG

Quote:

sent you a PM

Old 02-05-2021, 08:03 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawler87 View Post
Crawler87--Somebody correct me if I'm mistaken but my understanding is the electric version will not recline or move at all without 120VAC power. This means you must either be plugged into shore power or crank up the generator every time you want to use it for its intended purpose. This was a showstopper for me. Not worth it for the cool blue LEDs & other stuff. If you go the plywood platform route, you will have to disconnect the electric box from the slide floor & re-screw it down to the plywood. I did this by moving it around to a spot that was out of the way of the recliner, and didn't bend or crimp the wires. Either way you have to open up the box to remove the securing screws, then redrill, screw to the plywood & close up the box.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
sent you a PM
Got it, thanks much. Replied & email too
Old 02-10-2021, 01:07 PM   #28

Check Brad & Hall, they have nice wheels that can be attached to recliner frame. They suggest one each if recliners are manual or two eash if electric. I used two and they eork great and are vertically adjustable. You can remove and shorten valance.
Old 02-10-2021, 03:20 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micikas View Post
Check Brad & Hall, they have nice wheels that can be attached to recliner frame. They suggest one each if recliners are manual or two eash if electric. I used two and they eork great and are vertically adjustable. You can remove and shorten valance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micikas View Post
Micikas can you please describe where the wheels go—I can’t visualize their location in this project. I will also add another reason to go with plywood platform besides extending for the front overhang. That is, securely attaching the recliner to the slide floor. You preposition carriage bolts up through the plywood in a pattern to match the holes in the recliner frame. Then you place the plywood on the slide floor & screw down around the edges. Finally you place the recliner frame over the protruding bolts & tighten down the nuts. Here’s the thing: the slide floor is not uniform, the construction materials are different between the center & edges. I found I needed the plywood to spread out the load to the slide floor edges where long wood screws found good purchase. Without that, if you just screw the frame down into the floor as is, the underlying material is soft styrofoam & the screws won’t hold. This project sounds worse than it is. Took me a three-day weekend start to finish, including multiple trips to Lowe’s/Ace because I initially cheaped out on the bolts.
Old 02-11-2021, 07:17 AM   #30

Quote:
I have been doing research for this project for several months and there are a few threads here on replacing the couch with the recliners. In at least one the owner extended the slide front to allow for the chair overhang but I cannot find anything about installing without doing that and there are a few other questions that I cannot find answers to. I am hoping someone may be able to help.

1. The window valance sticks out 4-5 inches from the wall and the chair needs another 3" to recline. Did anyone find a solution for this other than removing the valance? That is not a game stopper and those can be replaced with curtains.

2. The slide platform is 32-33 inches. Mounting to the platform, with the valances gone, would work as the frame on the chair is 21.25 inches. The front of the chairs would overhang the front of the slide. Did this cause a problem if anyone mounted this way?

3. The electrical box under the couch appears to have 120V. I have not plugged things in and opened it up to test. Does anyone know if it does have 120V through it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if someone wants to send the info via PM please do.
I removed our Shot gun couch a while back and installed a set of recliners with a center council, I too had the over hang problem. I took care of it by adding a sheet of 3/4 cdx to the slide and allowed it to over hang over the front that distance that I needed. I painted it a flat back and it looks like it came stock in the Motor Home. I used the couch mounting bolts to hold the plywood down, and used large electrical wire clamps to secure the recliners.
I can post pictures if you would like.
By the way. I removed the valences. and added curtains and drapes.

1SG Pete
1SGPETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:23 AM   #31

Quote:
Crawler87--Somebody correct me if I'm mistaken but my understanding is the electric version will not recline or move at all without 120VAC power. This means you must either be plugged into shore power or crank up the generator every time you want to use it for its intended purpose. This was a showstopper for me. Not worth it for the cool blue LEDs & other stuff. If you go the plywood platform route, you will have to disconnect the electric box from the slide floor & re-screw it down to the plywood. I did this by moving it around to a spot that was out of the way of the recliner, and didn't bend or crimp the wires. Either way you have to open up the box to remove the securing screws, then redrill, screw to the plywood & close up the box.
We looked at the electric recliners and due to the same problem of having to be plugged in at a camp site or running the generator, to operate it. We went with the no electric recliners.

1SG Pete
Old 02-11-2021, 07:33 AM   #32

Quote:
I have been doing research for this project for several months and there are a few threads here on replacing the couch with the recliners. In at least one the owner extended the slide front to allow for the chair overhang but I cannot find anything about installing without doing that and there are a few other questions that I cannot find answers to. I am hoping someone may be able to help.

1. The window valance sticks out 4-5 inches from the wall and the chair needs another 3" to recline. Did anyone find a solution for this other than removing the valance? That is not a game stopper and those can be replaced with curtains.

2. The slide platform is 32-33 inches. Mounting to the platform, with the valances gone, would work as the frame on the chair is 21.25 inches. The front of the chairs would overhang the front of the slide. Did this cause a problem if anyone mounted this way?

3. The electrical box under the couch appears to have 120V. I have not plugged things in and opened it up to test. Does anyone know if it does have 120V through it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if someone wants to send the info via PM please do.
We removed the valences ( they are ugly anyway) and added rods for curtains and drapes. Pulled out the couch. added a sheet of 3/4 plywood large enough to allow the recliners to sit on it and still be able to bolt them down. I painted the plywood flat black and it looks like it came that way.
I used the couch bolts to hold the plywood down, secured the recliners with electrical clamps (large ones)
The electric will only work while either plugged in or with the generator running, we opted for the non electric .

1SG Pete
Old 02-11-2021, 07:57 AM   #33

Watching
Ordered Recpro 58” electric recliner last week. Should get here today. Plan to install this weekend. Will post my thoughts after finished. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:30 PM   #34

How mechanically inclined are you and what tools do you have

My install sounds similar to yours. I did a 70" and my slide platform pretty much matches yours. My platform was a full 1" base so I went to Lowes (not endorsing any supplier) and bought a 5/4x6x8' board. Cut the length to size. I used 1/4 inch jobbers length bit to drill laterally through the board and then a 1/2' bit to recess the head of a 4" lag bolt. I then used a spacer underneath to hold the board level (Carpenters square) and lagged the board to the platform each end and 2 on middle. I also used straps and 3/4" screws a few places along the top seam. Added some carpet. Placed the seats and lagged them down to the board to additionally hold it up when sliding in/out. When done they are very solid and comfortable.
ruralIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 01:54 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SGPETE View Post
We removed the valences ( they are ugly anyway) and added rods for curtains and drapes. Pulled out the couch. added a sheet of 3/4 plywood large enough to allow the recliners to sit on it and still be able to bolt them down. I painted the plywood flat black and it looks like it came that way.
I used the couch bolts to hold the plywood down, secured the recliners with electrical clamps (large ones)
The electric will only work while either plugged in or with the generator running, we opted for the non electric .

1SG Pete
1SG Pete, just out of curiosity, what does the bare wall look like when you remove the valance? Are the valances glued or just screwed down over the wallpaper? Leave an outline that must be painted/papered over for aesthetics? Thanks Top
Old 02-13-2021, 06:25 AM   #36

Just install a small inverter, or if you have the residential fridge - tie into that inverter circuit
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 09:02 AM   #37

Quote:
1SG Pete, just out of curiosity, what does the bare wall look like when you remove the valance? Are the valances glued or just screwed down over the wallpaper? Leave an outline that must be painted/papered over for aesthetics? Thanks Top
All it left was the holes from the screws. WE have plans to repaint the whole interior so this will not be a problem, plus the drapes hid them very well.

1SG Pete
Old 02-13-2021, 09:13 AM   #38

Sway bars

I don't know where this post should go, but it may be of interest to all Class C owners.
WE own a 2005 Jayco Greyhawk.
I found that when being passed by big rigs or those super long Class A's, they would about blow us off the highway as they passed.
It was difficult to hold mine in our lane. I even felt the push from smaller trucks and vans as they passed. I would be a mental and a physical wreck by the time we stopped for the night.
I finally ordered heavy duty sway bars and changed the front ones out.
Made a world of difference, Now I don't crinch and grip the wheel to hold it in my lane as I am passed.
I changed them myself, took about an hour and was well worth the time money and effort.

1SG Pete
Old 02-13-2021, 09:24 AM   #39
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SGPETE View Post
I don't know where this post should go, but it may be of interest to all Class C owners.
WE own a 2005 Jayco Greyhawk.
I found that when being passed by big rigs or those super long Class A's, they would about blow us off the highway as they passed.
It was difficult to hold mine in our lane. I even felt the push from smaller trucks and vans as they passed. I would be a mental and a physical wreck by the time we stopped for the night.
I finally ordered heavy duty sway bars and changed the front ones out.
Made a world of difference, Now I don't crinch and grip the wheel to hold it in my lane as I am passed.
I changed them myself, took about an hour and was well worth the time money and effort.

1SG Pete

There are a bunch of threads on your problem and solutions. You might check the search feature at the top of the page to find a place to post that info.

Old 02-13-2021, 09:32 AM   #40
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffur View Post
Just install a small inverter, or if you have the residential fridge - tie into that inverter circuit

If you are talking about for operating the chair, I have an inverter but not the battery power. I would end up with a dead battery is short order.