Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-05-2018, 01:22 PM   #1

Red vs Grey

Looking at Redhawk and Greyhawk for first RV. Salespeople and Jayco brochure are not clear on major differences between these models. I would be interested in hearing differences from folks who have considered both models and purchased one of them.
Wahootate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:35 PM   #2

Redhawk: Ford, Honda
Greyhawk: Lincoln, Acura

Greyhawks will give you more 'cush'. Solid surface countertops, AC w/ heat pump (unless you do 2 ACs, which you can't in a Redhawk). Leveling jacks standard. A more attractive cab with more comfortable seats. Stuff like that.

Mind you most Class C's are also pretty porky and hence don't have much cargo carrying capacity. In that regard, the Redhawks are superior; all that cush in the Greyhawk adds weight and takes away from your cargo capacity.

ITS REMARKABLY EASY TO OVERLOAD MOST CLASS C's - make sure you know what you're looking at. Keep in mind you and your family are also cargo in this instance. Since you're in it while its going down the road, you count against its capacity unlike a travel trailer or 5'er.

Best of luck to you.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:29 PM   #3

Completely agree. The one "addon" that's on our Grey that gets the most use is the leveling system.

Red is saying "JRide" and the Grey "JRide plus" and about all I can see that they add are Bilstein shocks.

Framless windows? Meh, I think I'd like to have the framed ones back.

If there's One Thing that would push me into a Grey, it would to make sure the single AC unit can cool the coach. For a larger motorhome, our single 15K AC unit cannot keep us cool. The Greyhawks have the option for 2 11K units.

If I was getting one of the larger floorplans, then I'd insist on the dual ACs.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
ITS REMARKABLY EASY TO OVERLOAD MOST CLASS C's - make sure you know what you're looking at. Keep in mind you and your family are also cargo in this instance. Since you're in it while its going down the road, you count against its capacity unlike a travel trailer or 5'er.

Best of luck to you.
^^^ This applies to TT's and FW's also with respect to vehicle cargo carrying capacity.
2019 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax - SRW - 4WD - CC - LTZ - 8' Bed
Reese M5 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:16 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses. Very useful.
Wahootate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:22 PM   #6

Greyhawk 29ME

We looked at Redhawks and Greyhawks and there are several major differences, on Greyhawks there is a solid one piece fiberglass roof while
the Redhawks have a rubber roof, GH have standard auto leveling and as far as Jride plus the Bilestein shocks come as standard and the rear anti sway bar is a lot larger. On the 29ME because of the way the bed extends there is a cavernous storage area under it. With large doors on either side as well as one in the back you can carry just about everything you need there. So far
so good had one problem with the Garmin all in one control but talked with service department where we bought it and it was solved.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahootate View Post
Looking at Redhawk and Greyhawk for first RV. Salespeople and Jayco brochure are not clear on major differences between these models. I would be interested in hearing differences from folks who have considered both models and purchased one of them.
We looked at both and that 'cushy' stuff another poster mentioned sold us on the Greyhawk... along with two A/Cs, Heat pump, auto leveling, nice counter tops, fiberglass roof, large storage area, larger refrigerator, two mid cabin slide outs (providing loads of living room on a 29ME) and the nicer seats up front. Other than that, I am sure they are pretty similar.

Now, if they just had slide toppers!
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:46 PM   #8

I have a 2016 Greyhawk 31DS and it is a EDPM roof, not fiberglass? The cap on the front is one piece fiberglass, but not the entire roof. Is this model specific?
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:07 PM   #9

We chose our 2016 Grayhawk over a used 2015 Grayhawk
just for the fiberglass roof.
All the 16s the dealer had were One piece fiberglass.
katiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiedog View Post
We chose our 2016 Grayhawk over a used 2015 Grayhawk
just for the fiberglass roof.
All the 16s the dealer had were One piece fiberglass.
Interesting.....I wonder if it is a regional situation or perhaps date of construction issue (although mine was bought in Feb 2016 which still would have been a later build).
Old 02-08-2018, 06:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd99336 View Post
Interesting.....I wonder if it is a regional situation or perhaps date of construction issue (although mine was bought in Feb 2016 which still would have been a later build).
I bought mine 05/2016 and it is a fiberglass roof.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahootate View Post
Absolutely big differences. Greyhawk has so many more features. Dealer gave me a list but not sure if I can find that list. If I do I'll post. I remember thinks like 8-way adjustable driver seat and second TV in bedroom and J ride Plus but there were so many more on the list

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Lanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:50 PM   #13

I think I may have egg on my face. I crawled up on the roof tonight and what I thought was EDPM may actually be fiberglass. It is textured and beige/eggshell in color and no seams. The thing that threw me is that it doesn't appear to have the typical rigidity of fiberglass that I am accustomed to. Rather, it almost has a softness to it, but when I tap it with my fingernail....it's hard. So I apologize to all for my error.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:03 PM   #14

A couple more things to add for the Grey. It has a much wider cab stepboard to help get into the rig, and the interior doors(2) are sliding wood doors, and not the accordion style. The wood doors are my wifes favorite cause she can't hear me snore.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote