Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-08-2020, 06:51 AM   #1

Redhawk 24B Battery Compartment + Solar Question

I understand the battery compartment in this rig is under the stairs in the entrance. I had two questions (1) how many batteries can fit in that compartment? and (2) has anyone installed Solar on this rig? Where did you place components (charge controller, etc)?

I guess that's three questions.

2021 Jayco Redhawk 24B
Home Base: Colorado
Brian_HR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:05 AM   #2

Adding a battery to Greyhawk 26Y

I have a Greyhawk 26Y and my batteries are in the stairs.
The stock battery is pitiful @ 58AH.

-----------------
I installed a second battery but it was tight.
I had to disconnect the first one and tilt it upward at 45 while putting in the second. Then drop the first on back down. No extra room.
I added a plastic cover over the + terminals because I don't like them exposed when the stair door is open. one droped wrench and KABOOM.
--------------------
It was news to me that you should not discharge your batteries below 50% so I decided that I needed a better monitoring system. Especially showiing what the battery discharge current is for various loads.
So while I was at it I added a much better battery monitor than the led array that comes with the camper. https://amzn.to/36Hr2pW
There is a video out there on the install of this meter which is quite a bit less expensive than the popular Vivtron.

Now I know exactly what current my DC loads are drawing. Planning for dry camping generator use was much easier. Especially since most camp sites do not allow running generators at night and I use a CPAP.

I wired the monitors sensor cable under the battery compartment and then up into the sink cabinet where I drilled a hole (yikes) and mounted it. I found access holes for other wires going to that cabinet and added these wires with some additional sealer.

I mounted the shunt under the upper left lip of the battery compartments wall, which was very tight. I pulled back the weather striping and drilled 2 holes and used stainless contersunk screws that are threaded into the shunts plastic body.

The upgrade also requires a + & - jumper connection (1/0) to the second battery.
You will need to measure the size for you application. I think mine was 12" and they have ring tounges on each end. I got mine from a local auto parts store.

Consistent with my experience so far the wiring in the battery area was sloppy and little attention was given to chafing etc. While in the battery compartment I tied everything up in the compartment and below it.

On my first time dry camping I was very glad I had this addition. Since then I find it very useful to know exactly what the DC electrical system is doing.

----------------------
As for solar mine is supposedly "solar ready" but Jayco was not helpful in providing wiring diagrams and instructions on how to do an upgrade. I think there is a plug on the roof and that just goes to the batteries. How and where you put the solar controller .... seems noone knows.
I abandoned my usual flail with Jayco for schematics and wiring diagrams because I decided not to pursue the rooftop upgrade.
I noticed that there are some solar drawings in the document section of this forum.

This is probably a expansive subject but I decided that a rooftop was not worth it for the type of camping we do. I plan a 200-300 watt portable with integrated controller later on.

Battery info:
Group 24
Stock Battery: noname @ 58AH (per Jayco)
Add: battery SSB 24MSJ @72AH (I think from OBriens Auto)
Total capacity: 130AH [I would like more but this worked fine]
I will replace the stock battery with a higher capacity later.

Note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
Attached Thumbnails
20200602_152919.jpg   20201007_170736.jpg  

don_kleinschnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:56 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_HR View Post
I understand the battery compartment in this rig is under the stairs in the entrance. I had two questions (1) how many batteries can fit in that compartment? and (2) has anyone installed Solar on this rig? Where did you place components (charge controller, etc)?

I guess that's three questions.
Yes, it's under the stairs. It holds 2 - Group 24 batteries, the rig usually comes with one basic battery (which will probably be half dead).

It just wired for the panels. Connections on the roof run down to the compartment next to the propane tank. You can install the charge controller in this compartment. Then, you need to run the cables from the charge controller to the batteries and add the jumper cable between the batteries.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:28 PM   #4

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0634.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	64406

Name:	IMG_0635.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	64407

Name:	IMG_0639.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	64408

Name:	IMG_0665.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	64409

Name:	IMG_0704.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	64410
Jayco 24B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:04 PM   #5

@don_kleinschnitz, thank you for the great write-up and the pictures really help. I'm definitely interested increasing the battery capacity when the rig comes in. I like how you installed the battery monitor and were you placed the shunt. Looks like a great install. Have you done anything with any of the other electronic components (charger, inverter, etc)?

One question, what are the wires with the red cap on the left side of the battery compartment? Was that something you put in or is that stock?

2021 Jayco Redhawk 24B
Old 10-09-2020, 06:05 PM   #6

@Jayco 24B, nice photos, thanks for sharing. Looks like a pretty nice solar setup. How many watts of solar did you put on the roof?

2021 Jayco Redhawk 24B
Old 10-09-2020, 06:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Yes, it's under the stairs. It holds 2 - Group 24 batteries, the rig usually comes with one basic battery (which will probably be half dead).

It just wired for the panels. Connections on the roof run down to the compartment next to the propane tank. You can install the charge controller in this compartment. Then, you need to run the cables from the charge controller to the batteries and add the jumper cable between the batteries.
Thanks @RetiredOne, I'll need to checkout the space in that compartment. I'm ultimately hoping to fit a solar charge controller and an inverter/charger into the rig and hope that compartment is large enough.

2021 Jayco Redhawk 24B
Old 10-09-2020, 06:27 PM   #8

200 watts. Here is the link.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-10-2020, 08:34 AM   #9

I did not add that red capped connection.
I think that may be one of the battery system relays, not sure .

The only other electrical change I have made is to move the slide controller under the bed.
If the slide gets stuck out you need to be able to get to the motor cables to manually move it and in mine they are innacessable when the slide is in.

I also prepared for the the motorized awning to get stuck out!

https://youtu.be/AJQI0iPCK5A

Old 03-30-2021, 06:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_kleinschnitz View Post
I have a Greyhawk 26Y and my batteries are in the stairs.
The stock battery is pitiful @ 58AH.

-----------------
I installed a second battery but it was tight.
I had to disconnect the first one and tilt it upward at 45 while putting in the second. Then drop the first on back down. No extra room.
I added a plastic cover over the + terminals because I don't like them exposed when the stair door is open. one droped wrench and KABOOM.
--------------------
It was news to me that you should not discharge your batteries below 50% so I decided that I needed a better monitoring system. Especially showiing what the battery discharge current is for various loads.
So while I was at it I added a much better battery monitor than the led array that comes with the camper. https://amzn.to/36Hr2pW
There is a video out there on the install of this meter which is quite a bit less expensive than the popular Vivtron.

Now I know exactly what current my DC loads are drawing. Planning for dry camping generator use was much easier. Especially since most camp sites do not allow running generators at night and I use a CPAP.

I wired the monitors sensor cable under the battery compartment and then up into the sink cabinet where I drilled a hole (yikes) and mounted it. I found access holes for other wires going to that cabinet and added these wires with some additional sealer.

I mounted the shunt under the upper left lip of the battery compartments wall, which was very tight. I pulled back the weather striping and drilled 2 holes and used stainless contersunk screws that are threaded into the shunts plastic body.

The upgrade also requires a + & - jumper connection (1/0) to the second battery.
You will need to measure the size for you application. I think mine was 12" and they have ring tounges on each end. I got mine from a local auto parts store.

Consistent with my experience so far the wiring in the battery area was sloppy and little attention was given to chafing etc. While in the battery compartment I tied everything up in the compartment and below it.

On my first time dry camping I was very glad I had this addition. Since then I find it very useful to know exactly what the DC electrical system is doing.

----------------------
As for solar mine is supposedly "solar ready" but Jayco was not helpful in providing wiring diagrams and instructions on how to do an upgrade. I think there is a plug on the roof and that just goes to the batteries. How and where you put the solar controller .... seems noone knows.
I abandoned my usual flail with Jayco for schematics and wiring diagrams because I decided not to pursue the rooftop upgrade.
I noticed that there are some solar drawings in the document section of this forum.

This is probably a expansive subject but I decided that a rooftop was not worth it for the type of camping we do. I plan a 200-300 watt portable with integrated controller later on.

Battery info:
Group 24
Stock Battery: noname @ 58AH (per Jayco)
Add: battery SSB 24MSJ @72AH (I think from OBriens Auto)
Total capacity: 130AH [I would like more but this worked fine]
I will replace the stock battery with a higher capacity later.

Note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
Did you connect your chassis battery to the charge controller? My charge controller will charge both house and chassis and I cant seem to find out where the chassis battery cable goes.
JPScalise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 07:39 AM   #11

If by charge controller you mean the solar charge controller, I do not have a solar system installed.

Old 04-03-2021, 06:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_HR View Post
One question, what are the wires with the red cap on the left side of the battery compartment? Was that something you put in or is that stock?
That red rubber cap is covering a DC voltage circuit breaker. Some will auto reset after over heating, some have a tiny button usually on the narrow end that you have to push to reset the breaker. They come in various amperages. But don't forget, if it trips you have to figure out why it did and address the problem.
Mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco 24B View Post
Trying to help a friend add solar to his 2019 Redhawk 26B - Do you know what size the wires are from the factory solar prep? And are they MC4 connections? Thanks!

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:49 PM   #14

Name:	CBF678E1-B6AA-4FC0-B196-677CDB743380.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	71101

Name:	4662E084-29E6-4D58-AE91-1CFB0AC3C3F7.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	71102
Old 05-06-2021, 07:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco 24B View Post
Thanks, but I meant the ones pre-installed from the factory from the roof down. Trying to figure out how many amps they will handle... I'm guessing not much.

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone campin View Post
Thanks, but I meant the ones pre-installed from the factory from the roof down. Trying to figure out how many amps they will handle... I'm guessing not much.
The solar prep wires in my Greyhawk are 8 GA. Not sure if the Redhawks use the same or not. If you ask Jayco (motorizedservice@jayco.com) they'll send you the schematic with wire sizes annotated.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone campin View Post
The Zamp rooftop connection on my Keystone Cougar (same concept factory pre-installed solar wiring) is embossed with "maximum 500 watts". It pay to take a close look at the rooftop gland on your friend's RV. It may tell you what you need to know. BTW, mine was wired with 8ga.

Mike
Mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote